Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DJK Frank 16's 2013 Hunting Log

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Made it out yesterday to check out a few sets from last year and make sure everything was in working order. Took the .22 along but never seen any squirrels. Was happy with the deer sign I was seeing as well as the camera pull. Really hoping for a frost before opening weekend, the mosquitoes were still horrible out there. I moved my camera over to the trail I will more than likely be hunting on evening on opening weekend. I will give it a two week soak and try to sneak in during a rain shower to pull and see what's using the trail.

I still have some permission slips to hopefully get signed and maybe a stand or two to hang, but things look to be shaping up nicely for a great season!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck buddy! Hope you're climbing some tree here soon. Look forward to reading those updates & hopefully seeing a nice hero pic with a big buck!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
crickets..... crickets......

LOL I finally had a chance to dust off the hunting gear on Friday, as my company takes Friday off on Veterans day week. Anyways, my plan was to spend the day getting caught up on house work and get caught up on homework for the weekend so I could get a few hunts in. Around 9:00AM on Friday a buddy of mine calls and tells me there is a doe bedded down with two nice bucks on a railroad bed. It so happens that the fencerow running to the North connects to small thicket that I have permission on. So I figured I would attempt a stalk on these bedded deer and worse case scenario I blow them over to the thicket.

So I get all showered and smoked and ready. When I arrived my buddy showed me where the deer were bedded. I glass a 120ish 8 point that i have pictures of as well as a really nice 140-150 inch 10 pointer that I hadn't seen before. I throw on my gear and head down the railroad bed. My buddy text me and said that there was a third buck in there somewhere, but my focus was on the two bigger ones, as either one would be a shooter for me given the opportunity.

I ended up sneaking with 40 yards of the two bigger bucks, but needed another 10 yards to get to an opening in which I could shoot. I was almost where I needed to be when I look down to my right and bedded not 15 feet from me is the 3rd buck that I had forgot about. He was a little guy and as soon as I turned my head and noticed him he busted and took the 2 other bucks and hot doe straight to the thicket. No luck, but exciting to say the least.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
So, with the hot doe in the area and two confirmed shooters, my buddy and I decided to get a plan together and go in after them. He has permission on the property to the west where they were shelling corn and I would hunt the thicket. I decided to take my lone wolf sticks and stand and setup where the fence row met the woods, as they it looked like they had bedded down about 100 yards before the the ticket. We got setup by 1:30PM and by 2:00PM all hell had broken loose in that field. Bucks chasing does, bucks busting out of the standing corn in front of the combine and joining the chase, it was nuts. Deer seemed to come from every direction possible. I had shots at 4 small bucks but nothing worthy of an arrow. My buddy ended up seeing 8 different bucks, including the two shooters at 35 yards. He grunted, snort wheezed, and did everything short of screaming at those bucks, but with the wind and them being in full chase mode, no luck on stopping them for a shot.

Absolute awesome hunt and it felt great being back in a tree. I hope to get back after them around Thanksgiving as well as some late season hunts in December.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That was a great hunt you two had on Friday Drake!!! It's been so long since I had a hunt like you described I can't remember when! I hope you're able to get out after them again before the ruts winds down buddy but I know you have a lot other stuff going on making it tough for you to get out. Good luck on your next hunt!