Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting my girls ready for their first hunt

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be interested to hear how the recoil is on that youth model.

You thinking about getting one? You got to be 260-275lbs or so. You should be alright with an adult model. You're a farmboy. :smiley_crocodile:

Seriously though, I will be curious to see how the recoil is as well. Might be the next step for my kids.

Huckleberry Finn

You thinking about getting one? You got to be 260-275lbs or so. You should be alright with an adult model. You're a farmboy. :smiley_crocodile:

Seriously though, I will be curious to see how the recoil is as well. Might be the next step for my kids.

I'm slimming down, you skinny rail!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We'll be finding out this weekend Steve and Phil. Just haven't had the time with school,volleyball,work and homework but Saturday we'll be sighting her in. I will definitely let you know. Might take a few short videos for ya.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang it was humid today and being down with bronchitis didn't help but I got Karissa out this afternoon to do some shootin' with the new shotgun I bought them. Shelby went to KI today so I'll get her behind the gun at another time. My neighbor also was along for the ride and he provided us a great setup to get it done.

We first sighted it in at 75 yards then had her shoot a couple rounds at 50 yards. Bob had a shooting table with a lead sled that was a huge help. Here are a few videos.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...55DF8ABB-628-000001411C4786CA_zps74bc91e9.mp4
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...EC34D294-628-000001414A175A61_zps240b4318.mp4

Few pics:

Her final group is just high of the bull:

Bob and I each shot at the top to bulls and the other strays were before we got it zeroed.

Over all, I was very pleased with her reaction to the recoil and her desire to keep shooting. If I had 50 more rounds, I think she'd kept on shooting but at a little over $2 a shot that ain't happening.

I let her load all her own shells and went over all the safety aspects of shooting and handling. At the end of the lesson I was one proud dad!:smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

My buddy uses a youth model mossberg 500 youth model and he's my height.... Just has shorter arms is all.... Youth model fits him too a T....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Even though we got a decent grouping with this set up I still had reservations on the scope mounting rings. They were Weaver and just didn't like the system. Screwdriver driven cheap flat head screws just wouldn't hold up to the constant recoil IMO so I went to BP and got a set of Warne rings. I also got a few boxes of Rem. Accutip slugs to run through this barrel to see how they perform. Next cool day when we can resight this gun in I'll take pictures and give y'all a review.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just got caught up on this thread, Ric. Looks to me like all is well on the gun range. Glad you got new rings, those slugs pound the best of 'em for all they are worth!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Brock, yeah these Warne rings are a lot better than the Weavers! Hex headed screws all around and far more solid! Hope these accu tips shoot great! Bought 5 boxes of them but sent in my $30 rebate for the gun and $20 for 4 of the 5 boxes of slugs yesterday to help defray some of my cost.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!
I just got all of our Licenses purchased online, I already had my hunting license from this past springs turkey season though. I bought myself 2 either or deer tags and the apprentice youth hunting license for both girls and one either or deer tag for each girl. I made 3 copies of mine and two for each girl and prolly will copy a few more just in case we lose them. lol
It's a great feeling to get this out of the way! I debated staring at the PC a few minutes on buying a fall turkey tag and chose not to buy one. I saw this coming:smiley_computerfigh and I came to my senses!lol
I'm still tasting the 4 spring tags I've eaten the past two years! yuck:smiley_bagonhead:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Having to purchase a fall tag when you still have a spring tag in your pocket leaves a bad taste in my mouth too, Ric. I wasn't even able to hunt except for a morning or two this spring before hurting myself and putting me out of commission for the spring...dang. I don't know if I will purchase a fall tag or not...but likely will against my better judgment.