Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The heck with deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Redid about half of the jelly and got it to set. While I had all the canning stuff out I went ahead and did 6 pints of dill pickle spears too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378600430.274707.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Put up about 48 ears of sweet corn tonight in the freezer. Got about 10 pounds of green beans to can tomorrow too.

Sweet to see that stuff!! No one up here I know does anything with stuff they pick. They pick berries and fruit at the supermarket and likely have no idea where stuff even comes from. Just like my step mom down there in Ohio she has been making applesauce, pies, etc. from the stuff she has been picking all summer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How do you do your corn Joe?

Next year I will be set up to can and freeze food. I need to build us a pantry and get our storage situation better organized first. Plus get an upright freezer...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sweet to see that stuff!! No one up here I know does anything with stuff they pick. They pick berries and fruit at the supermarket and likely have no idea where stuff even comes from. Just like my step mom down there in Ohio she has been making applesauce, pies, etc. from the stuff she has been picking all summer.

Tell me about it. Clark county has a rummage sale Facebook page with about 10,000 followers where people post things. I posted looking for mason of ball jars. Not one reply. But hey it's Springfield. You can't buy jars on wic or food stamps.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How do you do your corn Joe?

Next year I will be set up to can and freeze food. I need to build us a pantry and get our storage situation better organized first. Plus get an upright freezer...

Husk it. Blanch in boiling water for 5 min. Ice bath to stop the cooking. Freeze in gallon bags with air removed.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Husk it. Blanch in boiling water for 5 min. Ice bath to stop the cooking. Freeze in gallon bags with air removed.

That's the same way we did ours as well, I thawed out a quart bag last night just to try it (first time I had ever put up corn) and it tasted damn near as good as it did fresh.