Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Go Pro Hero3 Should I do it?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
They are great for a quick film or a second or third angle. You control of from your phone. You can turn it on/off change settings etc. Also preview your view. So you can fine tune the angle. Some day mine is gonna be at that right angle to catch blood splatter

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Alright that's what I was getting at. I'm more in need of a camcorder right now. I will get a gopro eventually but I think I'm gonna get a decent HD camcorder first.

Thanks Flute!

How much you looking to spend? The guy that bought my setup is selling it bc he isn't going to use it. EVERYTHING you will need and I baby my stuff. Plus I had everything dipped in predator camo. Here's a quick pic:

teej89

NE PA
Damn that looks sick but I probably can't afford that setup lol $500 is around my max, saving up for a down payment on a truck in January.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If $500 is your max, then maybe the GoPro is for you. If you are thinking of trying to film your hunts from beginning to end and trying to market for DVD or TV then forget about it. That is a competitive arena. If you just want to hold onto your memories (which is what I do) then I would think the GoPro would be a good starting place. You can always add additional cameras at a later date or buy the stuff a piece at a time. Maybe a camera first, a camera arm next, a fluid head later, etc. Don't forget about after the footage either. Editing software and a computer which can handle it make the GoPro look cheap.

Either way, thanks for the heads up on the deal.

teej89

NE PA
If $500 is your max, then maybe the GoPro is for you. If you are thinking of trying to film your hunts from beginning to end and trying to market for DVD or TV then forget about it. That is a competitive arena. If you just want to hold onto your memories (which is what I do) then I would think the GoPro would be a good starting place. You can always add additional cameras at a later date or buy the stuff a piece at a time. Maybe a camera first, a camera arm next, a fluid head later, etc. Don't forget about after the footage either. Editing software and a computer which can handle it make the GoPro look cheap.

Either way, thanks for the heads up on the deal.

Hmmm maybe I will buy it haha! Cuz I'm just using it for memories and what not. I'm hoping I get my buck before my dad so I can hang in the tree with him and video him. It'd cool many many years down the road to show my kids the old man killing a deer. Also my good bud, a pure city kid, is coming up this fall and getting an apprentice license for gun season so I'm gonna video him also.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
The GoPro is a great second angle camera and captures nice footage. You limit yourself to zoom, but can still gather what's going on at a distance. Your best bet is to mount it to your bow IMO for what you want. Heck you could prob get a GoPro and a Kodak Playsport for $500, or just some accessories for the GoPro like extra batteries, barrel mount, ect. Don't expect tv style footage tho, check out YouTubes vids from GoPro's, Either way you'll have fun with it. Usually it leads into other addictions and next season you'll be looking at cameras like the one I had!!!! Good luck and have fun getting addicted.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I ordered mine Sunday and it was at the house this afternoon. I didn't get to mess with it much before heading to work, but man, that thing is tiny! I'd say it isn't much thicker than a deck of cards, and about the same dimension tall and wide. There are so many different features with this camera, I'm not even sure where to begin.

I got the Black Version, along with coming with a wireless remote, the camera is also beefed up in the resolution and processing power departments (compared to the silver and white). It will film 1080p at 60fps and 720p at 120! I'm anxious to try some stuff on it @ 720p, and then replay it in slow motion.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase initially, just gotta figure out how I intend to use it!