Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advantages of Traditional Hunting

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The answer to that is pretty simple if you understand supply and demand. I'll even give the nod to the craftsmanship aspect of a stick bow. Yet neither have a bearing towards your original post. My point in posting that was to show that you can easily sink $1K in a stick bow and the purpose is the same: fling arrows at a target. Diablo has a sweet Black Widow and has just as much in it as I do in either of my tricked out compounds. So I really fail to see how proclaiming we all have $1K sunk in our compounds is somehow a "disadvantage".

Feel free to educate me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've also seen $700 stick bows explode in to splinters. So they are not immune to failure regardless of how simple their construction and operation may be.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah but in 10-20yrs, what will that $1000.00 piece of laminated wood be worth against a flagship model compound of today? You'll be lucky if anyone would even look at that compound while that recurve will have retained most of its value.

The reason for that is called innovation. As products change and become better they can demand a higher market price. The older items without those features go lower in price. The exception to that is older items that haven't changed in 20-50 years and usually have hand made craftsmanship. Doesn't make them better by any means. It's a different market.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I bought a 55 Chevy today and whatever the modern equivalence to it is, there is no doubt the 55 Chevy will hold it's value better. Doesn't mean I can put a 16yr old kid in the 55 Chevy and they will be able to know how to drive it. They probably won't know about chokes, vehicles without power steering or power brakes, etc. Bows are no different. Some people need to learn about old school. Others have no desire and want the modern equipment with A/C or let off, or CD players or drop away rests. While the modern conveniences are nice, their future value is not going to hold up like an old stick bow or 55 Chevy.

I don't think anyone will disagree it takes a little more getting used to driving an old Chevy or a stick bow. Does it mean the person that chooses to drive a modern car is at a disadvantage? Does it mean the person driving the old farm truck they need to set the choke to start, double clutch to shift, or shift on the column is better because they drive older technology?

My point? This is a ridiculous conversation. To each their own. Doesn't mean anyone is better than another.

doegirl

The answer to that is pretty simple if you understand supply and demand. I'll even give the nod to the craftsmanship aspect of a stick bow. Yet neither have a bearing towards your original post. My point in posting that was to show that you can easily sink $1K in a stick bow and the purpose is the same: fling arrows at a target. Diablo has a sweet Black Widow and has just as much in it as I do in either of my tricked out compounds. So I really fail to see how proclaiming we all have $1K sunk in our compounds is somehow a "disadvantage".

Within a relatively short period your bow will be old news.
My PSE Omen might be the fastest bow out there now, but what will it be in 5yrs?
It will be a has been, not cool anymore.
Some may attribute it to technological "innovation". I think its more along the lines of slick marketing designs and the desire to have the biggest, baddest, and newest.
So now I'm guilty of being off topic. Now I gotta get back in the saddle before I get labled a hypocrite.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So now I'm guilty of being off topic. Now I gotta get back in the saddle before I get labled a hypocrite.

how do you figure youre off topic? you wanted a compound versus trad discussion, here it is.

Some may attribute it to technological "innovation". I think its more along the lines of slick marketing designs and the desire to have the biggest, baddest, and newest.

Are you just now figuring out we live in a capitalist society? Get them to buy your stuff before they buy the other guys stuff. marketing 101 in a world ruled by the dollar. You mean to tell me that trad manufacturers dont market their products by pointing out how they are better than the competition?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Within a relatively short period your bow will be old news.
My PSE Omen might be the fastest bow out there now, but what will it be in 5yrs?
It will be a has been, not cool anymore.

Are you saying compounds don't improve year after year and the only reason people buy a new one is because they're suckers who fall for slick marketing?

Last edited:

Tiny

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive starter trad bow?

Look into the wagner long bows or martin recurves. both great quality bows for the money. My favorite recurve from Martin is the mamba and it is not expensive for the bow that it is. Look on ebay for a used mamba or Bear Kodiak Magnum would be my recommendation.

Tiny

Doesn't matter. Having a trad forum isn't a pass to stand on a high horse and start threads running down others based on their weapon of choice. Perhaps that was not the original intention but that is exactly how it was perceived. An in online communities perception is 99% of what matters.

You're kidding right?. This thread was in no way meant to be an attack on anyone. You (and others) have read into this what you felt. There are others here who have seen just what the author was saying but you and those who share your thin skin want to accuse Doegirl of being an elitist simply because she see's an advantage to using a bow that you yourself do not.

It's ridiculous where this has gone and it seems to me that maybe some folks have an envy issue. Kinda like the old proverb concerning the fox and the grapes.

Shameful. :(

Tiny

Are you saying compounds don't improve year after year and the only reason people buy a new one is because they're suckers who fall for slick marketing?

