Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great job on the limits! We always did great at the mouth of the maumee hunting from turtle island then got into layout hunting. When the limit dropped to two birds my buddies sold there lay out boats and that was it.

We did the same thing! Used to make the trip up to the bay fairy regularly but once the limits dropped it was hard to justify keeping the layout. I sure do miss it though!

Wmiller07

Alright fellas I'm putting some feelers out again. I'm thinking about hunting killbuck marsh this weekend if anyone wants to go. Sunday morning looks pretty good weather wise if anyone is interested.

JPN

coshocton
Alright fellas I'm putting some feelers out again. I'm thinking about hunting killbuck marsh this weekend if anyone wants to go. Sunday morning looks pretty good weather wise if anyone is interested.

You better go EARLY to get a spot. I hunted killbuck opening day and Thursday and it was packed! We went around 3 and there was already quite a few groups there.

Wmiller07

You better go EARLY to get a spot. I hunted killbuck opening day and Thursday and it was packed! We went around 3 and there was already quite a few groups there.

Doesn't look like I'll be going, wife says I hunt too much apparently. I've heard after opening week it gets a lot less crowded. How did you guys do?

Wmiller07

Well had a pretty interesting hunt this morning. I got to the field early because the land owner told me someone else hunts it. Well that someone else showed up at 5:45 and asked if they could hunt with us. I said sure and it turns out the younger guy is big Al's son of big Al's decoys. We were joking around some because I use real geese. We only ended up shooting two geese but it was a fun hunt. All three were good guys and big Al's son is really good on the goose call.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Always good when it works out like that. Glad you guys had fun!

We're meeting up in the AM to scout our new acquisition in WV. Clutch pick up by my buddy. Gives us a roost spot and a field setup that are 5 minutes apart. I've only been out once, so I'm ready to get after it during the second split!

Wmiller07

Hope your 2nd split goes well. I'll probably be picking up some big Al's silos too. They are much lighter than reel geese and the birds that wanted in finished no problem. Oh and they are much cheaper too.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scratched out a couple gadwalls tonight with Betty girl. Lots of ice and a lot of birds left in the past couple days. Get ready down south fellers...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hope your 2nd split goes well. I'll probably be picking up some big Al's silos too. They are much lighter than reel geese and the birds that wanted in finished no problem. Oh and they are much cheaper too.

I have 3 dozen big Al’s and the birds finish no problem.

Check out Dive Bomb. We’re looking at getting some of those too.

Wmiller07

I have 3 dozen big Al’s and the birds finish no problem.

Check out Dive Bomb. We’re looking at getting some of those too.

Good to know thanks. Let me know what you think of the divebombs because I've been looking at their flocked silos.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We watched a raft of 300+ geese and 150 ducks in the river today get harassed by 2 male bald eagles. We also got to scout our new field and it's a damn goldmine. If the river freezes again, this spot with be the first place we kill a limit. Could happen even without it.

Wmiller07

We watched a raft of 300+ geese and 150 ducks in the river today get harassed by 2 male bald eagles. We also got to scout our new field and it's a damn goldmine. If the river freezes again, this spot with be the first place we kill a limit. Could happen even without it.

Sounds like a sweet place and that had to be cool watching those eagles.

loose_is_fast

McClure
We will be field hunting in the morning....... my buddy's shot 20 there this morning and got out quick leaving the layouts in place stuffed full of dekes. They drove by later and the blinds were right on the x. Tomorrow should be a perfect quick hunt.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We will be field hunting in the morning....... my buddy's shot 20 there this morning and got out quick leaving the layouts in place stuffed full of dekes. They drove by later and the blinds were right on the x. Tomorrow should be a perfect quick hunt.

That's as good as it gets right there. Having your gear 75% already set up, right where the birds want to be... Good luck!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
There piling in here now ducks geese and even swans. I really need to shoot a deer but got half a mind to sit on the water Saturday morning instead of deer hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20171213_105135545.jpg
    IMG_20171213_105135545.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 165

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm fighting that battle too! Plus, my buddy spent $900 at Cabelas last night on decoys, so we're officially a "legit" field hunting operation now after 5 years of fiddlefucking around. Looking forward to getting after some sky carp this winter!