Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

coyote hound pups

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Our coyote hunting group had a great arrival too day. One of our better females had a litter of 8 today. We have been excited about this since we bred her. Its always enjoyable starting young dogs a watching them mature into great hounds.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Always liked the idea of hounds for yotes..... How many hounds would be the minimum for hunting them?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
We normally dump at least two sometimes up to four at a time depending on size of the section we are hunting and number of guys hunting that day. We have a total of ten hounds we hunt. It is my second most favorite hunting only bow hunting is my favorite. There isn't nothing like seeing two hounds chasing a coyote across a open snow covered field. Its a fun sight.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So two would be your minimum too hunt with? How would one hound work out? Safety issue for just one on one?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Usually two hounds can move a track faster then one. Sure one hound will work but if it can't put the heat on the coyote after its jumped,it may never come out in the open too get a shot . And not too many of the dogs will try too fight a coyote by themselves, which is good unless you like paying vet bills. We always put two in just too cover more area faster. We may hunt ten sections a day and we can cover more ground. Just about how serious you want too get into it I guess.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
It is a ball its good cometary with our group of twelve or so guys. We usually don't start till after gun season for obvious reasons and hunt thru march. Its mostly a weekend thing unless we get a good fresh snow and then there is a lot of vacation days burnt, lol.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Most are shotgunned with 4 buck or 00 . Some are rifle shot anything in the 22 Cal high power range anything much bigger is kinda dangerous up here in the flat land. In the last few years many have been shot with a 22 pistol when the dogs get one bayed up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sounds like a blast. I need to hook up with you guys to watch some day if you would let a guy tag along.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
You are more than welcome too ride along Phil . I enjoy showing the sport too new people. We don't get them jumped everyday but when we do its a blast. We killed 36 last year 10 came from two sections right around my place here.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20130923_205201.jpg well after the 2nd of 3 rounds of shots the kids and me brung our coyote hound pup home. Don't let the pick fool ya she has been a handful already. Can't wait to get her on some tracks and in a few chases in a few more months with the old dogs. These pups sure try your patience at times lol .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe you posted this somewhere and I forgot. What mix of hound is she? Looks like beagle color phase. I would have pictured a cur, walker, catahoula, or longer legged dog. Or will your pup end up being a larger dog than a beagle?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Maybe you posted this somewhere and I forgot. What mix of hound is she? Looks like beagle color phase. I would have pictured a cur, walker, catahoula, or longer legged dog. Or will your pup end up being a larger dog than a beagle?

They are running walkers and yea they stand 25 inches at the shoulder. She's only 8 weeks old in the pic she is long legged she is about the size of a small beagle now already at 10 weeks.