Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mature buck movement

mrex

*Supporting member*
One aspect of mother nature that’s hard to argue against is the fact she never leaves anything to chance. Everything centers around perpetuating the species. Charlie Alsheimer believes that moon phase triggers the rut. His apponents argue there's to much variation in timing. What is the significance of moon positioning and why does it alter wildlife behavior?

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Always enjoy reading articles like this one. What's fun about technology & furthering scientific studies is the realization that we still don't really know jack squat about the animals running around the planet. Including humans. We learn more each and every day, but there is still such a huge amount of "unknown." I hope we don't figure things out all the way either. Having that mystery factor of the unknown makes things fun every time we step outdoors.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
One aspect of mother nature that’s hard to argue against is the fact she never leaves anything to chance. Everything centers around perpetuating the species. Charlie Alsheimer believes that moon phase triggers the rut. His apponents argue there's to much variation in timing. What is the significance of moon positioning and why does it alter wildlife behavior?

That's a question we will probably never know for sure here on earth, but I have studied it a lot and the main significance is the gravitational pull that the moon exerts onto the earth during its various positions, and the effect that the gravitational pull has on causing Ungulates to get on their feet and feed. When the moon is directly overhead (center of sky) and directly underfoot (we cant see it during daylight hours but it would be in exact center of Earth below us) is when it has the most pull on Earth, with directly overhead having the most pull of all.

As a side note, when these direct overhead and direct underfoot positions fall close to sunrise or sunset (Best Moon time of all), there is usually a 1st quarter and 2nd quarter moon (or half moon). The Phase is not the significant factor though, more so just something that is there.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very good read Mike. Thanks for the link.

I also agree with Seth,Zack and Brock about the overhead/underfoot during sun up and sun down as being great times to being in the tree.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always enjoy reading articles like this one. What's fun about technology & furthering scientific studies is the realization that we still don't really know jack squat about the animals running around the planet. Including humans. We learn more each and every day, but there is still such a huge amount of "unknown." I hope we don't figure things out all the way either. Having that mystery factor of the unknown makes things fun every time we step outdoors.

Excellent post. Mirrors my opinions very much.

I know very little about moon positioning but tried to follow it last year. Seemed to be something there but maybe it was coincidence and wishful thinking on my part.

Lundy

No peer-reviewed scientific data to-date has revealed a correlation between moon phase and breeding dates and/or deer movements. However, numerous studies have shown a correlation between photoperiod (the length of daylight) and breeding dates. You do the math.

This has been a pretty common, accepted, scientific finding for decades, yet every year many ask "when the rut take place this year?" Well, it will be the same time as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that............:)

Could this common, accepted, scientific finding be proven wrong someday? Maybe, but..........................

Nice read Mike, agrees generally with many of my own backyard biologist beliefs that are based on zero scientific study:)

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
If i am looking at the lunar calnder based on what everyone is saying with overhead and underfoot, the 2nd week of november would be the best time to be in the woods with the moon actually being out and overhead/under foot. The first week si the new moon. I am also reading that the first week of nov. is supposed to be the best, but I am not sure I am believing that now...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
October
24th – Moon Underfoot 5:25pm
25th – Moon Overhead 5:49am – Moon Underfoot 6:12pm
26th - Moon Overhead 6:35am – Moon Underfoot 6:57pm
27th - Moon Overhead 7:20am
28th - Moon Overhead 8:04am
29th - Moon Overhead 8:49am
30th - Moon Overhead 9:34am
31st - Moon Overhead 10:20am

November
1st - Moon Overhead 11:09am
2nd - Moon Overhead 12:01pm
3rd - Moon Overhead 11:55pm
4th - Moon Overhead 12:53pm
5th - Moon Overhead 1:52pm
6th - Moon Overhead 2:53pm
7th - Moon Overhead 3:52pm
8th - Moon Overhead 4:49pm
9th – Rut Day
10th – Moon Underfoot 6:10am
11th - Moon Underfoot 7:01am
12th - Moon Underfoot 7:50am
13th - Moon Underfoot 8:38am
14th - Moon Underfoot 9:26am
15th - Moon Underfoot 10:14am
16th - Moon Underfoot 11:03am
17th - Moon Underfoot 11:52am
18th - Moon Underfoot 12:41pm
22nd - Moon Underfoot 3:52pm
23rd – Moon Underfoot 4:36pm
25th – Moon Overhead 5:42am
26th - Moon Overhead 6:26am
27th - Moon Overhead 7:11am

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Based on Wayne's last post I plan on hunting as much as possible from October 24th till last day of regular gun season like I do every year. Lol

Thanks for the lunar table Wayne.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I liked Lundy's response. Based on past experiences and nothing on what any of you said, nor what Charlie says or QDMA says, I will hunt as often as I can. :smiley_clap:

However, while hunting I will take notice of the positioning of the moon overhead or underfoot and continue to monitor for my own purposes whether there seems to be anymore correlation.