Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advantages of Traditional Hunting

Jamie

Ohio
Jackalope, if that that is what you took away from the original post, then I repeat, everything is a matter of perception. what I took from the original post was that traditional archery equipment is cheaper to acquire and keep in good working order. and can be shot more quickly, and is faster with a follow up shot, too.

Here are some of the advantages of shooting trad in my eyes. I own three compounds and 8 traditional bows. Three of the trad bows I have built myself.
1. Weight. The most trad bows weigh nothing compared to compounds.
2. Shooting without a sight makes it easy with some practice to hit moving targets like rabbits.
3. Kind of goes along with number 2. You can learn to shoot aerial targets.
4. When you manage to harvest an animal with a trad bow there is defiantly more sense of pride.
5. Trad archery has many fun associated hobbies you can get yourself into. Cresting arrows, leather work for arm guards ect, and building your own bow.
6. Easier to tune.

Now the disadvantages when compared to compounds.

1. arrow speed and power.
2. precision
3. Practice time
4. compounds have a flatter arrow trajectory.

Its all about what you want to take away from the sport. Archery is the most varied sport in the world.

Last edited:

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I say "To Each His or Her Own". If it is legal and the shooter is proficient with his or her weapon of choice so be it. Just sayin. :smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't disagree with that. Nor do I have issue with such statements as they're largely true. It's the elitist air of superiority I take issue with. Shooting a trad bow makes you no better than any other hunter. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I also agree that reliance on technology has inherently reduced our ability to shoot instinctively. I haven't ridden a horse in years and would likely be rusty behind the reins, as such I drive a modern motorized vehicle to work. But to see a trad person with an elitist attitude sort of reminds me of a person on horseback shaking their fist at me as I pass yelling "you're not a real commuter". while both will get the job done and have their advantages and disadvantages especially around maintenance and operation. They are simply a preference that entitles nobody to to an air of superiority. An attitude that would have served the OBA well to understand.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
I'm using my bare hands this year. Need to work on my acceleration a little bit, but other then that im solid. Simplicity is bliss.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Taylor shoots trad. Nobody has an issue with that and he's a blast to shoot with at shoots. Likely because he doesn't proclaim statements like compound shooters spend money because they're just covering up their weakness. Not sure how you could perceive that as fair or anything other than a slight towards another group of hunters based on what they shoot.

Amen to that. Taylor is a great example of a trad shooter with ZERO prejudice towards compound archers and it would serve more than a few in the trad community well to share his attitude.

I don't shoot a compound to cover up my weakness. I shoot one because I love perfection. My stick bow is a blast to shoot and when I shoot it regularly, I shoot it well enough to take hunting. However I am never satisfied with my performance and if someone like Brock can reach a point where even his shooting is not good enough, I'll never get there no matter how much I shoot. Picking up my compound and stacking shafts at 50 yards is something I truly enjoy and IMHO, is just as impressive as someone who can shoot a pie plate at 20 yards with a stick bow. I value my stick bow for its simplicity and I truly respect someone like Hoot Gibson who may have one of the finest hunting accomplishments I have ever seen under his belt. For a man to make his own bow, string, arrows, use turkey feathers and a rock that was crafted 10,000 years ago to kill a deer, that there is a true trophy and a fine example of our sport at its purest form. For that, I have all the respect in the world for Hoot and he gets even more respect from me for not holding that accomplishment over my head because I don't choose to hunt like that. As long as I live and hunt, his success doing that will rank near the top of the greatest things I have ever been privy to in this great sport.

We built this forum around the concept of brotherhood. Our bond here runs far deeper than what camo you wear, what brand of whatever is your favorite, or what weapon is your primary choice for chasing game animals. We are all here because we love being outdoors and we love sharing our successes, and even our failures, with our like minded brethren. Making statements like Joe quoted above does not fit this ideal and whenever someone goes against that grain, you can bet someone here will speak up...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
IMO, the biggest advantage of shooting traditional is the high horse it allows some people to ride.

That would be me. I can only hope those beneath my greatness will someday see the light and join me on Mt Thunderflight. :smiley_coolpeace:

I'm sure there are some trad shooters who think they reek nothing but of purity.

:pickle:

I'm kind of at a loss as to why posters here are getting defensive about what I posted.
Simply stated, there are some real advantages a trad bow has over a compound bow.
I said nothing about the character of the user. Nowhere did I say that compound users or whoever are lesser people.
I'm comparing one piece of equipment to another, not one hunter to another.

It's because there are those who shoot trad and those who deep down in dark places they don't like to look; wish they too shot trad. Being an elitist can be difficult. If it was easy then everyone would be one......:smiley_coolpeace:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
On a serious note:

I think for 25 and close a traditional bow is a much more effective weapon in the competent hands of a practiced archer. There are a lot of reasons why, but my top three are:

1. Target acquisition: Regardless of light, weather, shooting instinctively is much easier. You don't have to worry about sight pins being lit or knocked off or having a peep filled with rain or snow.

2. Follow on shots: You can shoot more arrows faster than a compound.

3. Weight: Carrying a compound has to suck on long hikes and up mountains.

The major down side of trad archery is that it takes a lot of time to become proficient. The harsh reality is we all have jobs and family that require this time too. I almost crossed party lines this year because of that very reason.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It's the season where the archery forums are full of distraught compound shooters who can't get their bows tuned or have some sort of equipment failure. They laid out well over a grand on their setups and are faced with either running to the proshop or buying an expensive press to work on their bows. God forbid if something goes wrong in the field.
I'm really now starting to think the supposed benefits of a compound are overblown. Especially in close in hunting situations 25yds or less. Archer Fred Eichler said trad shooters are at an advantage at closer ranges and I have to agree with him.
For the time it takes a compound shooter to prepare for the shot, the trad shooter already has his arrow downrange and is snapping the second arrow onto the string. I've had a few opportunities blown while hunting with a compound because the it all happened too fast.
OH and no bow press! Just a $15 stringer assuming you use one. An arrow saw is probably the biggest ticket item a trad bowhunter should have. You just saved a ton not having buy all the the needed "stuff" that screws into the riser of a compound.
Imo, the hardest thing to tune on a longbow or recurve is the archer himself. Practically the whole modern archery industry revolves around selling the latest and greatest to help an archer hide his weaknesses. Really only the manufacturers benefit from this.
IMO most able bodied bowhunters would find much more fullfillment and satisfaction returning to the simpler ways. Not for "challenge", but because it simply makes sense.

Dang! If I didn't know any better I would bet that you have a long lost cousin that loves to camp down at WNF.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'll be honest. The reason why I got a longbow was because of a high school kid. He's a good kid TOO! You might know him and I know you know his dad.

Jamie

Ohio
Amen to that. Taylor is a great example of a trad shooter with ZERO prejudice towards compound archers and it would serve more than a few in the trad community well to share his attitude.

I don't shoot a compound to cover up my weakness. I shoot one because I love perfection. My stick bow is a blast to shoot and when I shoot it regularly, I shoot it well enough to take hunting. However I am never satisfied with my performance and if someone like Brock can reach a point where even his shooting is not good enough, I'll never get there no matter how much I shoot. Picking up my compound and stacking shafts at 50 yards is something I truly enjoy and IMHO, is just as impressive as someone who can shoot a pie plate at 20 yards with a stick bow. I value my stick bow for its simplicity and I truly respect someone like Hoot Gibson who may have one of the finest hunting accomplishments I have ever seen under his belt. For a man to make his own bow, string, arrows, use turkey feathers and a rock that was crafted 10,000 years ago to kill a deer, that there is a true trophy and a fine example of our sport at its purest form. For that, I have all the respect in the world for Hoot and he gets even more respect from me for not holding that accomplishment over my head because I don't choose to hunt like that. As long as I live and hunt, his success doing that will rank near the top of the greatest things I have ever been privy to in this great sport.

We built this forum around the concept of brotherhood. Our bond here runs far deeper than what camo you wear, what brand of whatever is your favorite, or what weapon is your primary choice for chasing game animals. We are all here because we love being outdoors and we love sharing our successes, and even our failures, with our like minded brethren. Making statements like Joe quoted above does not fit this ideal and whenever someone goes against that grain, you can bet someone here will speak up...

well this thread certainly went way off topic. Jesse, Hoot Gibson has never made a bow in his life. LOL! I wish you boys knew Hoot like I do. I am most fortunate to count him a close friend. he still deserves your respect, though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
well this thread certainly went way off topic. Jesse, Hoot Gibson has never made a bow in his life. LOL! I wish you boys knew Hoot like I do. I am most fortunate to count him a close friend. he still deserves your respect, though.

I don't think it went off topic anymore than what was expected from such a post. Every post like this I have ever seen written with such an undertone of elitism has gone the same way. Even with compound guys ragging crossbows, or bow guys ragging guns. They all end up the same. So. Really. Its right on topic and expected. As for hoot. Awesome guy. I think Jesse was referring to the time he killed a deer with a trad bow and an arrowhead he found and resharpened. Wasn't really the point of the post though. It was how awesome that is but hoot is the last person you would ever meet that has an elitist attitude.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, squirrely, that bow YOU made looks good in Hoot's hands. :). You're a craftsman, buddy. You'll always have my respect for that!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, so I shouldn't say anything -----but I will anyway :)

Once upon a time, I believe trad did hold an advantage over more mechanical bows. Back in the day (10-15 yrs ago), it was very common for compounds to slip out of time or break at the worst possible time. In 1988, I borrowed a bow from a buddy on Nov 2 because the bow I worked on and shot all summer (Martin Cougar Mag) exploded on November 1. I killed an 8 pt at 10 steps, from the ground with a borrowed, piece of crap bow. It was the first deer I ever rattled in and killed. It was a Darton, and was probably 2" shorter than my normal draw at the time. If I'd been shooting Dad's old recurve that season, the worst thing I would have encountered would have been a broken string....

Toady, I don't for a minute think trad bows hold that advantage. I've shot compounds thousands of times, with no failures to speak of. They are simply made of better materials, and are nearly bullet proof. For those of you that haven't been shooting long enough to know what a tear-drop is, or to have never enjoyed the pleasure of a rattling overdraw, trust me, we have it pretty dang good these days. The compounds of today simply do NOT fail with the regularity of the compounds from years gone by. I no longer see any advantage to shooting trad equipment, if your looking at it from a strictly "clean kill machine" perspective. Having said that, for those that like the challenge, and are capable, there is nothing any more rewarding than doing it the "hard way". For the animals sake, I do believe most but not all trad shooters would benefit the sport more by hunting with a compound, and learn to hit precisely where they aim. I will never have the same precision with trad equipment at hunting ranges that I do modern gear, so for me, most days, I carry that heavy chunk of metal to the woods.... And on the really rare occasion I run into what has become known as an "elitist", I don't mind going to the range with them to shoot. It's not because I can't, it's because I'm free to choose.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well sue more for having the details wrong. Didn't mean to rob you of any glory. Like Joe stated, the point wasn't who made it. The point was Hoot has done things as "pure" as it comes and yet he doesn't hold it over peoples heads. Can't say the same for some of the old OBA guard I've met over the years...