Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackbeard's 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
About ready to get back out, my back is slowly feeling somewhat better, I usually have 25 hunts in by now and this year I've got 4, pretty pathetic.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
10/23/13- PM. Decided to hunt due to the temps dropping and the rain ending, chose a stand close to the house since I'd have to make a late entry right after work. Should have stayed home. Everything went wrong this evening. Bumped 4 does and another unknown deer getting to stand, sat there all evening and never saw a thing, then at 7:10 or so here came three deer walking straight at me, the third locked up like it smelled or saw something, I have no idea what was up, it was upwind. Then had another big sounding deer get downwind of me a few minutes later and do the old stomping and blowing routine, not good. Wind was generally out of the NW but would switch to SW and W on occasion so was unpredictable at times.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Chuck, I'm officially a smoker, smoked up all my clothes and gear for the first time tonight, did it the old fashioned way, over a fire in the yard. Heck, I should have started before now considering me and the boys have a fire in our pit about every other night this time of year. May purchase a smoker too, but I'm pretty sure tonight's smoke did the trick!