Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Legal Coyote Trap?

I know a gentleman that has good success trapping coyotes. When I asked how he trapped them, he stated that he used 2" treble hooks, similar to the ones used for turtle traps in trot lines. He's had his best success using deer liver. He hangs this set up about 5' off the ground, on a cable. When he checks his sets, the coyotes are always dead and he's never caught anything but coyotes.

I've read the ODNR regulations and can not find anything that says this can or can not be used.

Is this a "legal" trapping method for coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This could never be legal. Even if it was, it would be morally wrong. I hate Coyotes probably worse than most and would never want to see this done.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've heard of it being done and IMO, a dead coyote is the best kind, so I'm all for killing them any way necessary. However I can't imagine this is legal...

My best guess is that this method is not considered "ethical", but I can not find anything in the ORC about it being illegal. Our county fair is going on, so perhaps I can run into the GW there and ask him personally. If I don't get a chance to see him there, the Max's Water Dog Races & Flea Market is next weekend and I'm sure the ODNR will have someone there that I can ask.

When I get an "official" answer, I'll post my findings. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

Reactions: Geezer II

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I've heard it done. But IMO I would never do it I hunt too many hounds and I could see a mans young pup beagle or coonhound or coyote hound ending up on that hook scares the chit out of me. We had a coyote hound caught in a snare last year and bout lost her. Don't get me wrong I run a snare line and I hate coyotes but a treble hook is a little extreme. Should've asked the man why he couldn't catch them with a leg hold jmo, its like azzholes everybody has one.

Reactions: Geezer II

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My best guess is that this method is not considered "ethical", but I can not find anything in the ORC about it being illegal. Our county fair is going on, so perhaps I can run into the GW there and ask him personally. If I don't get a chance to see him there, the Max's Water Dog Races & Flea Market is next weekend and I'm sure the ODNR will have someone there that I can ask.

When I get an "official" answer, I'll post my findings. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

Lot's of luck getting a answer from ODNR. They always have to refer questions to legal then the answer is a easy NO.
See you in Lima. Leaving now to setup.

I did not see any ODNR personnel at the Water Dog Races, but I did get a chance to talk with a man that is a member of the Ohio State Trappers Association. He said that where this type of trap set would fail to comply with the regulations is having a flesh bait and it not being covered.

Page 29 of the 2013-2014 Regulations states: * "All flesh baits must be totally covered."

Thank you, to all that have replied! :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've heard of using burlap bags full of meat tied off the ground 5-6' as well. They sink their teeth in and can't free their mouth of the burlap. So this would be legal then?