Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rack Vers Meat hunting ?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
We do both. We eat a lot of venison through the year so it is very important to fill the freezer. On the other side of the coin there is no excitement like having a large racked mature buck within bow range!

I am glad I hunt two states for this reason. In Ohio our numbers are down still on our farm and with only seeing single fawns and not many of them we likely will not shoot a doe again this year. Down there I end up going after the mature buck and will not settle far from that goal. Up here in Michigan the farms we hunt the deer numbers are still high and does (and young bucks for the kids) are plentiful so that's where we get most of our meat from.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've passed more bucks then I've ever shot in the last few years, drop a doe or two for the table then try the rut for a good rack if I can get lucky enough too get on one that is lol.... Last year I started targeting a certain buck then hold out for it and it worked out.... Going too try it again this year....

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I hunt for pure enjoyment TOO, but holding out for a mature buck keeps me in the woods longer. Lol. I don't have to kill to be successful, and some of my best seasons I have had tag sandwiches after seasons end.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
It been 3 years since I have bout hamburger for the family if that says anything. I meat hunt but I won't shoot a buck under 16 wide and in my area that's usually a challenge in itself if you can shoot pope and young every year your doing your homework in my area due too the pressure. And I won't shoot anything under 125, I would rather put a does down before a year and half old buck jmo. If I eat buck tag its no big deal, fortunately I haven't had that problem in the last several years. I have done my homework and its paid off.

doegirl

I'm like anyone else, I absolutely would like to place my tag on a bruiser buck.
HOWEVER. This is not why I hunt.
I hunt for self satisfaction, and a well placed arrow translates into some of the most delicious table fare known.
Its the practice and preparation that makes bowhunting worth it. Not necessarily the size of the rack.
I'm hoping to take my game one step further by getting my first traditional kill with my longbow this fall. :smiley_coolpeace:

Tiny

For me it is about hunting. I don't care what it is, if I can make use of it then it's good enough for me. I like what Gene Wensel had to say on the matter....
I don't hunt to kill .... I kill because I hunt.

I honestly prefer the slick heads and I can't remember passing one up over the years. Bucks, I have passed more than I have shot. Not a fan of old deer in the freezer. I prefer 1.5 year old prime cuts :)

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Pretty much just try and chase trophy bucks now. If I'm low on meat I will go to a farm that's over run with does on a meat mission which is just as exciting as shooting a mature buck imo. But..... as "I" mature I try to chase the elusive nocturnal big bucks more and more. Theres something about picking a select few bucks out and playing the chess game all year with them that get my rocks off. If another big mature deer shows up I will gladly kill him instead as well. This year I'm going to try and kill a P&Y deer on public grounds..... got my hands full!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am a trophy hunter second. I am a hunter first. Being out there is what it is about. I enjoy filling my freezer with does. When it comes to bucks it is either a stud or I eat my tag. I say this knowing it may sound arrogant but this is not my intention. I am perfectly fine eating my tag. I realize trophies are in the eye of the beholder and a fat doe is a trophy to me as well. When it comes to bucks in NW Ohio. . . Well, some years they just aren't where you can hunt them. You see them on camera on occasion but with small properties you just don't always have the right property to do much more than wait and hope to get lucky. You NEED that buck to step out of his comfort zone in daylight hours at times. Some years it isn't going to happen and I have learned to be okay with it. Makes the trophy that much sweeter when you achieve it.

00buck

i hunt for the meat but if one walks by with nice rack i will shoot it as i am looking to fill the freezer

I'm without a doubt a rack hunter. The only time I shoot a doe is if someone is hunting with me on a particular day and wants some meat. Even on those days if I'm feeling like a buck may show I'll let the girls walk. Shooting just any buck doesn't cut it for me. I have a couple of target bucks each year and they get my undivided attention. I love spending time on stand and agree 100% with BB217, where else can one get this much enjoyment, frustration and thrills for $24.