Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers Welcome: Official Scent Smoker Thread

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I can't tell a difference between my old one with a pipe and the new one. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kinda wish mine had a pipe, and when I opened the box there was a square piece of metal one inch by one inch with the edges bent down laying at the bottom of the box and I don't know what it goes to. I had to hang a stand and go to work and didn't have time to investigate.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The square piece holds the bellows together during shipping. Squeeze the bellows together and you will see that metal piece fits right on top. It must have been shaken loose in transit...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What? Really? I had no idea. My bad
Yes. Half the time the pipe becomes an issue. The thing performs no real function, but when they would become loose and turn sideways, they will actually restrict air flow. Restricted air flow may be a good thing for those that like to over-work the bellows. :). POOF!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, no pipe is needed. When I bought my smoker last season, I bought it from someone on amazon. They later emailed me asking me to do a review with the promise of recieving another smoker. I had mentioned in my review on how I'm using it for deer hunting & scent elimination. They replied afterwards that they had never heard of that & were impessed. So I have TOO. Sorry guys... I kinda feel like a traitor.....lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I could see where the pipe might get clogged with soot and I don't want a bomb in my hand, I'm good without the pipe! I can't wait to have deer downwind now! Do you guys hunt stands that would normally not be hunted because of the wind while smoked up? Does it even matter which way the wind is blowing anymore? Cause pretty much all my spots are 500-800 yards from a house and I guarantee these deer have smelled smoke before so I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just cut a hole in my plastic tote and smoked my clothes up! It don't take much to get the smoke rollin!

Good deal!!!

Don't forget to smoke your bow,fanny pack and yourself and your hair when you head out. Some of us even smoke the inside of our truck cabs. I haven't yet but I'll be smoking my truck seats and seat belts and shoulder strap.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I could see where the pipe might get clogged with soot and I don't want a bomb in my hand, I'm good without the pipe! I can't wait to have deer downwind now! Do you guys hunt stands that would normally not be hunted because of the wind while smoked up? Does it even matter which way the wind is blowing anymore? Cause pretty much all my spots are 500-800 yards from a house and I guarantee these deer have smelled smoke before so I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

I still try to hunt the wind. Old habits die hard, but you will see deer come from directions you wouldn't expect.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. Like Brock, I still make an attempt to hunt the wind. However I don't let the wind dictate where I hunt 100% of the time either. I like to hunt creek bottoms and here in hill country, that means swirling winds. The smoker has made a huge improvement to the quality of my sits in areas where the wind swirls. I try to be smart about where I sit, but trust the smoker to cover my ass if something goes wrong. Literally...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I don't make an attempt to hunt the wind because I don't have very many options. The SS saves my ass every time.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I can relate to Mike, only having 3 or 4 pieces of ground that I hunt and limited amount of time, If I feel that a place is going to be good I hunt it! But I think we've all had deer come from directions that we had no intentions of them coming from, that is when the SS really shines!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I don't make an attempt to hunt the wind because I don't have very many options. The SS saves my ass every time.

I am right there with you brother! One property I hunt is only 200 yds. wide but is a total of 12 acres. I swear every time I hunt it I have a wind from all four directions.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good deal!!!

Don't forget to smoke your bow,fanny pack and yourself and your hair when you head out. Some of us even smoke the inside of our truck cabs. I haven't yet but I'll be smoking my truck seats and seat belts and shoulder strap.

I'll probably bake out the inside of my blazer with hickory and roll down the road with the windows cracked lookin like cheech and chongrotflmao

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Did that once, my hunting spot was about 4-5 miles down the road. Got the smoker rolling and decided I should get to the hunting spot and finish smoking up. Put the smoker in the back of the work truck thinking it wouldn't be that bad. YEA RIGHT!!!!!! I had the window rolled down with my head hanging out like I was a dog, and I know there was a plume of smoke following the van. I can only imagine what the other people thought that I drove by. :smiley_crocodile:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
When them chips get going the smoke just rolls out, I was surprised that I didn't have to work the bellow but just a couple times.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm hoping he took a better picture today, but a fella somewhere in the world killed a 400# bear last night. This is the only picture I've seen of it, posted on another forum.... Can't wait to see more "SS kill" photos this fall!

Attachments

• bear SS.jpg
    bear SS.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 199

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When them chips get going the smoke just rolls out, I was surprised that I didn't have to work the bellow but just a couple times.

The temptation is to over work the bellows. Don't fall to that temptation, it's a good way to spook yourself or whomever you are "smoking up". :)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm hoping he took a better picture today, but a fella somewhere in the world killed a 400# bear last night. This is the only picture I've seen of it, posted on another forum.... Can't wait to see more "SS kill" photos this fall!

Nice bear right there.

Now that seasons are starting I can't wait to see some pics start flowing in.