Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My wanted to sleep in today after a long week, so I've been up since 6 with the kid. Someone better have some carnage to share in this thread cause I'm just seeing poopy diapers and Veggie Tales!!! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've never been so stoked to see water in my life! This morning a couple buddies and I spent 2 hours with chainsaws, weedeater with 8" saw blade, and machetes clearing a four-wheeler trail to this spot. It is the most amazing mass of impenetrable brush I've ever witnessed. Well over 200 yards of jungle and swamp to get there. Mosquitos the size of small birds! But now I have access to a killer spot and we are in the planning stages of building a 4-man 4x12 blind with roof. I sweat my ass off in hopes of discovering a diamond in the rough and victory was sweet!!!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Headed back to this spot to scout today and make some preps for our blind build. Then off to our other spot to build a brush blind. Pics to come!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Flushed 8-10 mallards off our new spot this morning. Also tested to see if I could us waders and how Remi did in it. No worries for either. We built a sweet brush blind at our river spot after that and saw several geese while we are there. I have a layout blind with snow cover coming as does my buddy. I'm officially set outside of a dog blind and 6 floating geese. I'm hitting the birds full bore this year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
John and I killed a couple geese last night. Could have limited but they came in a little late. It was a comedy of trials the whole night. John now has a boo-boo and we didn't have one of the geese retrieved until 9:45pm.

Fun but crazy night.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We had 60 or more birds trying to poor into this little pond. Hopefully they start coming a little earlier in the second season.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Put my temp. blind up on the lake yesterday. Did a evening hunt where the birds were at that morning and didn't see a single bird. Prepped a few spots for a better more permanent blind for duck opener on the lake. Funny thing is I've always been insanely hardcore about deer hunting and now with the pup I could truly care less whether I kill a good buck this year or not. Im still going to hunt OH & IN but I finally don't feel stressed about deer hunting and I gotta be honest its a breathe of fresh air!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Funny thing is I've always been insanely hardcore about deer hunting and now with the pup I could truly care less whether I kill a good buck this year or not. Im still going to hunt OH & IN but I finally don't feel stressed about deer hunting and I gotta be honest its a breathe of fresh air!!!

I am right there with you man. If you wanna head south for a hunt after things are out up there, let me know and we'll work something out. I'm no expert, but I'll get us out!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I am right there with you man. If you wanna head south for a hunt after things are out up there, let me know and we'll work something out. I'm no expert, but I'll get us out!

I'm in the South zone now. Still close enough to hunt the north zone tho. I've been told it gets halfway decent around here when it gets cold. I'm only used to shooting mallards and blacks with the occasional odd ball but I guess the lake next to me gets tons of divers and puddle ducks late season, so if you want a mix bag head on up for a hunt, your more than welcome anytime.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We don't get much of a mix down here either. You can kill mallards and geese here, with the occassional wood duck. If it gets cold and freezes up north, then we get a few different birds. I'd love to hunt somewhere new, so I may take you up on that and tag along sometime...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here is a look at my river spot. We built a solid little hide here last week. Can't wait to spend some time here!!!

This is the view looking to the left of the blind back up river...

Looking straight out of the blind...

Looking right towards the backwater...

The last thing birds will see before they go feet up...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Cool spot . Those river spots can get awesome late season when it gets cold . . Keep in mind when scouting ducks that what you see now changes a lot by late season . Weather conditions migration, hunting pressure and available food are always changing. Just be observant and as the yrs progress hunting your area you'll notice trends . I have spots that Ddon't have birds most times , but under the right conditions you better drop everything and get there cause its amazing. . Usually weather kills ducks, and wind is your friend .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
TTook Kai teal hunting, so along with normal gear I packed lots of snacks toy dinosaurs and a small bucket for swamp critters .
Got a decent workout carrying him thru deep water on my shoulder s, and the entire way back out . A dry hump with a patch of willow let him have play room while I could still hunt 10-20 yds from him .