Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

tjeep

Duck Commander Army was out in full force this weekend. I hunt the Ohio River, and had only seen a couple boats all season. Had 5 boats set around me Saturday, 2 jackasses cruise in at 8am set up for an hour across river from me, started blowing their Kazoo's nonstop. Next this i notice smoke across the river, they built a fire 30 yds from their spread mind you it was 47 degrees. Sunday was more of the same Kazoo blowing and sky busting jackwaggons! Think I will just stay home the last weekend next year. I did manage a good shoot Friday, before all the Googins showed up!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
That's cool . Neat imagining the miles that birds traveled and how many times its been in a flock that got shot into .

We've got a lot of locally banded geese around here , and its great whenever ya shoot a band . But for some reason it feels a smidge better when its a bird banded in some far away place , and not 5 miles away . lol .

JPN

coshocton
That's cool . Neat imagining the miles that birds traveled and how many times its been in a flock that got shot into.

We know Marcus's goose had been shot at a few times atleast. Lol. There was a group set up a couple hundred yards up river from us that whiffed on it and it flew right into our spread.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Haha , did ya yell "its banded " to rub it in ? Its really amazing when ya think about it . I've shot birds with healed pellets in the breast meat and even found them with healed pellet holes in the webbing of their feet . We kinda take em for granted , but if ya think about it its amazing . I shot one 2 yrs ago that was banded in Nunavut , Ontario 8 yrs prior . That bird had traveled migrated back and forth 8 yrs running the gauntlet prior to me killing it . On the flip side we've killed a lot of locals that are up to 8 yrs old . This area gets pounded and they lived their whole life without getting shot . Pretty cool when ya figure the odds .

One of the bands I killed this yr was from moosonee , Ontario in 2012 and all the others were locals . All of them have likely survived multiple encounters with hunters .

I've killed banded ducks from Manitoba, Ontario , and Nova Scotia. That stuff just amazes me and gives me a reality check about these birds journey and the hazards they encounter . Makes me respect them even more . They aren't all local " sky carp " .

Last edited:

tjeep

I shot a Red Head on the river last year that was banded in Alberta, long flight. He probably buzzed my spread in October while hunting in NoDak. All banded geese we shot this year were banded in Indy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The banding info is definitely cool stuff. When I went with Kaiser to MO for snow geese, I killed a banded blue snow. It was banded on July 7, 1998 in Churchill, Manitoba, CA. I killed it 13 years later and 1,400 miles south in Marshall, MO. Talk about logging some miles!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
A buddy of mine shot a banded dove back in the late 90's. Had a band on each leg one was red and said 100$ reward. It was banded in Sandusky Ohio a couple months before it got shot in lake township. He made a cool display with the bands on a key ring hung on the certificate that he framed.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
The banding info is definitely cool stuff. When I went with Kaiser to MO for snow geese, I killed a banded blue snow. It was banded on July 7, 1998 in Churchill, Manitoba, CA. I killed it 13 years later and 1,400 miles south in Marshall, MO. Talk about logging some miles!

Tell me you mounted it?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
A buddy of mine shot a banded dove back in the late 90's. Had a band on each leg one was red and said 100$ reward. It was banded in Sandusky Ohio a couple months before it got shot in lake township. He made a cool display with the bands on a key ring hung on the certificate that he framed.

I shot a black duck about 10 yrs ago that had 100$ reward band . Ruined it . Now whenever I tell my wife I shot a band she always asks if its a reward band ? Can't she just be happy with a regular band ...Noooooo

Wmiller07

Well first day of the season was a bust. Saw one large flock a few miles in the air but that was it. I couldn't get on any fields I scouted so I went on an adjacent field I already had permission for. It was a long cold morning

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a damn good week on ducks. 3-man limit on Wednesday and I took my dad out yesterday afternoon, and we had our limit in just under an hour. Very special week. One I'll remember for a while!

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I've never been so stoked to see water in my life! This morning a couple buddies and I spent 2 hours with chainsaws, weedeater with 8" saw blade, and machetes clearing a four-wheeler trail to this spot. It is the most amazing mass of impenetrable brush I've ever witnessed. Well over 200 yards of jungle and swamp to get there. Mosquitos the size of small birds! But now I have access to a killer spot and we are in the planning stages of building a 4-man 4x12 blind with roof. I sweat my ass off in hopes of discovering a diamond in the rough and victory was sweet!!!

Would love to be there. Look like an awesome spot

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Had a good opener and shot a 3 man limit of ducks . Nice mixed bag of birds. We got out of there by 9 yesterday so we went back hoping for a redo today but it wasn't meant to be and we got 4 mallards and a woodie . Guess we should of layed into those first light wood ducks today .
Yesterday we got shovelers , gadwall , wigeon , GW teal , mallards , a pintail , and a woodie .