Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Breath odor....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The nose of a whitetail deer has up to 297 million olfactory receptors, dogs have 220 million with humans limiting out with just five million.

A dog can smell a fingerprint left 7 days earlier, detect items buried deep underground, detect levels of just a few parts per million. Deer have a better sense of smell than dogs.

Draw your own conclusions on cover scents:)

Yet they still lick their own ass and grizzly wintergreen from under the stand. Lol. Such crude beasts.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
90% of the posts were what flavor or brand of tobacco we use when hunting...rotflmao rotflmao

That made my day fellers!

I prefer straight dip or Levi myself. I guess I really haven't boogered many deer cuz I always hunt with the wind in my face or cheek but I was just wonderin if y'all had any issues with chew. I guess we're good!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ric, that same weekend I mentioned earlier, I asked Sean to hold my Swisher Sweet (cherry) so I could shoot a doe. He held that cigar, and a handycam at the same time. Jesse and Joe may have seen that video back in the day. hehe. Wind was blowing right to her, and I swear throughout the evening when deer would come into the plot I'd put out the cigar. When they were all gone, I'd re-light. I think the dang things were coming in out of curiosity cause more would show up every time I lit the dang thing!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I wouldn't suggest taking up smoking cigars as an attractant though! :). There was 5 of us hunting that weekend (opening weekend). Four of us killed a deer. Sean could have, but he shot 'em w skoal instead. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BtW, that was the first year we started SS. I told the story of that weekend on OS and it seemed like everyone figured me a liar. :). Sure is nice having more than 5 people using the thing these days!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I need to switch flavors. Skoal Wintergreen has left me without a buck the last 2yrs. Then again, it didn't leave me without filling 7 tags.

buckstar25

T-county
Been in 2 different pens one with a buck called Dynamite and the other was the guys pet he called Bucky. Both times the deer literally chased me, when I stopped the buck the guy called Bucky liked to "give hugs" when he put his front legs on my shoulders he immediately started rooting in my coat pocket for my can of Cope. Forget your breath, just hunt!

Huckleberry Finn

Ric, that same weekend I mentioned earlier, I asked Sean to hold my Swisher Sweet (cherry) so I could shoot a doe. He held that cigar, and a handycam at the same time. Jesse and Joe may have seen that video back in the day. hehe. Wind was blowing right to her, and I swear throughout the evening when deer would come into the plot I'd put out the cigar. When they were all gone, I'd re-light. I think the dang things were coming in out of curiosity cause more would show up every time I lit the dang thing!

Absolutely agree with the curiosity...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
HA. Yep. Heard from a buddy's cousin's sister's boyfriend's third cousin's friend that a guy here in town had most of his crop mowed down by deer. Even has trail cam pics of them in there...

Yep I've heard from folks that they are having to cage them and everything to try keep the deer off their plants up here, majority of the time unsuccessfully.