Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advantages of Traditional Hunting

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think it went off topic anymore than what was expected from such a post. Every post like this I have ever seen written with such an undertone of elitism has gone the same way. Even with compound guys ragging crossbows, or bow guys ragging guns. They all end up the same. So. Really. Its right on topic and expected. As for hoot. Awesome guy. I think Jesse was referring to the time he killed a deer with a trad bow and an arrowhead he found and resharpened. Wasn't really the point of the post though. It was how awesome that is but hoot is the last person you would ever meet that has an elitist attitude.

Screw Hoot. He shoots deer with a gun too.

doegirl

Well you know, I read this study on current trends on treating opiate addiction and...
OH, wait a minute. I'm off topic, just like everyone else:smiley_depressive:
Really, if we can't have an objective discussion over equipment without having the "elitism" accusation for every other post, then why bother even having a forum?

Last edited:

doegirl

I don't think it went off topic anymore than what was expected from such a post. Every post like this I have ever seen written with such an undertone of elitism has gone the same way. Even with compound guys ragging crossbows, or bow guys ragging guns. They all end up the same. So. Really. Its right on topic and expected. As for hoot. Awesome guy. I think Jesse was referring to the time he killed a deer with a trad bow and an arrowhead he found and resharpened. Wasn't really the point of the post though. It was how awesome that is but hoot is the last person you would ever meet that has an elitist attitude.
Uhh yeah it did go way off of topic.
All it took was a select few self righteous posters proclaiming the"we are all brothers" rhetoric to steer this thread way off course.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
This thread went exactly where you expected it to when you originally posted it. I have seen many threads like this and they all go the same way.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Diablo54

Outside
It's the season where the archery forums are full of distraught compound shooters who can't get their bows tuned or have some sort of equipment failure. They laid out well over a grand on their setups and are faced with either running to the proshop or buying an expensive press to work on their bows. God forbid if something goes wrong in the field.
I'm really now starting to think the supposed benefits of a compound are overblown. Especially in close in hunting situations 25yds or less. Archer Fred Eichler said trad shooters are at an advantage at closer ranges and I have to agree with him.
For the time it takes a compound shooter to prepare for the shot, the trad shooter already has his arrow downrange and is snapping the second arrow onto the string. I've had a few opportunities blown while hunting with a compound because the it all happened too fast.
OH and no bow press! Just a $15 stringer assuming you use one. An arrow saw is probably the biggest ticket item a trad bowhunter should have. You just saved a ton not having buy all the the needed "stuff" that screws into the riser of a compound.
Imo, the hardest thing to tune on a longbow or recurve is the archer himself. Practically the whole modern archery industry revolves around selling the latest and greatest to help an archer hide his weaknesses. Really only the manufacturers benefit from this.
IMO most able bodied bowhunters would find much more fullfillment and satisfaction returning to the simpler ways. Not for "challenge", but because it simply makes sense.

Really?? I've never understood people like this. Your not better than anyone. Just because you shoot traditional does not mean that you have any special powers. Anyone with time and a bow can do it. People like you give us all a bad name.

Tiny

Well!... Look at what we have here!! :D

For those that think Doegirl is an elitist... You couldn't be any further from the fact of who and what she is.

I know just what she meant because I have heard her say this to my face and we have talked about her views at length. She is hardly an elitist, Hunting with
all types of bows and guns, over the course of 20+ years.

The problem (as was said) is that when a person reads, that person reads into it, what that person is open to as interpretation.

When Doegirl said able body, she was serious and it was simply a statement of fact. Someone who is not able body, cannot hunt with a stick. Be it strength or other physical ailment, the fact is that shooting a stick requires a good physical disposition, whereas a compound is not as demanding.
This is/was a simple statement of fact.

When she did mention (second post) that she had met a better group of people in the traditional crowds, it was a fact but it was in responce to another post, which also was a off topic comment to which she was replying. Again, the misimpression that the reader got, took the topic off the original/intended course and both parties are responsible for that ;)
Now with that said...
I have been active in shooting hunter courses (around the country) for over 35 years (back before there were 3-D targets or the IBO) so I have seen everyone, from every walk of life at these shoots and what she says is true across the board.
She isn't an elitist for pointing out a fact.... despite that fact that it had nothing to do with the topic.

Doegirl got some food for thought from a very accomplished bowhunter (who shoots both traditional and modern) and she chewed on that for a long time. She came to her own conclusion after much thought and she wanted to share what she believes to be true. She was attempting to share what had been shared with her by someone far beyond and above anyone here.... In hopes that maybe someone like herself might also benefit from this insight.

Too many people here with a ready - shoot - aim mentality and thin skin. :D

(Good group all the same I say :) )

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am able bodied...I use a Rambo knife and a fig leaf. :)

:smiley_I'mgonnastababuck:

:smiley_thenusehisantlersstokillhisprogeny:

Bows are for sissies and guns are for city folk....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Really?? I've never understood people like this. Your not better than anyone. Just because you shoot traditional does not mean that you have any special powers. Anyone with time and a bow can do it. People like you give us all a bad name.

This here says it all for me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well you know, I read this study on current trends on treating opiate addiction and...
OH, wait a minute. I'm off topic, just like everyone else:smiley_depressive:
Really, if we can't have an objective discussion over equipment without having the "elitism" accusation for every other post, then why bother even having a forum?

I've been pretty objective from the beginning. I shoot a stick bow. I know several people who are very proficient with them and I fully understand the benefits of shooting one. But your first post wreaks of elitism whether you think it does or not. It is just not me who thinks that either...

Too many people here with a ready - shoot - aim mentality and thin skin. :D

(Good group all the same I say :) )

I've been around these forums for almost 10 years. Thin skin is something I no longer have. What I do have is an intolerance for people who want to start trouble, whether knowingly or otherwise. Coming in to a room full of compound shooters and telling us we shoot compounds to cover up our weaknesses is a sure fire way to experience some backlash. Sooner she figures that out, the smoother this ride will be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
doegirl... Just to help clarify, what was the original intent of the post?

Here's another question to answer while you are it. Would you have been so quick to make the same proclamation at our shoot a couple weeks ago in front 18 compound shooters and one stick bow? In front of a group of highly competent and skilled archers?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Is it better to have someone who hunts with traditional gear, but sticks deer and doesn't recover? Or same person, hunt with a compound and has far more chance at killing and recovering. The same individual, loves archery and the deer he hunts. Same theory goes to crossbows and compounds.