Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So you want some smoked cheese ??

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My will power amazed me. After just finishing up my two camps, I had very nice compliments. I'll be honest & say it wasn't the taste I was hoping for, then again, I didn't know what TOO expect. Still, it's a very good flavor. I still have a number of packs that haven't been opened yet. At my 2nd camp, everyone was amazed at what I used to smoke the cheese. I took my smoker with me, expecting to use it to smoke out the ladybugs in the camper that invade, but show & tell was fun just the same. I hope your effort turned out nicely.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hey kevin. I know you had some awesome cheese at strouds and mentioned you perfected the process. Just can't find it. I'm going to try this today with a block of cheddar. Any tips?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I made my next batch, I smoked the cheese a bit longer ..... maybe 30 min on each side. I dunno if turning is really needed. I kept that batch sealed from Oct to Christmas. It all turned out pretty good for such a simple process. Just give er a try !

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool. The block I have is 2lbs. I have a barrel smoker with an offset firebox. Thinking of loading up the scent smoker and putting it in the firebox. Then putting the cheese in the barrel close to the opening for the firebox.

Jamie

Ohio
it is my understanding that when smoking stuff like cheese, fish, bacon, sausages in fibrous or inedible collagen casings, you want to dry them off very thoroughly before applying smoke. with cheese, fish and bacon you want to dry them enough to form a thin pellicle on the outside. this encourages absorption of the smoke flavor, keeps it from "sweating" while applying smoke. and with cheese, definitely do not eat it for a few weeks. seal it up and allow that smoke flavor to permeate the entire block of cheese for a while. smoked parmesan is the bomb. everything you grate in on has a just a hint of smokey flavor.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I smoke a shit ton of cheese. The best tips I can give is, as was seal it up and let it rest AT LEAST a month after smoking. Keep the smoker under 70 degrees and above freezing. Vent the smoker. Do not over smoke, 2 hours is good enough. Sealed up and in the fridge it will last for many many months.