Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quick easy food plot

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm wanting to do 3 little food plots this weekend on my hunting ground. The thing is, I have no equipment or anything to really do any plots. I know I could burrow some stuff but I'd rather not. What I do have: 4wheeler, rototiller, mower, spreader. I'm thinking about doing just clover, but I'm still not sure in what to throw out. I've heard some good and bad on the throw and grow stuff, but I'm kinda skeptical. You guys are definitly better with this stuff than me. So any ideas or suggestions would be awsome!

rooster85

Lake County
Ive heard both good and bad about the throw and grow as well but I'm going to try them out as soon as i have the time. Where I'm putting my plots i cat get equipment in there hence trying the trow and grow. Good luck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The majority of the seed in the "throw and grow" products is winter rye. Preparing a plot manually with a rototiller sucks balls... Just ask Jesse. lol You could just pick up a backpack sprayer (40-50 bucks) and a gallon of 41% glyphosate concentrate (around 20 bucks) and spray the areas that you want to plant. If you hit it hard and sprayed twice between now and first week of September, you'd have almost bare ground by the time you should plant. At that point, you could just broadcast the winter rye on the bare ground... and either pack it in with 4-wheeler tires or time it so a good rain packs it down. Oats grow very well when broadcast onto bare ground as well. Get your seed at the co-op and you'll free up some cash for the herbicide.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What do you mean by better seed bed?

Like all things in life, you can do just enough or go all out. This applies to food plots, especially throw and grow mixes. You can remove the bare minimum of debris, or you can bust balls and prepare a seed bed worthy of any planting. I prefer to go the extra mile and ensure I give my seed the best chance to thrive.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I second the importance of killing off the existing vegetation. If the plots are "little" you could buy a cheap multi-gallon sprayer or even borrow one to use. I'd let you borrow mine but you are too far away from me. If you mow whatever is present now, wait a week or so and then spray with gly. As long as you can get good seed to soil contact, you will be in business. I've had winter rye germinate while sitting on the hitch of the atv before. A 55 pound bag is less than $20 at a seed store. Clover should be spread on the top if the soil anyhow and packed, if possible.

qdmman

Like all things in life, you can do just enough or go all out. This applies to food plots, especially throw and grow mixes. You can remove the bare minimum of debris, or you can bust balls and prepare a seed bed worthy of any planting. I prefer to go the extra mile and ensure I give my seed the best chance to thrive.

I bet some of my lazy throw and grow plots turn out better and weed free than your till plots. Keep in mind every time u till u bring up a fresh new weed bank. By not tilling the extra thatch helps to hold moisture. Any more I leave the tiller and just spray.

Rye
Wheat
Clovers
Brassicas

All do well broadcasted into killed sod. I like to spray june july and spot spray in august. 2 sprayins of gly at 64oz per acre will leave u with a weed free plot. U don't need a tractor and tiller to have lush food plots. I think a member on hereva while back proved that

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No one said you had to have a tractor and tiller. I plant a very nice secluded opening every year with Throw & Gro without tilling and it does just fine. So does the stuff I till up. Never have issues with weeds. But if you insist you are better at it than me, then by all means have your moment of glory...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're right...I'll just keep my food plot experience and knowledge to myself ;)

Or just learn to contribute in a helpful manner, instead of a demeaning manor. There's a lot of knowledge on this site... I don't think we'll miss it from one member.