Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Traditional Hunting this year?

Jamie

Ohio
yes, only thing worse than a sweaty, hairy nut is two of them. rotflmao

good heavens, Brock, I'm not coming to Highland Co. to triumph over or conquer anything other than my own inexperience. I'll be there practicing my dog handling skills, and with some luck, you and the boy can shoot a few limits of squirrels. best play the date by ear, and make our outing on a day with favorable conditions. if you have mostly greys, we should do it in December. those dang grey squirrels get awfully shy come the end of January. fox squirrels pretty dopey all the time. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Species depends on the woodlot...seriously. Here in our woods, I had never seen a gray until a year or so ago. Now, it's about 50/50. Strange how mother nature works. We saw a gray one day, and it even became a point of discussion with my bride and I...next thing ya know, they are taking over.

We'll see what happens later in the year. We need to get this deer hunting nonsense out of the way for the most part before we get serious about rats.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Several times I've most crossed back over to the techie world, but then I go out and have a great day with my favorite recurve and slap myself for even considering it.

I'm shooting out to 40 yards now so I should be good to go for my September elk hunt.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
My first deer (a buck) kill "years" ago was with a compound and I was thrilled. "years" later my first stick and string deer (a doe) kill was with a recurve and my feet never touched the ground for a week! The sense of accomplishment and pride has never been match. All my deer kill have been a thrill but none compare to the first stick and string. My greatest regret in this life it that I am no longer physically able to continue to hunt with stick and string. Try it, work at it, and the rewards will be un-measureable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiny

I always say I'm going to and then I envision a dream buck walking by at 30 yards. One of these days I'll do it, but I have to get over that fear first...

Recently, Fred Eichler told me that the average yardage for a killing shot that was recorded in the P&Y books was 23 yards. The shot distance average that was acceptable back 50 years ago was 30-50 yards. Same reported success rates as today by the way ;)

With practice (lots) 30 yards isnt any harder than 25 to be honest.

Tiny

This is about the size of it. I generally spend the first of the season with the traditional bows and if I haven't filled the freezer by the end of the first two weeks, I will then consider the compound. Some years I will even take up the crossbow if I just dont have time in the day and can set up on the ground at the end of the day.

I generally set up for a twenty yard shot or less, so if I am where the deer are, there isn't much reason to grab anything other than the recurve.

thats the entire point of traditional archery. it challenges you to see how close you can get to your game(because you have too). it makes you be a better hunter(imho)..you have to accept that you suck a little bit and want to get better. Then there is the adrenaline rush of being that close you have to deal with...

Tiny

My first deer (a buck) kill "years" ago was with a compound and I was thrilled. "years" later my first stick and string deer (a doe) kill was with a recurve and my feet never touched the ground for a week! The sense of accomplishment and pride has never been match. All my deer kill have been a thrill but none compare to the first stick and string. My greatest regret in this life it that I am no longer physically able to continue to hunt with stick and string. Try it, work at it, and the rewards will be un-measureable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that COB. :(

doegirl

Going out this year, but will have a recurve in my hands instead of the longbow. Picked up 54" Fedora Sickle recurve, about 43lbs at my 24.5" drawlength. Sweet little bow that spits arrows out pretty quick. Planning on using Axis 500 shafts and Wensel Woodsmans.

Diablo54

Outside
Recently, Fred Eichler told me that the average yardage for a killing shot that was recorded in the P&Y books was 23 yards. The shot distance average that was acceptable back 50 years ago was 30-50 yards. Same reported success rates as today by the way ;)

With practice (lots) 30 yards isnt any harder than 25 to be honest.

But it's 5 more yards to show off your error.