Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How do you go about finding private land to hunt?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've found once you get permission for one spot, its way easier to branch out. If you get permission from "Farmer A", when you ask his neighbor to hunt, just name drop. This usually works perfectly. I have lived in my area since 2005. I knew absolutely nobody around here. Just by gaining permission for 1 piece, I have a couple thousand acres to hunt in this immediate area withing 3-4 years. Its about 75-25 ag fields to woods ratio, but its a lot of territory. Every year I just gain more and more and bribe the hell out of the guys that let me. Fresh walleye and jerky do wonders

Ricer2231

I use the auditors page, stop on a whim and beat on a door or two, listen at the local diner to the chit chat, and have gotten permission by volunteering my labor at hay making season and fence building time.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It is simply networking and building relationships. Almost all my properties have come through work. Granted my job puts right in the front door of many homes it is probably a little easier for me, but that is how I do it.

Another thing I have found that seems to make it a smoother transition is that I stress the fact that I will be archery hunting only. This lets the gun weary people know that they don't have to worry about stray bullets flying around.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Got turned down last night, prime spot by my house. Already has someone hunting it. Its tough out there, gotta keep looking and banging on doors. eventually one will open up.

qdmman

99.9% of the time if u gain access u will be sharing it. After gaining access I always ask how many hunt it. You might get surprised. In my experiences its either no or a free for all. I have access to a killer farm in a killer area...65-70 huntable acres and 9 people have slips signed! I find myself biting the gas bullet and driving 90 min to my own farm. Point is some private areas get more pressure than larger tracts of public.

Gordo

Athens County
Down here in southeastern ohio, i have sole access to 90% of the properties i hunt. Alot of small tracts. I can see up in farm country how most of the time your statement would b true.

qdmman

Down here in southeastern ohio, i have sole access to 90% of the properties i hunt. Alot of small tracts. I can see up in farm country how most of the time your statement would b true.

Those days of sole access will change eventually....as more people get into it unless you lease them. Eventually those farms will sell, change hands, etc. Been doing this a long time...I have lost access to great places and places I had to myself might as well be public.

Gordo

Athens County
No leasing and only one id consider a farm. Just about all my properties are under 50 acres, with the land owner having their house there.

Im enjoying it while i can. If a property already has a serious bow hunter on it, i usually say 'thanks, but no thanks'. Dont like steppin on other peoples toes. If its hundreds of acres thats a diff story

teej89

NE PA
Alright so I've gotten approximately 100acres off this 150acre "wooded island" with a 20 acre crop field in the middle so it's bout 170acres total surrounded by rural/ag fields/golf course. However I'm trying to get the last bit of it the other 50 acres and the 20 acre ag field. I found the people's address's on the auditor's website, and my question is when would be the best time to approach them? Saturday during the day? Weekday after work? I work till 5 but it takes me 80min to get there so I could get there round 630 at the earliest.

teej89

NE PA
I don't have their phone number, the auditor's site doesn't post that. And I've always thought going in person was more personable than a phone call. Plus it's easier to say no over the phone haha