Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Article on muzzleloader hunting

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks as that was a great read. I will probably step on some toes here by saying that ML hunting has been hurt in several states by hunters that wants to keep ML hunting in a more strict traditional way.
The younger hunter wants straight line rifles, scopes, sabots and smokeless powders. We all must face it everyone is getting older and there really isn't that many new young hunters coming on board.
I've always said let everyone do their thing to increase the numbers in the sport.

Just look at how the bowhunters years ago fought to ban compound bows, mechanical releases.
The same thing is going on in ML hunting. If someone doesn't like it or use just ban it for everyone.

I'm done.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gee Sam I didn't mean to kill this topic with my comment.
Come on guys jump in as you aren't going to hurt my feelings by disagreeing.

Lundy

Some of what he says has a ring of truth to it, no doubt.

However Toby is Toby's biggest fan and was he himself detrimental to the sport of muzzle loader hunting for a few years here not very long ago.

My opinion

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I read it. I took away that he is getting grumpy with years. Muzzleloading is something I think most do as an "also". Bowhunting is how many identify themselves, even though they may hunt with all legal weapons. There is just a difference somewhere.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I read it. I took away that he is getting grumpy with years. Muzzleloading is something I think most do as an "also". Bowhunting is how many identify themselves, even though they may hunt with all legal weapons. There is just a difference somewhere.

Which came first: the bow hunter or the bow season? If Ohio had a 4 day archery season in January instead of 5 months how many bow hunters would there be? I'm willing to bet the only reason 80-90% of bow hunters use a bow is because of the way the season is set so favorable to the use of a bow.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Which came first: the bow hunter or the bow season? If Ohio had a 4 day archery season in January instead of 5 months how many bow hunters would there be? I'm willing to bet the only reason 80-90% of bow hunters use a bow is because of the way the season is set so favorable to the use of a bow.

Good point Sam.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

That's probably the difference. Bowhunters can sink a lot of time into the pursuit. I suppose if Muzzy season was 4 months long, archery season wouldn't be so popular. Muzzy season was a lot less popular when we weren't so sure they would go off when the trigger was pulled, as archery season had fewer participants when an archer had to really work at it to maintain a level of accuracy.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great points guys. Me I have always hunted with a pistol, ML, rifle, and now with a bow. When I did crop permits years ago I was allowed to use a bomb but was advised not to. LOL
I just love to deer hunt. I hunted 250 hrs. in 2012 and only took a doe but I did pass on 7 small bucks and 10 does. Plan on more hunting hours this year.
The family says I'm deer hunting crazy but hell I already knew that.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
TB isn't my favorite writer but I do think he has a point that muzzleloader hunting lacks organization. Muzzleloader hunters seem to be along for the ride in many places like Ohio. This new October ML season is a case in point, I don't believe there was any hunter group pushing for it, especially no ML group. in fact some hunter groups were actively opposing it. I don't believe there was any ML group involved in move the ML season from Jan to Dec and back again.

Bow hunters are much better organized.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
TB isn't my favorite writer but I do think he has a point that muzzleloader hunting lacks organization. Muzzleloader hunters seem to be along for the ride in many places like Ohio. This new October ML season is a case in point, I don't believe there was any hunter group pushing for it, especially no ML group. in fact some hunter groups were actively opposing it. I don't believe there was any ML group involved in move the ML season from Jan to Dec and back again.

Bow hunters are much better organized.

That was the wet dream of farm bureau. They were also the ones who put up such a fight about the bonus gun going away. By fight I mean using their political pawns in their pocket.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Like I said we are just along for the ride.

Yep. But it was nice to see the wildlife council stick to get guns in the face of pretty big political pressure. Even if it was by one vote. But really, two of the votes are bought and paid for. Those two are also on the board of FB.

Lundy

The ODNR sold the farm bureau on the stated concept that the early MZ season replacing the 2 day bonus gun season would increase the overall harvest and the harvest would be limited to the baby makers thus further reducing the overall population.

This increased harvest was clearly stated as a motivation and a goal of the replacing one season with the another. I think it remains to be seen if they accomplish their stated goal with this new season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The ODNR sold the farm bureau on the stated concept that the early MZ season replacing the 2 day bonus gun season would increase the overall harvest and the harvest would be limited to the baby makers thus further reducing the overall population.

This increased harvest was clearly stated as a motivation and a goal of the replacing one season with the another. I think it remains to be seen if they accomplish their stated goal with this new season.

And as I've told you. Don't believe half of what you hear, especially from the ODNR. If you listen to their press releases you'd believe we have 750,000 deer. They didn't want us hunting Turks after noon because we might disturb them on the nest. If thats true then a couple years ago they must have quit nesting after noon the last two weeks. Lol. And EHD was locally isolated to very small pockets Lol. And my favorite harvest was down because we had a great mast season, or was it a poor mast season. That's right. They used both excuses on separate years to try and explain lower harvest totals.

And the ODNR didn't sell the FB on the idea of replacing bonus gun for early muzz. FB has pushed for the addition of an early muzz season for years now. The DOW finally gave it to them but removed bonus gun. FB got mad and rallied their politicians in the state legislature to put heat on the wildlife council to add it back. FB also didn't want it limited to antlerless only.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And as I've told you. Don't believe half of what you hear, especially from the ODNR. If you listen to their press releases you'd believe we have 750,000 deer. They didn't want us hunting Turks after noon because we might disturb them on the nest. If thats true then a couple years ago they must have quit nesting after noon the last two weeks. Lol. And EHD was locally isolated to very small pockets Lol. And my favorite harvest was down because we had a great mast season, or was it a poor mast season. That's right. They used both excuses on separate years to try and explain lower harvest totals.

If all that doesn't tell you the DNR is just pulled our chains, nothing will...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
. And my favorite harvest was down because we had a great mast season, or was it a poor mast season. That's right. They used both excuses on separate years to try and explain lower harvest totals.

I think that the kill was down because hunters were stupid and lazy could be a contender for the best excuse.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

Exactly. I had NO interest in bowhunting, started gun hunting- then saw the opportunity to hunt more so started bowhunting.
With only limited opportunities to hunt muzzy, it will only command limited amounts of my attention. I love it, wish I could do it more, but that would upset the harvest balance in the direction we don't wanna see it go.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think that the kill was down because hunters were stupid and lazy could be a contender for the best excuse.

I forgot about that. also hunters failed to adapt to the changing food sources. Oh. And the numbers are down because we're hold out for big bucks. All the while deer vehicle accidents are down 30+ percent. Which must mean drivers are holding off hitting deer in hopes of hitting bigger bucks too.