Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mature buck movement

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Good read. Provides some relief for me. I found the lack of moon phase correlations very interesting. Thanks for sharing Mike!

I did too until I realized they talked NOTHING about when the moon is overhead or underfoot during those times. Those are the moon phases to key in on IMO. Another thing they didn't talk much about was the thermals and how deer use them.... Sure I don't expect them to cover everything about mature deer when it comes to hunting them in a short page description but what they did post was interesting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for posting. However, I still believe the timing, not the phase, of the moon does effect movement. Not of just "mature" deer, but of dang near everything wild. The next time you see racoons, coyotes, fox etc out and about in daylight, check the moon rise/fall times. Those days where everything in the woods are active during daylight are rare. Moon rise/fall is the only common thread I've found. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have myself convinced.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure I am buying into all of it. I can see moon phase not making a huge difference. I am not 100% about all of it though. Hard to believe the weather fronts didn't make a difference. I might need to re-read the article and see if I didn't misread it.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I did too until I realized they talked NOTHING about when the moon is overhead or underfoot during those times. Those are the moon phases to key in on IMO. Another thing they didn't talk much about was the thermals and how deer use them.... Sure I don't expect them to cover everything about mature deer when it comes to hunting them in a short page description but what they did post was interesting.

Exactly. The position of moon is key, not the phase. There have been telemetry studies on this as well that prove it to be a very effective tool to use when mapping deer movement. Actual moon phase means next to nothing to me when compared to moons position. Get a moon directly over head or underfoot near sunrise or sunset and you better be ready.