Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2013 Cam Photos

Moved a camera the other day to check somthing out. Just what I assumed was happening is. Seems some of the deer that are using the fence crossing are passing right behind my stand. I can read the mind of these deer as they pass by. "He can only shoot out of the front of that thing, we are safe back here".
HUNT0283.jpg HUNT0291.jpg

A couple cruisers in the creek bottom including the smaller version of Splitter that I now call Junior.
SUNP0961.jpg SUNP0976.jpg

Smart little buggers!! Them doing that does it put them where they can wind you in the stand as they approach? I'd say time for the hole in the back as well. May need to re-think things for next season if the seem to take that route more.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's good you checked that out Dick. Maybe move your OH blind next season or like Chad said, cut in a back door shot hole.

The chess game continues, haha. Funny thing is I moved the stand to where it is early this summer. It used to be about 60 yards behind where it is now. The deer crossing behind the present location would be out of range from the previous location anyways. The deer didn't cross the fence last year where they are crossing now. I'm not going to cut a hole in the back door. Instead I will be building another stand this spring or winter to hunt the area near the fence crossing next season. Doing so will give me another option and will allow me to hunt a south/southwest wind which I shouldn't, but sometimes do, in the OH stand. Another plus is that hunting the fence crossing is so easy to approach without disturbing much. I truely believe that many of the deer that cross the property in a north/south direction cross the fence to make a shortcut to the creek bottom. From what I've witnessed this year the fence crossing area may be the key place to be on my property. I'm going to monitor this crossing with a camera most of the time the next 10 months to see how much use it gets over a long period of time.

I'd love to get a crack at one of my three target bucks this season. But, to be honest, I don't see it happening. I know it is always possible, but at this point I feel highly unlikely. If I had known of the new fence crossing earlier this summer (and I should have) things would have been much more in my favor. I may hunt a little in gun season, but I don't plan to hunt much in the late season.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'd love to get a crack at one of my three target bucks this season. But, to be honest, I don't see it happening. I know it is always possible, but at this point I feel highly unlikely. If I had known of the new fence crossing earlier this summer (and I should have) things would have been much more in my favor. I may hunt a little in gun season, but I don't plan to hunt much in the late season.

A lot of us are echoing that sentiment. Good luck, hope something good happens for you.