Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FS 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, stopped by the farm to remove 2 cameras as the bad thoughts of them walking away since I found others walking around the last couple pulls. As I headed down past the farmers barn along a thick weedy and honeysuckle choked fence line I was disappointed to see someone had drove a four wheeler down through there about 120 yards clearing it up for hunting entry reasons. Found two piles of broken salt blocks sitting 25 yards apart along the beanfield that confirmed my suspicions. FUGG!!! They wait till the weekend before hunting season to disturb my primary hunting land! WTF!!! I was meeting the farmer there shortly and brought it to his attention. I asked him if he's given anyone else permission to hunt and he said he hadn't. He seemed like he wasn't too happy about it but its not my call. I showed him how they circumvented his gate by driving their quad along his beanfield taking out a row or two of beans in the process.

He signed my permission slip for me and my girls and said he's going to keep an eye out but him living an hour away won't help much. It just pisses me off that when you try to stay away and be less invasive when entering your hunting area and some douchenozzle plows through interrupting things a week before season with apparently no permission to be there!

I checked all my stands which are still there for now and removed 2 of my cameras and leaving one over a scrape which is set on video.

Not exactly how I like starting my hunting season though....:smiley_confused_vra

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heart breaking to see shenanigans like this a week before the season. Sorry to hear it Ric. Best of luck this year though!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good catching up last week Ric. Hopefully the numb nuts didn't screw things up too badly. When you kill a big one leave the gut pile by their stand.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was great talking to you TOO Sean! You have some awesome bucks on your radar man! Good luck to you this season!

It's killing me not having an opportunity to hunt yet. I hope to get a morning and evening hunt in on Friday and Saturday.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We shall see Chuck. I imagine this might be someone who was given permission to hunt years ago and doesn't have "written" permission now. D/K

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hope the trespassers doesn't mess things up, Ric. I really think that is the sort of thing that keeps me from patterning/killing a good one early. Phil and I were just talking about this very thing. I've never been able to watch a bean field and see a buck enter the same way twice, I've never even seen them come to a bait pile two days in a row at the same time. Knowing I don't have property that is too hard to access to keep people out, or too far from civilization to keep dogs away, I really believe deer cannot establish a routine in my area. People wander around, dogs run loose, deer move from one area to another when they least expect they will have to. I think the poor things bed down in a patch, a dog, person or coyote strolls along and moves them... BAM, now they are staying where they didn't originally plan to until they are bumped again. They might move a mile away when bumped... I just feel it's impossible for me at least, to bet on hunting undisturbed deer. Hopefully, your spot will calm down soon enough, Ric!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Brock, I agree and also believe deer in many areas are difficult to pattern because of intrusion by those things you mentioned. The older those bucks get the less patience they have.....the fuggars! Lol