Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers Welcome: Official Scent Smoker Thread

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used 2 bags of chips @ 2.99 each from Rural King last year and they lasted me all year with over 250 hrs. hunted.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Going to get mine rollin tomorrow when I setup the new blind in the yard to get it's first ever smoke bath and going to go ahead and hang my huntin cloths in there as well.

So ready for deer season to get here lol.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i was a very good promoter this weekend while hunting in kentucky, was with a few friends from tennesse i had the smoker out and they thought i was crazy, but the more i talked about it the more it made since too them,and i had them get on the website too read more about it. within a few minutes one of them orderd one right there on the spot. and the other guys said they were gonna look into them this week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I found another use for the smoker when I fired it up and smoked the inside of our house to cover up the skunk smell. Unfortunately my house smells like hickory smoked skunk now! lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Can a guy over smoke his clothes to were it smells stale?

That is why I do NOT smoke my clothes in a tote as many do. I think it takes on a whole new odor, one that I don't like. It's as close to an ashtray smell as Ive encountered, and it isn't for me!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After trying out the tote method last week, it proved TOO me that it's also a big mess with what the smoke buildup does inside. On the other hand, I recieved a nice compliment from some guy who was walking past my truck at walmart as I was putting my groceries in the back over the weekend. I keep the empty tote in the bed with the toneau covering & he could smell what he imagine was some smoked food inside....lol

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
That is why I do NOT smoke my clothes in a tote as many do. I think it takes on a whole new odor, one that I don't like. It's as close to an ashtray smell as Ive encountered, and it isn't for me!

My thoughts exactly, I rewashed them last night and going to hang them in a small shed to smoke the next time. That's what they reminded me of a smokers clothes.

Buckmaster

Portage
I found some oak chips at Gander the other day. I bought 2 bags for trial this year. It's got to be better than that pungent hickory.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No it does not. When we included chips our shipping cost doubled. For anyone interested in saving shipping cost in the Chillicthe area, Jeron Detty now has them in his store.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I found some oak chips at Gander the other day. I bought 2 bags for trial this year. It's got to be better than that pungent hickory.

I used hickory chips almost all year last year. When I ran out of hickory and I started using oak and found it a little hard to keep burning. But it worked to.
No expert after only one year of use but does the wood type really make a difference? I do know bark off a hickory tree wouldn't burn at all.

Ricer2231

I got one coming my way as we speak. It is being mailed out today. Figure I should have it by the first to the middle of next week. I have a lot of seasoned firewood and I am thinking about just shaving oak from a piece of seasoned red oak or white oak for chips/shavings. This would work wouldn't it?