Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Checking Cams or Over Checking Cams

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I try to hit my baited spots every 7-10 days and other spots I give at least 2 weeks. After my next check on Friday, I will leave my cams along until opening weekend. This year I've checked cams a lot less than usual and I hope that pays off in the long run. We've really been focused on putting as little pressure on our farm as possible for the past year and the rewards are starting to show...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Same with me Jesse. I've been going almost every week, but after this next pull they're staying out until i walk by them when I'm on my way to the stand. I need to get an apple hookup

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I still ran cameras, I'd check them whenever I felt like it. I'd also let the deer know I was coming by riding a four wheeler right to the camera. I wouldn't give it a second thought that I may run the deer off, they would know my routine as well as I would. The last thing I would try to do would be to try sneaking into the camera every 3 or 4 weeks. That would be a guarantee to scare the heck out of every deer I bumped into. Ever notice how deer are not at all afraid of a farmers equipment? I would want them that used to me.

Back in the day, the best way to get deer in front of a BEC was to drive to it, rattle the bait, make a bit of noise and leave. Deer show up within the hour.

I may put a cam up over the corner of a beanfield that I will be hunting on opening day, but I may not. If I do, I'll check it in the middle of the day, as often as I feel like making the drive.

buckstar25

T-county
So....Be honest, how long are you waiting before returning to check your cams?

Are you resisting the temptation? Or are you running back a week later to see what showed up?

BE HONEST!

Every week, regardless. Longest this year has been 12 days. We always make as much unnatural noise as we can, I honestly don't worry about any of the other stuff, defeats the purpose for me. Come November all bets are off anyway! I will say though, every year I try and see how long I can go without checking them, it's usually 7 days!!

I also forgot about one of our junk wildgame cams, that mutha stayed in the woods without being checked for 9 months!

RDM

western OH
early summer I check every two weeks depended on the property and if I can get in without to much intrusion. this time of summer and when they break up from bachelor groups and start moving to where they will spend there fall time, different story I stay out as much as possible

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Seems like the average is about 2 weeks. I am a little surprised. I may rethink my plans to hold out so long.

Just my opinion Marcus, if you can drive an ATV or truck right up to your camera leaving a lot less human scent around you can get away with visiting your camera on shorter durations. I prolly should be much more patient in my situation cuz I have to walk a 800-900 yard elonginated loop to check my 3 cams. That's why as we get closer to the season opener I need to just hold back and check them next when I go into hunt and when I'm walking by them. Just my .02.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Just my opinion Marcus, if you can drive an ATV or truck right up to your camera leaving a lot less human scent around you can get away with visiting your camera on shorter durations. I prolly should be much more patient in my situation cuz I have to walk a 800-900 yard elonginated loop to check my 3 cams. That's why as we get closer to the season opener I need to just hold back and check them next when I go into hunt and when I'm walking by them. Just my .02.

That's a good point Ric. 3 of my 5 are in easy access places where I set them by riding an utv right to the trees they are on. I may give those three a look. The one I really want to check is near the tree my dad missed his buck of a lifetime in last year. We think he made it through last season. I woUld love to get a pic of him.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Every 2 to 4 weeks but i can drive the tractor to most of them and just leave the tractor running while checking them so could just check once a week but like to just let them go and get more pics.I think next year when i have a good idea whats in the area to just cutting back to 1 or 2 cameras.Maybe just put them on some mock scrapes to get some scrape action pics.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
Typically I check mine every 3-4 weeks. This year has been more like 4-6 weeks. I try to put them in easy access points where I can ride my 4-wheeler right up to them and then get out of the area. As someone already stated, they don't seem to be that afraid of motor noise but I still try to make it quick so I don't push my luck. All of my spots are baited in some way just to get them to stop in front of the camera. The bait is probably long gone by the time I check the cameras but they still come to the area to check it.