Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Game EZ-ON Basic Harness?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Big Game makes some good products, so I won't bash on them. It's just that I'm skeptical about gear from the Sportsman's Guide anymore. I've saved a lot of money by buying stuff from there over the years, but ultimately that stuff didn't last as long or wear as well as gear I've paid a little bit more for. In the end you'll get what you pay for. A safety harness isn't one of those things I would feel comfortable wearing from the Sportsman's Guide. That reminds me, I should buy a new harness this season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know nothing about it. I will say though, if it is a legit harness it will be TMA certified. They should not be able to sell them (as tree stand/hunting harnesses) unless they are TMA certified. If they are TMA certified then they have passed rigorous standards testing. Doesn't mean they will be quiet, comfortable, light, or anything else. Just means they passed the tests to keep you safe if worn properly. That is my 2cents based on my tree stand experience. We don't offer harnesses, but they are included in every tree stand. Generally two in double stands.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
I'm an avid Sportsmans Guide customer, you just gotta be careful what you order, their army surplus wool clothing is top notch. I'd love to have another HSS vest but they've priced me out of their products, loved the first vest I ever bought off them even though the buckle straps were noisy and the vest weighed a ton. I went ahead and ordered the BG harness, I'll let you know what the verdict is in 7 days.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I bought one for my boys. Ill test it out on them. ;)
Saw the deal and figured it was worth giving it a whirl.

All kidding aside, I haven't even gotten it out if the box yet. When I do and have them try it on I'll post an update. I got the smaller adult size for them since they're growing like weeds.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I bought one at dicks for $40 but I have yet to test it out, I tried it on and it feels pretty comfortable though. I have one more stand to hang this week so I'll use it then.

I have the Big Game EZ-on basic harness..As far as the harness an what comes with it I wont complain to much considering the price..I was hunting ladderstands an using climber..I added a HSS rope tether because I liked it better for use with a climber.The leg buckles would bang on each other if I walked in the harness,while wearing it in a normal fashion..I would wear the buckles outside your thighs while walking...I also added a muddy lineman's rope which either didnt work to well together, or I just dont know what the fugg I am doing with hang-ons an setting steps an such?The lineman's attachment loops are placed farther back than other harnesses I have looked at.Maybe this was a factor or I just dont know wtf I am doing?...By the time i bought all that(over the course or a year-ish,I could have bought a muddy or similarly price 100$ rig...I guess the harness itself aint bad,considering the cost..

If I did it over again I would buy a Muddy and add a HSS rope style tether(which may be in my future)...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure what your budget is Kurtis, but a bunch of us have Muddy's and love them. It is a great harness for the money. Lightweight, comfortable, and the linemans belt is one of my favorites. $79.99 from Bass Pro with free shipping...

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Got the new harness in the mail, and for the money it's nice. I don't care for the line mans strap but all in all a good buy. I'm impressed by its light weight, quietness, and comfort. Now what do i do with an out of date HSS mesh vest harness? It was the first they introduced them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Got the new harness in the mail, and for the money it's nice. I don't care for the line mans strap but all in all a good buy. I'm impressed by its light weight, quietness, and comfort. Now what do i do with an out of date HSS mesh vest harness? It was the first they introduced them.

You got the Big Game harness?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad to hear the good stuff about the BG Harness. I still haven't opened mine up. But, I'm glad it seems good so far.

Mine is just going to be used on whichever boy is up in a ladder stand at the time, so it should be fine. No climbers or hang ons for them quite yet.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Used the Big Game EZON today while hanging 2 stands. very nice. It's light, comfortable, and easy to use. I did use my old rope style line mans belt from HSS and their carabiners because I don't like the strap line mans belt that came with the EZON.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Used the Big Game EZON today while hanging 2 stands. very nice. It's light, comfortable, and easy to use. I did use my old rope style line mans belt from HSS and their carabiners because I don't like the strap line mans belt that came with the EZON.

ya I didn't trust that buckle so I tied a knot before it and kept a good eye on it the whole time. I will need to invest in a better linemans belt. I used my buddies leather linemans belt he uses for work when I hung my first stand, that thing is nice, maybe he'll sell it to me if he gets a new one sometime