I am saying that for sure. A bow every ten years may be very different but each year?.... no... not at all.
The improvements over the ten year period also (generally) offer no more material and only differing design modifications, so to say that you are getting what you are paying for is not true in the sense of seeing the manufacturers increased cost of production, aside from material costs.
Having owned a shop and knowing what goes into it on the manufacturing side of things.... I can assure you that customers are being played for fools and have been for many many years.
The customer (of course) is a willing participant and therefore sets the standard for pricing.

With what is being charged now-a-days, I can understand why someone would be touchy about the subject and feel the need to justify those insane outlays of cash for so little in return :D

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You're kidding right?. This thread was in no way meant to be an attack on anyone. You (and others) have read into this what you felt. There are others here who have seen just what the author was saying but you and those who share your thin skin want to accuse Doegirl of being an elitist simply because she see's an advantage to using a bow that you yourself do not.

It's ridiculous where this has gone and it seems to me that maybe some folks have an envy issue. Kinda like the old proverb concerning the fox and the grapes.

Shameful. :(

Are you sure about that? Please explain to me how this statement doesn't fit that bill to a T?

Practically the whole modern archery industry revolves around selling the latest and greatest to help an archer hide his weaknesses.

It's the equivalent of me going to a forum that's 99% trad shooters and saying "Practically the only reason Stick bows are still sold is because old people are incapable of learning to shoot a compound" Not only would such an action make me look like a pompous ass but it would also be seen as an attack on a group of individuals. And if you don't see that, then yall really are a perfect couple.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am saying that for sure. A bow every ten years may be very different but each year?.... no... not at all.
The improvements over the ten year period also (generally) offer no more material and only differing design modifications, so to say that you are getting what you are paying for is not true in the sense of seeing the manufacturers increased cost of production, aside from material costs.
Having owned a shop and knowing what goes into it on the manufacturing side of things.... I can assure you that customers are being played for fools and have been for many many years.
The customer (of course) is a willing participant and therefore sets the standard for pricing.

With what is being charged now-a-days, I can understand why someone would be touchy about the subject and feel the need to justify those insane outlays of cash for so little in return :D

Just goes to show that very rarely do the people who own shops and sell bows actually understand them. Design is what makes all the difference in the world. What's the difference between a cam in 1990 and a cam today? Both are round, both go at the end of a bow. The only difference is Design. Shapes, radius, curvatures, stops, and modules have turned the compound bow of the 90's into a much faster, lighter, flatter shooting piece of equipment. all of that didn't happen all of a sudden in one year every 10 years. It happens every year, bit by bit, improvement by improvement, and 99% of that is design. What's the difference between a Mathews and say a K&K or a Strother. The designer who knows and understands what it takes to make a better bow. That's why people like Strother have managed to make bows that are at lights out. Many times on your lower end bows it's a continuation of previous years designs. But look at a companies flagship bow and you'll generally see improvements year over year. All of these add up over a 10 year span to be a huge improvement. By not acknowledging that it exposes that you really don't understand what goes in to designing and producing a modern compound bow. Are they expensive? Sure. Are there those who just have to have the latest and greatest. Sure. you'll have that with any product. But to make such a sweeping generalization about everyone who shoots a compound simply exposes your bias.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I don't think he was arguing the improvements over the long term. Tiny's argument was towards buying a new bow every year (at least that's how I took it) when the changes are minimal.

I have to admit, I shot the Bowtech Experience and liked it a lot. I'd get one, but squirrely and hoot both told me they'd make me eat my elitist card if I did.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The passive-aggressiveness is thick, thick enough to cut. Say what you meannand mean what you say.

Tiny must have worked at a Mathews dealer...innovation stopped in 2001. :smiley_bagonhead::smiley_crocodile:

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think he was arguing the improvements over the long term. Tiny's argument was towards buying a new bow every year (at least that's how I took it) when the changes are minimal.

I have to admit, I shot the Bowtech Experience and liked it a lot. I'd get one, but squirrely and hoot both told me they'd make me eat my elitist card if I did.....

And I spoke to that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I see absolutely no correlation between someone's uncontrollable need to have the latest and greatest, and the notion that a stick bow is more "convenient" than a compound. That speaks more to certain people's lack of self control and/or gullibility than anything else. That fact has nothing at all to do with supposed "point" for starting this thread.

And as far as thin skin is concerned, I don't see it. What I see is someone who started a fire, fanned the flames, and now can't stand the heat. Might not have been the original intent, but fire do start by accident too. Certain proclamations require the author to defend the statement and the first post in this thread is one such statement. I also see a group of accepting archers. We all agree that what matters is that you're a good person and a good steward. But this is also not the group to shy away from speaking up when we don't agree with something. It is nothing personal, just business...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
bunny-pancake.jpg