Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advantages of Traditional Hunting

Milo

Tatonka guide.
this_thread_rocks.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I don't know man. I think he might be covering up some weaknesses in his abilities with that modern cold steel spear. I mean it's mostly steel construction with welded joints and perfectly balanced butt spike. He must not be capable of learning to throw a real spear. I mean their website even says it's the "300 Winchester Magnum of the spear world".. Pffft.. lmao

Hunter II

It's a lot more fun to shoot at squirrels with my recurve than it is my compound. I use Ace hex heads and not having pass throughs keeps the feathers clean.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I don't know man. I think he might be covering up some weaknesses in his abilities with that modern cold steel spear. I mean it's mostly steel construction with welded joints and perfectly balanced butt spike. He must not be capable of learning to throw a real spear. I mean their website even says it's the "300 Winchester Magnum of the spear world".. Pffft.. lmao

No kidding!!!!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
In all honesty. I LOVE my recurve and I have loads of fun shooting it. In fact, if I am able to fill my buck tag with my compound. I will prolly do some hunting with my recurve. I love shooting both of them and I always will. I will say, that my confidence level is much better with my Compound.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
There is only on true advantage to trad gear:

Weight

Everything else favors the compound:

- Being able to draw and hold (the drawing motion makes deer aware in close quarters
- Speed
- More precise
- More energy
- Easier to be proficient
- ETC

Trad gear is just cool though. Something about shooting a stick bow that is different. You get that same feeling like hitting the perfect golf shot...you can feel it. Some of the advantages people place on trad gear can be done practically the same with a compound. My Uncle shoots a compound with a finger tab/glove, no sights, snap shoots and holds it with a cant.

I like both but I do my killing with a compound for now.

Jamie

Ohio
Beentown, modern compound bows are engineering marvels to say the least. if supreme accuracy at longer distance, faster arrows, flatter trajectories and the ability to draw and hold your bow at the ready before the target can see you are what is most important, then only an idiot would use a simple bow and arrow. the most important reason to pursue classical archery is not for the advantage it offers, but rather for the disadvantage.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I get that completely, Squirrelly.

Don't think I am bashing traditional gear at all. Just doing a comparison of each types advantages as the title of the thread follows.

Put it this way...if I shot a deer with my this year @ 20 yards with my compound and 20 with my stick bow next year.....the stick bow kill would be a more rewarding, all other factors being equal.

I just like killing and eating stuff though. Maybe I will get over that and start doing it the hard way?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
no need to get over anything. you can do both at the same time. I just like killing and eating stuff, too.

I need all the advantage I can get. Really. I didn't get to draw my bow back but once last year. The year before that Nada...etc... I will take my crutches. :).

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I need all the advantage I can get. Really. I didn't get to draw my bow back but once last year. The year before that Nada...etc... I will take my crutches. :).

I'm sure Jamie and Hoot can attest to the fact that I used to say the same thing (about needing all the advantage you can get). One day I asked myself how many deer I killed over 25 yards and realized that it was zero. Once I made my first couple kills with a trad bow I was hooked. My caribou hunt was enough to seal the deal and I used the money from selling it to help pay for my taxidermy bill.

That said, you have to have time to shoot and if you don't have it then shooting a compound is the way to go. I was in the same boat this year, but managed to swim to shore and find 10 minutes a day to shoot. I'd bet if you looked hard enough you could find 10-30 minutes to practice.... :smiley_coolpeace: