Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Season Fitness

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Charles and Sean the workout photo they tried too hide!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 127

teej89

NE PA
I'm trying to loose 15 pounds before elk season. The bad part is that I like to eat and drink so it's not working out that well.

Don't we all haha I can't help ya with the drinking part cuz I can't even help myself with that. However... With the liking to eat part I sure can tho. So whatcha want to do is eat 6 meals a day. For me that's 6am 9am noon 3 then after the gym round 6 then again before bed. If you can work out in the morning wait until after you workout to eat cuz your body will dip into it's fat reserves for energy. If you eat before working out it'll use the food for energy. Now as far as the six meals to.... I dunno his much youre eating now but to cut it back to the typical "2000 calorie diet" those six meals should be round 300-400 cals a piece. I shoot for 3 big meals and 3 small meals. So right now I'm at 3000/day eating 3 700 calorie meals and 3 300 calorie meals. I fluctuate between 2400 and 3000 depending on my workout regime. But for some meal options: start your day with carbs then cut em out as the day goes on. Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, I add peanut butter and fruit, then for mid morning snack you can do yogurt and walnuts/almonds, lunch I go with a tuna salad some more fruit or my favorite is advacado wrapped with turkey seared in a pan then the afternoon snack string cheese :D (low fat) and almonds. Then dinner is chicken steak or salmon with sweet potato and asparagus. Then I end the night with cottage cheese. This is just a sample but pick out your favorite healthy foods look at what's actually in then calories and fat wise.

But by breaking up your meals into smaller meals you'll never feel stuffed so you'll be able to be more active, you'll always be "full" I use that lightly cuz it's impossible to always be full but not stuffed. And you'll avoid snacking between meals. Oh and drink plenty of H2O!!!

Sorry for the long response this is just all random unorganized information. Hope it helps!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I was on the 6 meals a day and bust my ass in the gym until my kids started being involved in so much. I also got burnt out on the (turning your body into a furnace) 6 meals. I got sick of eatting all the time and preparing meals for it. Today I pretty much focus on running 2 to 3 times a week and short work outs with some weights 1 to 2 times a week. Im in the mindset that a little is better than nothing at all, especially when you work shift work and have kids involved in sports. Good luck TF in getting in shape for your big hunt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The diet and all that jazz is more work than working out. My life just doesn't lend itself to that kind of regimen. I'm at a cross roads right now. I am unhappy with my weight and want to change it, but at the same time, I have enough going on in my life that I don't need to add one more responsibility. I have leveled off at 230, which is 20-30 pounds TOO much, but I don't seem to go past that. I've been debating another gym membership, so we'll see how that goes...

teej89

NE PA
The diet and all that jazz is more work than working out. My life just doesn't lend itself to that kind of regimen. I'm at a cross roads right now. I am unhappy with my weight and want to change it, but at the same time, I have enough going on in my life that I don't need to add one more responsibility. I have leveled off at 230, which is 20-30 pounds TOO much, but I don't seem to go past that. I've been debating another gym membership, so we'll see how that goes...

I don't wanna be that guy but.... if you combine working out and eating right you'll lose that weight in half the time. Half is used relatively here... I make my dinner meals all on sunday, cook up either 5 chicken breasts w/ a sweet potatoe casserole of some sort(the asparagus takes maybe 10 min to cook each night) or a couple pounds of stir fry or my go to is any healthy crock pot recipe. Then when it comes down to it before work I just add some scoops of yogurt in tubberware, make up my lunch, and I leave my almonds and walnuts at work and eat em outta the bag. I think it's something like 27 almonds is an ounce, approximately... and I leave protein bars at work too, they're a good meal replacement.

It does take thought but it's just another routine for me.

Also if you hate jogging but are looking to increase cardio/lose weight, do interval training. Jog for 2 minutes on the treadmill then walk for a minute then jogg for two min then walk and keep cycling. It's not as intense as just straight jogging but it'll keep you're heart rate up almost as high throughout the entire workout and sure as hell beats walking on a tread mill. You can also interchange that with walking and then increasing your walking pace and elevation angle.

I just did a fast google on the interval training but it's as easy as this and you can obviously change the speeds from what they have

http://www.popsugar.com/files/docs/Treadmill_v1.pdf

don't forget 3500 cals=1lb of fat. Decrease your food intake by 300-500 cals and burn 300-500 a day or everyother you can lose up to aprox 1lb(at 3 days a week burning 300 cals and a 300 cal cut on diet) to ~2lb(5 days of working out at 500 cal/workout and a 500 cal cut in diet)

So in a month you cuz burn 4-8 pounds!

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I don't wanna be that guy but.... if you combine working out and eating right you'll lose that weight in half the time. Half is used relatively here... I make my dinner meals all on sunday, cook up either 5 chicken breasts w/ a sweet potatoe casserole of some sort(the asparagus takes maybe 10 min to cook each night) or a couple pounds of stir fry or my go to is any healthy crock pot recipe. Then when it comes down to it before work I just add some scoops of yogurt in tubberware, make up my lunch, and I leave my almonds and walnuts at work and eat em outta the bag. I think it's something like 27 almonds is an ounce, approximately... and I leave protein bars at work too, they're a good meal replacement.

It does take thought but it's just another routine for me.

Also if you hate jogging but are looking to increase cardio/lose weight, do interval training. Jog for 2 minutes on the treadmill then walk for a minute then jogg for two min then walk and keep cycling. It's not as intense as just straight jogging but it'll keep you're heart rate up almost as high throughout the entire workout and sure as hell beats walking on a tread mill. You can also interchange that with walking and then increasing your walking pace and elevation angle.

I just did a fast google on the interval training but it's as easy as this and you can obviously change the speeds from what they have

http://www.popsugar.com/files/docs/Treadmill_v1.pdf

don't forget 3500 cals=1lb of fat. Decrease your food intake by 300-500 cals and burn 300-500 a day or everyother you can lose up to aprox 1lb(at 3 days a week burning 300 cals and a 300 cal cut on diet) to ~2lb(5 days of working out at 500 cal/workout and a 500 cal cut in diet)

You've definitely been doing your homework on working out and eating healthy. How old are ya man? Are ya married or have any little one's running around. The reason Im asking is, I dont have what it takes to put that kind of effort into my diets or workouts anymore and I'm a 44yr old factory worker with 2 kids rotflmao.

teej89

NE PA
You've definitely been doing your homework on working out and eating healthy. How old are ya man? Are ya married or have any little one's running around. The reason Im asking is, I dont have what it takes to put that kind of effort into my diets or workouts anymore and I'm a 44yr old factory worker with 2 kids rotflmao.

haha yeah I understand completely. I'm 24 and as of the past year been single so I do have the time for this kinda stuff. But.... I understand life restrictions with family and what not, just throwing some knowledge out there for whoever wants to take it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hear ya on all that man. I used to be in to dieting and working out back in the day. Then my wife got pregnant. Went from being in the best shape of my life, to the worst in 18 months. Sympathy weight and no desire to take it off since the kid arrived!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My wife and kids know the one thing that I won't give up. I've been working out for so long and so hard. I'm 40 years old now and although things may get tougher as I age, I'm not going down.

Jamie

Ohio
yes, very good topic, Chuck. I'm 45 years old and probably in the worst shape of my life, but I'm still in pretty good shape by most peoples standards. climbing ladders for a living helps me stay in shape, but I lose, on average, 10-15lbs from October to thanksgiving. hunting everyday means lots of long walks carrying stuff like treestand or daypack or both, missing meals, losing sleep, etc., all of which will take weight off of anyone. chasing an energetic squirrel dog around the hills of southern ohio nearly killed me last year, but by the end of January, I was trimming down nicely. after two knee surgeries, my running days are done, but I do a bunch of walking, if only at work. At this stage of the game for me, I think eating properly helps me as much as anything. protein rich breakfast everyday, no fast food, little or no junk food or prepared foods, lots of venison and fish, very little industrial meat. I don't drink soda, and avoid refined sugar like the plague. I rather like snacking on nuts and dried fruit, and I have pretty much quit drinking beer other than on rare occasions. aside from when I played sports in high school, the best shape I have been in in my life was before going out west to hunt elk or mule deer, because I trained hard for months prior to those trips to get myself in the best shape possible. I can't imagine being physically unable to hunt as hard as I want, so I try to keep myself together. it gets harder every year.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm just not a beer drinker, per se. a well made gin or vodka and tonic is worth three beers. half the calories, twice the sophistication. :pickle:

Huckleberry Finn

Yea that is the plan that I'm on. I found it was very easy to decrease my food intake by at least 1,000 calories a week and burn 1,000 more a week. Feels good!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
My wife and kids know the one thing that I won't give up. I've been working out for so long and so hard. I'm 40 years old now and although things may get tougher as I age, I'm not going down.

Yelp you have to make it a priority in life. Bad thing is that after 27 years of being in the Marine Corps I'm starting to fall apart. Between knee, shoulders, and back problems I feel like I'm 60 vise 45.

Regardless I trudge though; it just gets jn your blood.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am in terrible shape. Been down hill since Landon was born. Went from being the leanest and best cardio shape of my life in 2009 to up 30 lbs and a lard in 3 years. I was biking 100-200 miles a week, doing a little racing and could eat/drink what ever I wanted. If I only had an hour, I would nock out a quick 20 mile loop averaging 20-22mph. Tues/Thurs nights I was riding with a group and putting in 45-60 miles depending on daylight.

Now, I would struggle to avg 16mph and I watch my bike collect dust in the basement. I have a hydrolic trainer collecting dust right next to it so I have 0 excuses....