Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advantages of Traditional Hunting

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Speculating only by the title of the thread, I would interpret that the intent is to start a discussion about the advantage of hunting (not shooting) traditional vs. compound...

It's the season where the archery forums are full of distraught compound shooters who can't get their bows tuned or have some sort of equipment failure. They laid out well over a grand on their setups and are faced with either running to the proshop or buying an expensive press to work on their bows. God forbid if something goes wrong in the field.

I can certainly see where that's true, but I don't frequent other forums so my expose is kinda limited, and my observations from this forum is that when a distraught compound shooter posts up a question looking for help. That post is answered, often times PMs are sent to the distraught compound shooter, and in many many cases members from this site have gotten together to assist each other in tuning bows. Helping each other better understand their equipment. I know I've benefited over the years from many of the members here on TOO.

I'm really now starting to think the supposed benefits of a compound are overblown. Especially in close in hunting situations 25yds or less. Archer Fred Eichler said trad shooters are at an advantage at closer ranges and I have to agree with him.

I guess I would have to have more information to qualify the statement. I'm a big fan of Fred Eichler, so I'm sure he makes some valid points.

For the time it takes a compound shooter to prepare for the shot, the trad shooter already has his arrow downrange and is snapping the second arrow onto the string. I've had a few opportunities blown while hunting with a compound because the it all happened too fast.

Having never shot a tradition bow I might not be qualified to respond to that statement. I'm guessing that because a traditional shooter is shooting instinctively therein lies the advantage because a compound shooter is still placing his pin on the animal? That makes sense to me. Getting off a quicker shot can be an advantage if that quicker shot is executed accurately. What could also be debated is that perhaps an advantage here is that the compound shooter placing a 20 yard pin (since we're talking about close range) has the potential to be much more consistently precise so there isn't a need to already be snapping the second arrow onto the string.

OH and no bow press! Just a $15 stringer assuming you use one. An arrow saw is probably the biggest ticket item a trad bowhunter should have. You just saved a ton not having buy all the the needed "stuff" that screws into the riser of a compound.

I can definitely see an advantage in simplicity here.

Imo, the hardest thing to tune on a longbow or recurve is the archer himself.

The same could also be argued to compound shooters as well. I've noticed in the short time I've been hunting with a compound that consistent form, and a repetitive process are key to me shooting well. When my form falters, or my mechanics vary from shot to shot, my groups also suffer. However when I'm doing things right, and following the same steps for each and every shot my groups get so stacked up that I'm refletching arrows after that practice session.

Practically the whole modern archery industry revolves around selling the latest and greatest to help an archer hide his weaknesses. Really only the manufacturers benefit from this.

I can see your point, and would even take it a step farther in that whole modern hunting industry revolves around selling the latest and greatest to help a hunter hide his weaknesses. Just look at all the stuff lining the shelves and on the glorified infomercials that are called hunting shows. Do we really need all of that stuff to just kill a deer? Probably not. But, out of the other side of my mouth I will say that if I see a product, that offers me an advantage in the woods, and is not a gimmick with a celebrity name on it, I'm gonna buy it.

IMO most able bodied bowhunters would find much more fullfillment and satisfaction returning to the simpler ways. Not for "challenge", but because it simply makes sense.

I still don't completely see a clear cut advantage to why it makes sense?

The close range shot <25 yds being an advantage is debatable. What about the 40 yard shot?

Simplicity vs Technical? Both have their place I think. In fact, I try to keep the "stuff" screwed onto my riser as simple as possible. Plus I keep tools & back up "stuff" with me should something happen in the field. Again, this would be a debatable point, which is fun to talk through & think about.

Tuning the archer? Again, I think any hunter needs to be responsible for tuning themselves. No matter what implement is chosen to kill a deer. As a hunter, we all owe that to the game we chase.

So what else is there that makes "sense" for a compound shooter to transition to traditional?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm gonna buy me a trad bow just to see what the fuss is about.
Bought everydamnedthing else, might as well.

I'm also in the market for a harpoon. But I regularly hunt from the ground, and I think that a harpoon would be better from a tree stand.

Seriously, I think the simplicity of hunting and shooting a traditional bow would be a great thing. I'm betting that accuracy would be better at shorter distances, so getting close to the game is the trick. We can do that.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive starter trad bow?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Lemme restate line in my previous post: "I'm betting that MY accuracy would be better at shorter distances than longer distances"

Cuz I'm inconsistent, that's why

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
i'm gonna buy me a trad bow just to see what the fuss is about.
Bought everydamnedthing else, might as well.

I'm also in the market for a harpoon. But i regularly hunt from the ground, and i think that a harpoon would be better from a tree stand.

Seriously, i think the simplicity of hunting and shooting a traditional bow would be a great thing. I'm betting that accuracy would be better at shorter distances, so getting close to the game is the trick. We can do that.

can anyone recommend an inexpensive starter trad bow?

black widow!!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Didn't this start in the Trad Forum or was it moved here?

Doesn't matter. Having a trad forum isn't a pass to stand on a high horse and start threads running down others based on their weapon of choice. Perhaps that was not the original intention but that is exactly how it was perceived. An in online communities perception is 99% of what matters.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Dan,
I think I bought mine off Adam for "a Benjamin".
Works great out to about 20 yards.
It has drawn blood on a turkey thus far with old school arrowheads, cedar shafts, and feathers.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I shoulda kept that Black Widow I sold Diablo. That thing is SWEET. My compound had anxiety issues after seeing it...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Doesn't matter. Having a trad forum isn't a pass to stand on a high horse and start threads running down others based on their weapon of choice. Perhaps that was not the original intention but that is exactly how it was perceived. An in online communities perception is 99% of what matters.

Dang what happened to you guys! You all used to be full of fire and ready to stir the pot! Dang, I guesss we are all growing up......:smiley_crocodile:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Anybody else got a stick for a Bennie let me know
I start cheap, get hooked, then buy up.
(or sometimes just stay cheap :smiley_bril: )

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive starter trad bow?

I have actually been shopping around for a recurve for a couple months. After keeping an eye on what the going prices are and checking customer reviews I am looking at a samick sage. At about $140 brand new it seems to be what most experienced trad enthusiasts are recommending as a good entry level bow.

I would still like to put my hands on one to see what kind of poundage I would feel comfortable with, but unfortunately most archery shops around here only cary a couple bows, if any at all. Not trying to keep poking sticks here, but that IMO is another disadvantage to trad shooters. Finding a Shop that not only carries trad equipment but actually has a knowledgeable person to help the customer is difficult to say the least.

Heres what I am wondering, The vast majority of guys that have responded to this thread have stated that there were some valid points to be made as to the advantages of trad equipment. They have also made valid points with respect to compound equipment, but there has been no acknowledgement of those points.

Why not?

You claim to be a non elitist, just want to have a discussion on the topic, but have no comment on the points made by those who's opinions don't go along with yours. You have to admit that faster arrow speeds, flatter trajectories, higher KE, and more precise shot placement are, in fact, advantages that go to a compound bow.

doegirl

You have to consider TOO Dan that we all apparently have $1K invested in our ready to fail contraptions, so you can buy a lot of lumber for that!

Case in point: https://blackwidowbows.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=104_61_140&product_id=80
Yeah but in 10-20yrs, what will that $1000.00 piece of laminated wood be worth against a flagship model compound of today? You'll be lucky if anyone would even look at that compound while that recurve will have retained most of its value.

Last edited: