Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Article on muzzleloader hunting

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I forgot about that. also hunters failed to adapt to the changing food sources. Oh. And the numbers are down because we're hold out for big bucks. All the while deer vehicle accidents are down 30+ percent. Which must mean drivers are holding off hitting deer in hopes of hitting bigger bucks too.

I didn't realize car-deer accidents were down 30%. Only 2 reasons for this is less drivers on the road or there are less deer. What does the ODNR give as a reason? I'm sure we figured it out.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I didn't realize car-deer accidents were down 30%. Only 2 reasons for this is less drivers on the road or there are less deer. What does the ODNR give as a reason? I'm sure we figured it out.

Already ran the analysis of this. Drivers and driver miles are up over the same timeframe

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Actually. At the time we we're looking at the numbers Licensed drivers in the state of ohio had increased by something like 7%.

They don't have an explanation even though it's blatantly obvious to anyone looking at it. We have less deer. On one hand for years they say there are 750K deer, and on the other they have DVA's going down dramatically and dropping harvest numbers. Between never being able to get a straight answer on a formula on how they came to that number, and us being able to show through DVA's that it's highly impractical the population stayed the same. It's one of the reasons that as of last year you'll never see the DNR publicly release a population estimate again. And Mr Tonk now says he never agreed with how they were counting them, despite being the gentleman who came up with the math in the late 90"s that took us from an estimated 450K, to 575K the next year, and 750K a year or so later where it stayed for a decade.

Lundy

Jackalope

I think we actually agree on this one.

I was not and am not singing the praises of the ODNR and the changes they made with seasons and bag limits, as some were. I have said from day one that I think it is all smoke and mirrors

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope

I think we actually agree on this one.

I was not and am not singing the praises of the ODNR and the changes they made with seasons and bag limits, as some were. I have said from day one that I think it is all smoke and mirrors

We agree? We agree? Hell I had to call my mom to see if the Mississippi started running backwards. Lol.

ELEVENPOINTER

Lol jackalpe I like your last comment I find it too funny aren't we all after the big buck. I also hunt with a muzzle loader in fact that's all I use besides my crossbow. I'm the silly lady in gun season with a muzzle loader. It has taught me patience to wait for a good shot instead of just throwing lead with hope that you might get lucky and hit something. I will probably step on some toes but what's the sense of throwing lead injuring the deer never finding it and waste the meat that's never made sense too me just saying.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And for those that said I was crazy that the deer were disappearing in Vinton county.

2002 = 229
2012 = 48

That's an 80% decrease in DVAs while the driving population has increased about +8% over the same period.

Maybe it's a bad mast crop, or lack of hunters adjusting to changing food, or weather.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
And for those that said I was crazy that the deer were disappearing in Vinton county.

2002 = 229
2012 = 48

That's an 80% decrease in DVAs while the driving population has increased about +8% over the same period.

Maybe it's a bad mast crop, or lack of hunters adjusting to changing food, or weather.

Wow this chart sure does explain what you guys have been saying about less deer in your area.
We haven't seen that major drop in our area. It's hard to understand your plight when we are seeing almost the same deer numbers and even more in some areas.
I feel for you. I'm sure the ODNR thinks the deer and drivers are getting smarter because of the less DVA's.