Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help! Need Deer Blood To Train Recovery Dog

GregJennings

Hi Guys,

I have a need to train my GSP to blood trail wounded deer to recover them. To do so, I need deer blood.

If anyone you know has a nuisance ticket they are going to use and would be willing to help, I'd really, really appreciate putting us together.

I just need 2 or 3 film canister size vials.

Best regards,

Greg J.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hi Guys,

I have a need to train my GSP to blood trail wounded deer to recover them. To do so, I need deer blood.

If anyone you know has a nuisance ticket they are going to use and would be willing to help, I'd really, really appreciate putting us together.

I just need 2 or 3 film canister size vials.

Best regards,

Greg J.

Where are you located? I might be able to help. I believe I have some left in my shop freezer. I use Hank, my GSP, for the same thing. Biggest issue I had when starting was keeping his nose to the ground rather than throwing his head up and winding it. A chunk of liver on the ground as a treat here and there can help with this issue.

GregJennings

I'm in Springboro, OH just south of Dayton. If you're open to help, I'd be happy to drive to you.

My email is gregs_shell_account (at) yahoo (dot) com. Just shoot me an email and let's talk. I'm a little tied up mornings this weekend, but will otherwise fit your schedule.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
If the others are farther than the Toledo area, I have a whole buck neck roast I can let go.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in Springboro, OH just south of Dayton. If you're open to help, I'd be happy to drive to you.

My email is gregs_shell_account (at) yahoo (dot) com. Just shoot me an email and let's talk. I'm a little tied up mornings this weekend, but will otherwise fit your schedule.

I am one hour from the i75-i70 interchange. I am swamped all weekend as well. Taking camper to the lake for my family. Coming back and working all thru the weekend. I will check in my shop freezer sometime over the course of the weekend to let you know if I have any.

On another note, I was told you can train with goat blood as well but have never tried it. I think the hardest part is not the smelling of the blood but teaching the dog to tie in the scent gland in the hoof of that specific deer to the blood. Sometimes you just don't have the blood to follow. In times such as these it is critical for the dog to be able to follow the specific deer you are looking for rather than just chasing deer scent.

GregJennings

thanks Quantum673 and Hickslawns, I really appreciate the help. Just shoot me an email. I'm right on top of it.

I actually have two dogs that I'd like to try to train. The younger is the GSP. He's 3. He will head south to run in field trials before long. I'm pretty confident that he'll pick it up easily. He's smart as a whip, has an excellent nose and a lot of prey drive. The other is my old Vizsla. He's as smart as they come...often too smart...,but is getting old. He might take to it and might not. It'd be great if he did. It'd give us something to enrich his life.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Greg, I live in Sboro and got steaks in the freezer if you need 'em. Pickup would have to be tomorrow, I'm on vacation starting Sunday.

Or.....drive over to CC and find a fresh roadkill. Just sayin. :smiley_coolpeace:

Feel free to PM me

GregJennings

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the help. If anyone needs rifle reloading help or help improving your wingshooting, I have some small expertise in those areas. I would be happy to do a little "pay it forward".