Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Hunt for Captain Jack

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I doubt you moved him far, Jesse! It isn't like you are hunting a feeding pattern. He's probably ran into a dozen people already this season. If what he's after wanders by, he will too. Hang with it. If you really want to kill him, today is as good as any other! They cover a lot of ground this time of year. It isn't in a straight line, just where ever they take a notion to go. If you're on a trail he's used, chances are he'll use it again today. Keep the faith!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas. I'm back out here, but not overly optimistic. It's windy again which kills my hearing. I could easily get caught off guard here...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I endured two hours of torrential down pours and 20MPH winds yesterday to hang two sets on Hippie Ridge where I hope to intercept Jack this weekend or the 4-5 stretch I hunt over Thanksgiving. The first is on the E end of the main ridge near the spot where my buddy encountered him last year. There is a small hogsback that funnels deer out of the bowl to the S and brings them up to the main trail heading to my sanctuary. I'm almost positive this is how he gets to the bottom when he doesn't drop down in to our main N/S running holler.

The second set is on the W end of the main ridge about 600 yards from the first stand. There is a little cove just above the main ridge line where 2 flats come together, with a third just below that where a community scrape is usually present. This is the same scrape from the daylight video from last season. There are 3 distinct trails coming together at this pinch point. The only draw back is access sucks and I will no doubt blow deer out going in. However I'll be there Saturday if we have a southerly wind and I'll just go in early. I really feel it is a great stand for Jack, or any other big buck on the prowl. There's a lot more to it that is hard to describe, but a lot of things come together at this one spot. I may not be in the right tree, but I'm in the area.

The last camera check only revealed him on the main creek bottom inventory camera. I have 75 pictures from basically 3 nights, but he made return trips 11/1 in to 11/2 and 11/7-11/9. His visit 11/12 was the only one that time. I saw him at 9:30 on 11/9 on the shelf just above where he was at 6:10AM and E of there 150 yards. (Still haven't changed the time on this cam.) The information from this cam just tells me how he approached (sometimes) and how he left (sometimes). And that he is still alive! I set up 2 cams to the E/W of here to get me started as I gradually use cams to back track his steps as he becomes more dependent on this corn.

This angle shows the G2's split this year...

This picture is typical Jack. Shrouded in mystery...

You can see the G4/kicker on his left MB here, as well as the weak G3 on his right side...

And this angle gives you a look at those long beams and all that real estate in between!

Here is my guess on score. I'd welcome other guesses...

Left Side: G1 = 2.5" G2 = 11" w/ 1" split G3 = 1.5" MB = 26.5" for a total of 42.5".
Right Side: G1 = 2" G2 = 10" with 1" split G3 = 8.5" G4 = 2" MB = 26.5" for a total of 50"
Spread: 19.5"
Mass: 33"

Total Gross Score: 145" as a 4.5 year old.

I plan to put some serious effort in to killing just him in the next 4-5-6 days of hunting I have before gun season, then I have a decision to make. Do I try and kill him with a gun or let him be and keep my fingers crossed. There is a big part of me that wants to see this deer get to 5.5 as I wasn't very prepared to battle him this year. I know his core area and I can get myself in much better position to kill him next year. Time will tell what happens...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
You said to guess on score. I don't see 145. I think he would be lucky to hit 140. I just don't think he has the overall tine length and mass to go over 140. Just my two cents, and I very well could be wrong. Hope I am. Still definitely a great deer. Good luck!

twireman

Kingston, OH
He is a very nice buck with a lot of history. If i seen him while hunting I would guess him as a mid 130's. I hope you get him and the guess will be over!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll have to post up my numbers tomorrow because I could very well be off. I felt I was pretty conservative. Course this is the same deer we all thought was 130-135 as a 2 year old when he was barely 125. He's sneaky like that!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Also, he's got 11 scorable. Just hard to tell in pics. Brows, 2's with 1" splits, 3's, and a 4/kicker on the one side.

Pretty sure I gave him 2 and 2.5 for brows, 10 and 11 on 2's with 2" worth of kickers, 1.5 for one 3, 8 on the other, and 2" for the G4/kicker. Based on last years buck, 26.5 on both MBs. 19.5 wide being optimistic and 33" of mass. The mass is where I'm probably off. Mass is always hard from pics for me.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hope I'm wrong to Jesse but I see him grossing around 130" tops buddy. A deers ear is typically 8-8.5 inches long on most deer so I try to get some ballpark figures on tine length from that. Also my hand if I were to wrap it around the base of each tine then stack my other hand snug on top gives me approximately 4" per each grip if you will.

Mass and MB length are by far the hardest for me anyway to estimate off pictures. Also it needs to be considered that he's an 8 point so mass measurements will suffer unless he's thick past his g3.

Conservatively scoring him I have him between 127-130 as I have his beams at 23" apiece and his mass closer to 30" or 15" per side. Remember this is just my opinion and I could and have been wrong before. That being said, he's still a shooter in my book based on 1) age, 2) your history )3 his body size and 4) his allusiveness.

If your able to put him on the ground I'd be one of several on this site to tackle your ass and slap you on the back and be pounding some Busch Heavies with ya (on me of course) if it happens. Just wait till after Thanksgiving so I can actually do it while I'm down your way through deer gun! Lol

Good luck buddy, he's very worthy of your arrow!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I hope you can put that deer down soon Jesse, then you can lay a tape in him and tell us all what he scores! Great story behind this deer, and well worth killing!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wow. I guess we need to kill him to find out. He was 125 as a 2.5, so I have a little trouble with the idea he basically hasn't grown. I used measurements off last years buck, but I must be way off elsewhere. Charles is probably closest IMO at this point.

I could actually care less as I'm not shooting him for score. If I was after score, I'd be hunting elsewhere. I've never had this kind of history with a deer, so it would be nice to have it finally mean something!

FWIW, the longest beam on last years buck was 23.5. Jacks are definitely longer as he's wider and they have more curl. That's where I got 26.5 and I'd agree, 33" is heavy on mass.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I hate to say this but I agree with Ric. I found a pretty good shed just yesterday off of a an 8 point I have posted some pics of this year. His shed scored 63.4 so he would be around 145. He looks considerably bigger than CJ.You have history with this buck so score doesn't even matter in my book...