Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers Welcome: Official Scent Smoker Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you want to know why I smoke up, you should have seen what just went down in my backyard. I started a big old fire at 5. There's still flames leaping around on it right now. We ordered pizza and when I went out the back door to meet the delivery guy, 6 deer took off from the feeder with 4 of them stopping close enough to the fire to feel the heat. I could smell the smoke at the house 100 yards away. They all had to walk through the smoke to get to the feeder. More proof it's a smell that doesn't phase them.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got busted this morning after being smoking up. I'm not blaming the smoke, but whatever they winded they didn't like and the smoke didn't cover it. It simply could have been my breath.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Got a little aggressive with the wind this evening. Had a SSW wind and it was blowing just off to the side of the gas line I was on. Had 4 does come out at 6:45, the two older ones caught a little hickory, they just stuck their heads up, smelled it, and continued on down the line right by me at 5 yards.

tpierce

I just bought one of the smokers. I'll be washing my warm weather stuff tonight and smoking it tomorrow for my WE hunt. Can't to try it. All the times I camped on hunts, we couldn't avoid the campfire smoke. Most of us wore what we hunted in around camp. I will say it didn't seem to matter to the deer that we were all smoked from the fires all week.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hunted a SW wind last night and was covered up in deer within 30-40 yards to the north of me.... They were skittish due to going with the wind but never acted like they were smelling anything out of the norm....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
thanks. I'll try to track him down.

I'll be going to the Stroud's gathering, if Brock has one you can work out the deal and if he can get it to the gathering I can drop it off on my way back from down there.... That'll save on the shipping if you want... The gathering is the weekend of the 21st....