Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Buddy asked if I wanted to go goose hunting since we are done with deer. I thought about it for a while then said why not. Got my stamps o IMG_20161204_165717450.jpgIMG_20161204_153940376_HDR.jpgnline and headed out. We ended up with three each. Can't wait to go again.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good work man! I did the same thing earlier this week. One of the bonuses of getting a couple deer early!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thanks! Yeah i kind of got out of duck and goose hunting. The last goose i killed was back in 1984 lol. duck hunted since then and got ducks but no geese. I could really get hooked on this field hunting. Had 16 bigfoots with a couple dozen cut outs and it did the trick. Really loved the goose chairs!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We had a decent opener down here last weekend. Ice forced us to hunt our public land spot on the river Saturday and conditions were tough with the fog. We managed a drake mallard and two drake ringnecks. We were going to take Sunday off when I got a call from a buddy who was all over a few hundred ducks and geese. Unfortunately we got a heavy rain and when we got to the river in the AM, it was a mess. With only a dog and a kayak for retrievals, it was just too dangerous to hunt. Thankfully he picked up a sweet field close to my house and we spent most of the day there. We scratched out a drake mallard and 4 geese. This field will be smoking hot in a few more weeks, so our best hunts are still ahead.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We had a decent opener down here last weekend. Ice forced us to hunt our public land spot on the river Saturday and conditions were tough with the fog. We managed a drake mallard and two drake ringnecks. We were going to take Sunday off when I got a call from a buddy who was all over a few hundred ducks and geese. Unfortunately we got a heavy rain and when we got to the river in the AM, it was a mess. With only a dog and a kayak for retrievals, it was just too dangerous to hunt. Thankfully he picked up a sweet field close to my house and we spent most of the day there. We scratched out a drake mallard and 4 geese. This field will be smoking hot in a few more weeks, so our best hunts are still ahead.
Good decision man. It's sad but there's a ton of jackasses out there that would have taken that risk, just for the chance to kill a few ducks. Hell, in my early 20's I may have been one of those jackasses. But you did the right thing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good decision man. It's sad but there's a ton of jackasses out there that would have taken that risk, just for the chance to kill a few ducks. Hell, in my early 20's I may have been one of those jackasses. But you did the right thing.
Well... my buddy did test it out just to make sure... 😂

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We made an evening hunt last night on the river. No shots fired, but we saw 200 geese and 100 ducks, so it was far from boring. Headed to our blind now. The river is still up and full of debris. We have plenty of water in our hole and the ice isn't terrible. Should be a halfway decent day.

Good luck to anyone else heading out!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i just bought my stamps gonna give it a shot tomorrow, my brother and cousin are out right now but the waters frozen if we could get a hole thru the ice we would kill the hell out of them. think we will be stuck hunting the little river behind the lake. like ive said before ive got a killer spot but never really hunted them much. i think i need to start a trackhoe and open up a corner of the lake.

Wmiller07

IMG_20161223_171019285.jpg

Well I got o e today. It was a tough day hunting. Saw hundreds of geese fly off the river but they didn't want anything to do with us. I had to sky busted this one but I really wanted the dog to get on a goose again. She is progressing very well as this is only the fourth time she's seen birds. I'm going to give killbuck marsh a shot Wednesday morning so hopefully I can get a duck for her.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Anyone having any luck I was able to go Monday no luck everything was flying high and didn't wanna land.the farmer has turned the corn fields already and the ponds are frozen so that's not helping. I still have alot to learn I'm gonna try to get out this week again. My brother and cousin killed a couple geese and mallards off the river yesterday but he said the didn't see much besides the ones they shot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's been slow down here. No shots fired last two hunts. Backwater spots have been froze and river has been a mess. Certainly hunted better conditions.

Wmiller07

Boy did I have an interesting day. It was my first duck hunt so I got to killbuck marsh a little before 5 am and that was my first mistake. I hiked in about a quarter of a mile and decided to leave some of my gear behind and find a good spot and come back for it thinking I wouldn't go far. That was mistake number two. Killbuck Creek was very high with a strong current. I stepped in off the bank and decided that place was a little too deep. I found d another spot, stepped off the bank and I was in water up to my chest. That was pretty scary and I pulled myself out. I grabbed my gear, put on some dry clothes and found a spot. I then realized I didn't have my gun. So after about five minutes of freaking out I found it. I decided to go grab my other gear and start to set up. Well I somehow got lost for about an hour and a half and had to stop at an Amish guy's house and ask where I was. He laughed and told me my car was parked on the other side of his field. To top things off I didn't shoot a thing and somehow on the walk out I set my gun down again and I had to walk back to the marsh from my car and get it. The moral of the story is never go somewhere in the dark you aren't familiar with. This by far my most memorable hunt to date.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Got a call from my brother saying he was going to pick up my cousin and a couple friends that were hunting on the river today they flipped the canoe nobody hurt and luckily it wasn't extremely cold out but they lost the canoe.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Got a call from my brother saying he was going to pick up my cousin and a couple friends that were hunting on the river today they flipped the canoe nobody hurt and luckily it wasn't extremely cold out but they lost the canoe.

Damn, hate hearing this shit... glad they're ok but it gets bad in the blink of the eye....

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Boy did I have an interesting day. It was my first duck hunt so I got to killbuck marsh a little before 5 am and that was my first mistake. I hiked in about a quarter of a mile and decided to leave some of my gear behind and find a good spot and come back for it thinking I wouldn't go far. That was mistake number two. Killbuck Creek was very high with a strong current. I stepped in off the bank and decided that place was a little too deep. I found d another spot, stepped off the bank and I was in water up to my chest. That was pretty scary and I pulled myself out. I grabbed my gear, put on some dry clothes and found a spot. I then realized I didn't have my gun. So after about five minutes of freaking out I found it. I decided to go grab my other gear and start to set up. Well I somehow got lost for about an hour and a half and had to stop at an Amish guy's house and ask where I was. He laughed and told me my car was parked on the other side of his field. To top things off I didn't shoot a thing and somehow on the walk out I set my gun down again and I had to walk back to the marsh from my car and get it. The moral of the story is never go somewhere in the dark you aren't familiar with. This by far my most memorable hunt to date.

Damn thats crazy. Glad you're safe