Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers Welcome: Official Scent Smoker Thread

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The latest shipment has finally arrived! For those of you that have "backordered", they will be shipping out tomorrow. You should receive them before the end of the week. Thanks for your patience!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The latest shipment has finally arrived! For those of you that have "backordered", they will be shipping out tomorrow. You should receive them before the end of the week. Thanks for your patience!

Just placed my order for 2, might as well see what all this is about.....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
How you hunt is about to change.

Care to elaborate? I bought one for my BIL who bowhunts and I have never bowhunted. I do gun and muzzleload, some sitting, some still hunting, proabably about 50% with the other 50% being drives/pushes. How will it change for me?

(not being a smart@$$ just honestly wondering)

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Care to elaborate? I bought one for my BIL who bowhunts and I have never bowhunted. I do gun and muzzleload, some sitting, some still hunting, proabably about 50% with the other 50% being drives/pushes. How will it change for me?

Your scent won't be a problem as in years past. I think that's what he meant. Good luck and smoke it up! Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I am going to stock up on wood chips this weekend, cut a hole in my plastic tote and smoke the chit out of my clothes! I'll probably smoke my buddies clothes for him TOO but he's going to have to get his own real quick!

Huckleberry Finn

Sunday night before this past gun season, I was smoking my clothes as a part of my ritual getting all my stuff ready for the morning and my dad came out the garage and laughed at me. "Why would you bother with that when you're going to wear orange and carry a gun?" Well...I guess I did just because that's what I'm used to doing. The buck I shot on Monday morning stood downwind at 40 yards for a few minutes. If they can wind you at 20, I'm sure there is something at 40. I also smoked up the morning of the extra gun season and had 5 deer within 25 yards - I was sitting in a folding chair on the ground. Again, no spooking.

My personal opinion is that part of the smoke equation is a curiosity thing. My dad did admit that when he hunted deer in PA that when on a bear hunt, the old guys would build a fire and see deer coming in to figure out what was going on.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not the tell-all on using the smoke during gun season, but it certainly hasn't hurt me. I've had some close encounters with deer during gun season when they are awfully skiddish and smelling like smoke I was not. I have a uniform smell going into the woods. Whether or not I have an orange vest on, I haven't had a deer wind me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Got my scent smoker today,thanks Brock! Question, is there supposed to be a small pipe the goes from the bellow to the canister at the bottom? There's just two open holes, does that work good enough?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Got my scent smoker today,thanks Brock! Question, is there supposed to be a small pipe the goes from the bellow to the canister at the bottom? There's just two open holes, does that work good enough?

I can't tell a difference between my old one with a pipe and the new one. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Ask your BIL after he's used it. He'll have a deer walk down wind that first time and he'll cringe knowing what's coming. After a few minutes he'll have to fight off laughter from how well it works. I kid you not. I haven't heard the sound of a deer blowing in 4 years unless I bumped them walking in or out. I still question my sanity sometimes knowing damn well I don't belong in a certain stand on a day with bad wind. But it always works out. It's comical how it just fools the snot out of them. Even when gun hunting I still use it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd like to make one thing clear to those who don't know. Brock doesn't pay us to say nice things about the Smoker. We advertise for him because we believe wholeheartedly that the Scent Smoker is vital to our success each fall. This is a mutually beneficial partnership...