Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013-2014 Deer Season Goals

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Target a buck and go after and harvest him like I did last year but on a bigger scale lol....

Meet a few more new TOO members who I haven't had the pleasure too meet yet....

Spend as much time chasing rabbits as I do deer lol.....

But my biggest hope is y'all have a bountiful and very safe deer season this year.....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for bringing this up Phil, sad to say I haven't had time to really think about this yet. I will be posting up in a few days once I get a real chance to think about it.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
1) enjoy every hunt as it would be my last
2) put 2 does in the freezer
3) put another big buck on the wall
4) get my 11 year old daughter in the stand with me as much as possible
5) and last but not least have a safe season.

Good thread too start Phil

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Have fun
Take my 11 year old daughter
Meat in the freezer
Enjoy time with my hunting buddies
Hopefully score on a mature buck
Have as good a shed season as this one was! Lol

Of course be safe is #1 and having fun goes hand in hand with that one for me.

Hunt hard and often in Ohio this year.
Get both of my kids out hunting and hopefully down to Ohio here and there, including youth season.
Meat in the freezer
Shoot a dandy!!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Great thread.

1.) Safe season
2.) Thank god evefy hunt
3.) Help my son successfully harvest a deer. (he has been oh so close)
4.) Harvest a buck worthy of mounting. (Have yet to accomplish this)
5.) Help my buddy harvest a bear
6.) Have fun
7.) Take more photos from the field to capture the memories

Thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread and see how everyone is doing with their goals.
I have been successful at a few and still working on others.
I have accomplished helping my son harvest his first deer and helped my buddy get his first bear.
I thank god everyday for what he has given me.
So far it has been a safe year.
I am having a lot more fun enjoting my hunts and not stressing as much.
I still need to get better at taking pictures but I am taking more this year than ever.
Jon 391.jpgConnor Deer.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't see it as having goals, ( we have that at work & I just hate it ) but I suppose that's just the way it's viewed. ... Having a safe season would be top on the list. I wanted meat TOO can & that I've accomplished that with my doe harvest. I want to get a set of antlers which I haven't done in a long time & am still working on it. With that said, I'm being realistic & will work with what I have. In years past, I would do nothing else except focus on a particular buck when I know there's a biggun running around & nothing else gets accomplished. I'm lowering my expectations & am just going to enjoy the time I put into the season. To me, I guess the thrill is having a buck walk by & knowing I could take him, even when I don't. To me, that says my game plan worked. If it happens with a biggie, it happens.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like i have achieved some of my goals, yet failed at others. Need to work harder to get Garrett out and hunt my property more if I want to tag a doe there. Looks like I am failing when it comes to being less picky on the bucks. Up until recently, I was having fun. Guess it is time to take the stress off myself and start enjoying it again. That is what it is all about and lately I have forgotten to enjoy it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great thread. I agree with all the above.
1. Take my 1st buck with a bow.
2. Take a nice deer out of my new food plot from my new hunting tower.
3. Take my neighbor who gave me permission to hunt his property on his 1st deer hunt.
4. Get my wife to go with me on a hunt in my new tower at least once in her lifetime. It's only 200 yds. from the house. She said it's not going to happen. The DIL and granddaughter already said their going.
5. Figure my son's Playback video cam out to video my hunts this year.
6. Meet Phil FTF this weekend in Lima. LOL.

Well I did #1,2,6. Hopefully I still have a chance at the other three before season end. #4 not looking good.

Lundy

Work as hard as I can to try and get my DIL an opportunity at a decent buck during the gun season, preferably on Monday so I can start hunting after she is done:)

I was talking to my hunting partner yesterday that I kind of miss to old days of not using trail cams. When you would just look at a map of the area and scout it out, hunt and be surprised by what walks by and not nearly as picky about what you shoot. It was a different experience to not have 100's of pics and names for most of the bucks on the property. I used to gun hunt southern IN for many years. Show up Friday night for a Saturday opener, know real clue about where I was going to hunt, camp stool on a sling and a fanny pack loaded down with everything I would need and off I would go. It was great hunting and a bunch of nice bucks that I had never laid eyes on until they walked into range. I miss parts of that very much. Thinking about a out of state deer trip for next year to try and relive some of the hunting style I grew up with

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love it Lundy. Sounds like a nice way to get away and enjoy things. I am only covering 50% of properties I hunt with cameras. Even these are limited. I think it does help keep some excitement in it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, I have yet to get my kids interested, still have a chance at the muzzleloader kill, and the wall hanger is slipping away but there is still an outside chance.

the goal of becoming a better hunter is coming through, When you arent seeing any deer, you have to be smarter about things, and hunt harder, there is no choice.

Of course be safe is #1 and having fun goes hand in hand with that one for me.

Hunt hard and often in Ohio this year.
Get both of my kids out hunting and hopefully down to Ohio here and there, including youth season.
Meat in the freezer
Shoot a dandy!!

Hunted hard, just not often, in Ohio this year.
Both kids have been out hunting a little, my son Allen with his first deer and Jenna no shots yet. Will be down for Thanksgiving weekend to get them both out though.
Allen's deer and my buck in the freezer, would like a couple more and will look to Michigan for does if the kids don't get anything in Ohio.
Shot a nice 10 point...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems to be an annual thread favorite. Brings up many good ideas, some good reminders, and some new goals for many of us to implement in the future.

1) Have a safe season.

So far, so good
1) Thank the Lord for every hunt and ask for safety for myself and my friends/family in the deer woods.
Don't think I have forgotten to do this yet.
2) Enjoy myself. Whether I am seeing deer or not, it is a blessing to be able to slide away from the daily grind.
Have achieved this for the most part. Probably a couple times I started to put pressure on myself. Reminded myself to enjoy it and started to enjoy it again.
3) Put some meat in the freezer.
Mission accomplished. Two coolers full awaiting processing right now.
4) This year will be the second season for my son. I want to continue to encourage him and help fan the fire growing in his belly to hunt.
Have failed thus far. We have gotten out and shot the crossbow. He has spent some time in the blind with me. I think the fire is growing, but he is 9 for pete's sake. Soccer 3 nights a week and school make it tough to get him out there. Rest of the season is dedicated to him.
5) It is always a goal to continue to learn in the woods. Hard not to learn something in the woods unless you are sleeping.
hard not to learn if you are in the woods. I have learned a few things this year.
6) Would like to take a deer from my woods. It would be pretty cool to kill a deer on my personal property this year. Watching my son kill one there would be even better.
Only hunted it once. Neighbor on his three wheeler has not helped the deer movement.
7) Be less picky.
I failed at this one. I had a couple pretty cool opportunities at 115-120" deer this year. It would have been quite an awesome story to have killed the one buck who followed a doe in and did a complete circle around my stand. I let him walk. After the 14pt buck on Monday. . . .Glad I didn't achieve this goal. lmao

Hopefully you all are achieving your goals this year.