Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's on your feet?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm hard on boots. Hard like boots last me a year, regardless of quality. For that very reason, I've owned just about everything and I have to go through the shopping process on an annual basis. Once again, I'm looking for a good quality boot for hunting. I've always worn rubber boots and tend to still lean that direction. However after using Evercalm last year, I may stick to leather boots. That being said, I'm looking for some input. Here is what I've owned, how they have done me, and what I am leaning towards.

What I've owned...

Bass Pro ShurTrac 1200s: Decent boot if you don't plan on walking. Much TOO bulky for long walks or climbing with Lone Wolf sticks. Still use them for duck hunting from the boat.

Bass Pro BoneDry 400s: Again, decent boot for the money. However they lack in comfort. Not my first choice, but one I would consider again.

Irish Setter Rutmaster 17s: Great fit. Warm as hell. Held up like shit. Customer service was lackluster at best. Had they come through for me, I'd have found my boot for life. However they tore below the Exoflex System after only 9 months of wear.

Muck Boot Wetlands Another quality boot that I would consider buying again. These lasted 2 seasons before they cracked and lost their ability to hold out the water. My feet sweat like a whore in church in these things, so my feet were always cold. But for a boot that was comfortable, easy to get on and off, and good to walk in, these are among my favorites.

LaCrosse Alpha Mudlites: Absolute junk. I didn't even get a full season out of them.

Rocky MudSoxs: Good boot overall. Probably the best fitting rubber boot I've had to date and plenty warm. However the neoprene on the side is torn up just like the Muck and LaCrosse boots I've had with similar sides. I'll be staying away from boots with these kind of sides if I can avoid it. However I may buy these again if I can't find something else.

Right now I am considering the Under Armour HAW, LaCrosse AlphaBurly Sport, another pair of Muck Wetlands combined with better socks, and a pair of quality leather boots like the Cabelas Perfekt 10s by Meindl or a pair of Danners.

So what say ye?

runhunter

Lacrosse AlphaBurly's that I can't even begin to tell you how many days I've worn them over the past 6 years. Day in, day out, scouting, all 4 seasons etc.. Just finally starting to crack along the seam. Got every penny Is pent, and then some out of these boots. I also have a pair of Much Woody Elite's that are probably the most comofortable boot I've ever owned. I have a season and a half in them so far and no issues.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Are we talking a full season boot? I pick up a set of cheap, non insulated rubber boots from The local hardware store about every 2 years. They are only $20 or so. But they will last me pretty much completely through the rut. If it's a little cold out, I just wear some wool socks and that takes care of it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The shortest walk to any of my stands is 500 yards with a couple being close to a mile, so I need something built on comfort more than anything. I have cheap uninsulated boots I use to check cams and work in, but they won't cut it on the kind of walks I have here in hill country...

teej89

NE PA
The shortest walk to any of my stands is 500 yards with a couple being close to a mile, so I need something built on comfort more than anything. I have cheap uninsulated boots I use to check cams and work in, but they won't cut it on the kind of walks I have here in hill country...

Sounds like you need the Danner Pronghorn. My dad and I are going out west for mule deer and elk in a year and based on his research and talking to guides out west... most people are recommending these cuz they're light tough and made for long treks. However I've only used the uninsulated ones, just bought a pair of insulated to test out for this season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got a lot of life out of my Muck Wetlands. Last year I bought some Muck Woody Elite's for hunting and they served me well. I tried to stay disciplined and ONLY wear them to hunt in. When scouting, hanging sets, shed hunting, etc., I put on the old Wetlands. I still haven't found a "perfect" boot when it comes to cold. Seems like thin socks on the hike in and swapping socks on stand has been my best option for keeping feet warm but even so the sweat is still inside the boot after changing socks.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The reviews on the new Pronghorns are less than flattering. Lots of trouble with them not being waterproof and they added 9 ounces to them, which is a lot for a boot.

Huckleberry Finn

I have a pair of Carhartt and Rockey leather's and then a pair of Cabela's and Lacross rubber's. All have worked out well.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I wear LaCrosse Alpha Burly 1200's. on my 2nd pair in 6 years. My feet stay warm and as much time that I spend in the woods. I am pretty happy with them all in all.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LaCrosse Alpha Burlys 1200's for cold and LAB uninsulated for warm to mild...

I'm very hard on my boots as well Jesse! Can't seem to get a pair to last more than 2 years although my 1200 are like new still due to a lot less use because of the last few mild winters.