Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting from the ground

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I really like being up in a tree, but I've had some real close encounters, so close that I could have touched them. I usually save the ghillie for this one spot that doesn't have any decent trees.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been fortunate to have killed 3 mature bucks from the ground over the years. I agree with Mike and Phil to go all natural versus a pop up blind.

Other than the wind being very critical, seeing the deer before they see you is just as important...IMO.

Hunting on the ground with archery tackle is a great challenge.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Like some of the others have said, use natural for your ground blind. You will appreciate being able to see all around you to watch them come in rather than wait for them to appear in an open window. Find a big deadfall or a good clump of trees you can back up against and even build up some brush out in front of you. Wear good camouflage and you will be good to go. BTW, my dad still hunts this way all the time and has a few 'blinds' that he prepares every year by adding leafy branches and other brush.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I hunt almost exclusively from the ground.
Natural blind. Blown down oak branches hold their leaves for a long long time - maples, not so much.

I usually go in early, sit till 10 - 1030, then stretch my legs stillhunting for a little while.

Another advantage of hunting on the ground is naptime!

Buckmaster

Portage
I prefer ground hunting over tree stand hunting. More pleasurable, more comfortable, plus you are eye to eye with your prey.
Of the 80 deer I've killed I would say 25 came from ground hunts. My biggest was a 12 point killed at 10 yards from a pop up blind along a deer trail. He was on the move seeking does at 2:14 one November 7th afternoon.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I found 2 maple trees laying parallel 5 feet apart that I made into a ground blind. all I really had to do was put some branches and stuff in the front, the side already have cover from the local vegetation. The trail cam pic I posted of wide boy is 20 yards in front of this blind!

00buck

2 years ago i shot a buck off the ground at 8 foot away i was putting scent hangers with estrous urine out and he came busting in i didnt even have time to think just drew and shot him facing me he died within 50 feet of where i shot him

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
I like to sit near dead falls, on one side of a large tree, and being on a hill or rise looking down to the deer really helps. I started out on the ground, then moved primarily to tree stands, but as I get older I'm trying to hunt more off the ground because there will come a day when I'm too old to be high up. I do like killing deer from the ground, really challenging and gets your blood pumping. I also like to use a screw-in bow holder so your bow is hanging and ready to grab and shoot when you need it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I like to sit near dead falls, on one side of a large tree, and being on a hill or rise looking down to the deer really helps. I started out on the ground, then moved primarily to tree stands, but as I get older I'm trying to hunt more off the ground because there will come a day when I'm too old to be high up. I do like killing deer from the ground, really challenging and gets your blood pumping. I also like to use a screw-in bow holder so your bow is hanging and ready to grab and shoot when you need it.

Good idea with the screw in bow holder for ground hunting, I have a natural blind that I made. I found 2 dead falls parallel to each other 5 feet apart and made a nice setup out of it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You bring up a great point BB about the "getting older" thing. I like hunting off the ground as well but don't do it as much I should. The set ups that have worked best for me were where I had a great vantage point to where I could see the deer long before they neared my shooting lane to where I could be already drawn back for the shot. not getting busted while drawing is the biggest obstacle when hunting off the ground IMO.

Some off my most memorable up close encounters with deer have been while just sitting next to a tree squirrel hunting as well. Several times while deer hunting I've had small bucks nearly walk into me where I had to flinch so they wouldn't! They nearly jumped out of their skin...lol

Last edited:
I only hunt with a crossbow and I have never hunted from a tree. I did have my outhouse stand on a four foot platform, but lowered it back to ground level for this season. I agree that natural blinds work better than pop-ups or permanant box style stands. Not having to draw on a deer has one big advantage. A hunter can set up in a position so that when a deer does appear he is in range or very close to it. I always use this tactic when hunting field edges, especially inside corner setups. I make a blind that allows my crossbow to be at rest in a position facing where a deer will appear. With very little movement I can take the shot. I tried to get my nephew to hunt one of my stands like this a few years ago. He had nothing to do with the idea. He said "you can't see anything until it is right on top of you". I tried to explain to him that was the idea. He sauntered off and climbed in to a tree stand about 80 yards away. He had a good ringside seat when I double lunged a doe later that evening.

The biggest factor for ground hunting is scent control and playing the wind. I've had many deer within 5 yards of me and never knew I was there. I've had birds land on my hat and perch on the string of my crossbow at times and even had a gray squirrel walk across the limbs of my crossbow one time. Being on the ground gets you up close and personal with the animals around you.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Thanks for all the info guys, definitely gave me some great ideas, I ordered a new ghillie suit yesterday from ghillieghillie.com, should be here by Friday, gonna get it washed up, then smoked and put her to use! Wonder if I will be the only guy in Hobby Lobby buying artificial leaves this weekend!! Lol

Thanks for all the info guys, definitely gave me some great ideas, I ordered a new ghillie suit yesterday from ghillieghillie.com, should be here by Friday, gonna get it washed up, then smoked and put her to use! Wonder if I will be the only guy in Hobby Lobby buying artificial leaves this weekend!! Lol

Probably not.

Attachments

• DCP28511.JPG
    DCP28511.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 129

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
The ghillie suit was sitting on the porch today when we got home from OSU, had to try it on and see what it looked like, lol, gonna wash it up, smoke it and give it a shot! got the leaves to put on it, I will post another pic after I get them put on

ghillie suit.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You look like a bush!

I worked on making one today, but I think I'd be better off to buy. What a pain in the tail. I've never used one, but have hunted on the ground for years. I don't think there is much advantage to trees aside from being able to see a greater distance. Good luck this season. You may find the ground to be more enjoyable than a tree ever was.

Attachments

• Madison-20130916-01045.jpg
    Madison-20130916-01045.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 126

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Looks good. Is that hard to shoot a bow with? Looks like the string may hit your sleeve easily.

Yeah definately gonna have to trim the left sleeve down some, gonna try shootin with it tonight before I wash it and see how much I will have to remove Dick, probably have to trim out the right side of the hood too for my anchor point