Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackbeard's 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Was looking through the list I keep on deer kills and this buck was also my 30th bow kill so that was kinda cool as well. 12th buck with a bow. Man I'm getting old.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
12/02/13- AM. Hunted in a ladderstand in the middle of my overgrown field. Lots of shooting all around starting at 7:15. Only one shot close, probably 200 yards away. Jumped a deer going in at daylight, at 7:45 a spike walked past me at 25 yds and worked a scrape in front of me, at 8:15 two does were browsing in the field about 60 yards away, and at 9:30 a decent but small 8pt walked in from behind me and ate sumac berries on his back feet at 25 yds.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
12/04/13- AM (gun hunting). Jumped a deer right at daylight bedded in some big pines where I was going to sit overlooking a corner of a pasture field. Went up where I figured it was bedding and found a fresh bed and lots of poop. Looks like a buck has been bedding there often. Sat in the pines for about an hour then got up to take a walk up a dirt covered road through the property. Walked about 150 yards and looked up the road and saw antlers. Crouched down and snuck to within a 100 yds and it was a decent 8pt eating honeysuckle/briar leaves and possibly tending a doe. Watched him for awhile before he and the doe got spooked by something else and walked away quickly away. There was another deer with them that I never got a good look at. If I had a buck tag I had a decent 100 yd shot at him before he started walking fast. Pretty exciting morning.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Muzzy season tomorrow, gonna be a fun time hunting with the family. Our typical day will be like this: stand hunt until 10:00, make some small drives before and after lunch, get back on stand from 3:00 until dark. I have a feeling there is gonna be some blood on the ground this next 4 days!

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
01/04/14- AM. Hunted in some big woods, cold as hell (7 degrees), only stayed for about hour and half, never saw anything. I did hear a gobbler and hens about 100 yards away. The hens were yelping and carrying on and the gobbler actually gobbled five times, one was a double gobble. Pretty cool.

PM- Did some four man driving with my brother, cousin, and friend and saw several deer, cousin shot a little doe.

PM- Hunted in some pines overlooking a grassy/weedy overgrown field in a hollow. Warmer evening and very quiet with a S/SW wind. Four does came out of the pines on the other side of the hollow at 5:00. They fed there way toward me and I shot the biggest doe at 40 yards at 5:15. They all ran off with their tails up so I thought it was a clean miss until I starting walking the path she ran off on and found some specs of blood in the snow. I blood trailed her for 150 yards before finding her. She ran up a creek bottom and crossed the creek back and forth three times, no way I would have found her without the snow. Hit her farther back than I wanted. It was a long, cold drag out in the moonlight but some help arrived so not bad. My season is over.