Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Falls

Lundy

After watching the video of DeerJunkie falling and remembering my own experience when a tree step pulled out it reminded me of how quickly your life can change. My fall was minor compared to DeerJunkie's fall, big cut up my chest and a bunch of bruises.

I don't know if any of you know Mike. I don't know him well, I just shot in peer groups with him at a couple of IBO triple crown shoots years ago. Funny guy that was fun to shoot with. It was very sad to some years ago to learn what happened to him in an instant.

Everyone needs take special care, you never believe it will happen to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfkK3h2jqM

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Horrible, horrible, horrible.

He was at Deerassic Classic in 2011. I remembered seeing someone on stage in a wheelchair talking about not taking his harness with him that day, so I ran a search and sure enough, it was the same person.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just seen that post yesterday. What a lucky guy.
I had a 8 ft. stand that threw me 2 times the same night. I had it on too small of a tree and it wrapped around on me. I quit that night and moved it. Next day I shot the same buck from the night before when I fell.
The same stand moved while putting it up and I fell on top of a honeysuckle bush to break my fall.
I don't hang stands anymore by my self. Matter of fact I rigged up a block and tackle plus a foldup ladder for hanging ladder stands.
It happens so fast and so unplanned. No more climbing ladder stands that are not strapped on.

Buckmaster

Portage
I had an uncle die as a result of a tree stand fall. He broke his neck and was paralyzed from his neck down. He spent 9 months in the hospital before his death. He was fed thru a trake tube. Pneumonia, bed sores (infections) ended up taking him from being bed ridden so long.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A friends employee fell out of a deer stand and was stuck with one of his arrows and bled to death.
It happens.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know two fellas that are now paralyzed from the waist down due to treestand falls. Ladder tands are now my stand of chioce, but I've heard most falls are from ladder stands... I rarely hunt from hang ons these days. FYI fellas, deer aren't hard to kill from the ground, the view just isn't as good.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a very sobering story! Thank you Kim for sharing this! Very humbling to say the least. He sounds like a very nice gentleman and I applaud him for putting his story out there for others to take heed.

I remember the first time I saw this and Deerjunkies fall as well. Changes the way you hunt if you care about yourself and your family. Now all of my hang-on's have life line's and I am trying to talk my buddy into installing them on his....partly because I may use them as well LOL!!

I know two fellas that are now paralyzed from the waist down due to treestand falls. Ladder tands are now my stand of chioce, but I've heard most falls are from ladder stands... I rarely hunt from hang ons these days. FYI fellas, deer aren't hard to kill from the ground, the view just isn't as good.

You think ladder stands are high on the list because people are less likely to tie in using one or because of slippery steps? We are starting to only buy good ladder stands for new sets from here on out. The last one I got is a double rail that's 20' to the platform. Surprising how sturdy and comfortable it is as well as it doesn't stick out like the sore thumb I thought it would.