Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers Welcome: Official Scent Smoker Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It comes up enough that it earns its own thread IMO, so here it is. The official Scent Smoker thread here on TOO. I've dug up some good reviews and the like for people to read. You can also click here to purchase a smoker or watch this YouTube clip to learn more about it from our very own deerjunkie and rgecko23.

[video=youtube;9TKn2A2TgMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKn2A2TgMY[/video]

The following reviews are from satisfied The Ohio Outdoors members and loyal Scent Smoker users...

Jackalope: Co-Owner The Ohio Outdoors said:
From Scent Smoker Site:Probably one of the biggest skeptics of the Scent Smoker there ever was is Joe Wilson. Joe bought a Scent Smoker to test during the 2007 season. Originally he purchased the Smoker to "Put it to the test". Not convinced by the smoker and tired of the constant chatter on Ohio hunting forums he set about to put this myth to bed.. And he knew the perfect place. He hunted a hollow in Vinton County Ohio that always had plenty of deer but the only consistency with the wind was it swirled.. Despite his efforts with commonly accepted scent control products he would always get busted hunting this setup. He smoked up his clothes, gear, and self then snuck in for a hunt ready to disprove the smoker and put that topic to bed.. Joe had 15 deer all around him for 20 minutes and walked out dumbfounded after filling his tag on a nice doe.. Since that day Joe has been know to say time and time again on the same forums. "I'd rather leave my camo at home before I left my smoker" In 2011 Joe connected on this dandy Ohio buck that gross scored 164 3/8. Since that first doe Joe has became one of the outspoken supporters of Scent Smoker there is.. Matter of fact. I believe in it so much I agreed to build this site for Brock. You guessed it. That's me, the Webmaster.

Jesse: Co-Owner The Ohio Outdoors said:
Like many of the guys on this site, I was a huge skeptic when I was first introduced to the Scent Smoker. At the time, I was a Scent Blocker fanboy and scoffed at anything outside of that narrow minded point of view. The idea of making myself “stink” was hard to grasp, but after hearing enough respected deer hunters speak of its effectiveness, I had to see what all the hype was about. Using a buddy’s smoker, I did my best to make myself smell like bonfire and hit the woods. The plan was to hunt a stand overlooking a small food plot in an oak flat with the complete wrong wind. That evening I sat in amazement as 2 mature does with fawns fed in the plot for over 8 minutes before moving off, all the while inside 40 yards. The lead doe could smell something, but it was never enough to alarm her; something that has become a trend for me over the years.

I've been fortunate enough to kill two 6.5 year old bucks with a bow thanks in part to the Scent Smoker. One was killed at 32 steps downwind in stiff breeze. He stood at eye level for over a minute trying to smell me before flicking is tail and taking the last 2 steps I needed to slip one through him. He never knew what hit him. The other pictured below was killed at 8 steps downwind standing on the trail I walked in on. Again, he never had a clue.

There is no doubt in my mind that using the smoker is the single most effective tool, tactic, approach, etc. that I have in my arsenal. No ifs, ands or buts about it… It works!

I was a skeptic for a few years before I finally decided to give it a shot. My routine is similar to a lot of bowhunters, in that my clothes, undergarments, packs, harness, etc. are washed regularly in scent free detergent. They're all kept inside of plastic totes. Boot are as well. Everything I take into the woods I try to be as diligent as possible not to contaminate with household smells (pets, anything fragrant, garage odors like gas, etc). I shower before every hunt and try to use scent free soaps & deodorants throughout most of the bowhunting season even when I'm not hunting so that residual odors from other soaps aren't present.

I don't wear any hunting clothes while I drive to the places I hunt. Everything remains sealed in their containers until I get to the spot I'm hunting. Then I change clothes, outside, no matter if it's 70 degrees, or 0 degrees, 4:00 AM in the morning or 2:00 PM in the afternoon. my hunting clothes don't see the inside of my truck (even though I wipe it down with scent free wipes, and wash my seat covers in scent free detergent). As I'm getting ready I grab a handful of oak chips, toss them in the smoker, and fire it up with a torch. It's ready to go in minutes and I smoke myself, my layers as they're getting put on, and my gear. Put out the smoker, and hunt.

It's just a part of my routine that I allow time for, just like a lot of folks spray down. I sparyed down for years too, and was skeptical about using a smoker, but I can tell you first hand that it flat out works. I've had deer that ended up down wind of me, smelled the smoke, then just relaxed and went about their business. This has happened enough times in the field that I'll have a tough time about taking this out of my routine. You're never, ever, ever going to completely fool a deer's nose unless the wind is in your favor. That's it, but the smoke smell kills odor causing bacteria, prevents new odors from forming, and masks the human scent that you can never, ever, ever completely eliminate. No matter how often you try to hunt the perfect wind, there will be times when it changes direction, swirls, or shifts from what the forecast said. I always try to put every variable I can in my favor, and this is just another one of those things that can help make a difference.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
More testimonials…

So I managed to get off work today with enough time to hit the woods for a couple hours. I had to go in from the far side due to the westerly winds. By the time I got to my stand it was already pushing 6:30 so instead of climbing up, just to climb back down in an hour, I opted to do a little ground and pound.
i decided to take a route that would circle me south of the main part of the woods and bring me out along a fence line that seperates the corn field on the property I hunt from the neighboring bean field to the south. I arrived at the bean field around 7:10

So here I am, to my right is a bean field, to my left is a brushy fence line and then a corn field. I have permission on the corn field side but not the bean side. Walking the edge of the bean field would eventually bring me to a cut through that will get me back to the property I can hunt at the edge of a large pasture that I have seen deer in the previous evenings. My plan was to slip up on the south side of the hedge to where i can see into the pasture. If there was any deer out there I would see what i could do to get close enough to get a shot.

As I was walking I noticed movement to my left. A good buck just jumped ito the woods on the other side of the beans about 100 yards from me. H was just inside the trees watching me walk up the edge of the field. Something must have happened behind him because he suddenly turned and looked back the other way. I took the opportunity to drop to my knees, and crawl backwards to the brush so I could get my binocs out and get a better look at him.

To my amazement he turned back towards me and started to walk out! He was walking towards and to the left of me at an angle. It became clear he was heading toward the same cut through I was planning on using.

when he got to the point where he was straight down wind of me he stopped...

Last night, I took some time and smoked up all my hunting clothes and put them into plastic bins. By the time I got to my spot, i was sweaty and dirty from work, so I sprayed down with scent killer and put my hunting clothes on over my work clothes. All I could smell was the smoke, but in the back of my mind I was still aware of the fact that beneath the smoky clothes, I stunk like sweat and a construction site.

.... He stopped and sniffed the air. Did that funky lip curl thing a couple times, and kept coming. He was a bit more cautious, he knew something was there but it was like he just couldnt figure out what or where it was.

At one point, he was 30 yards from me, down wind. Every time he put his head down I saw a chance to draw my bow, but I didnt have permission to shoot him, i was also aware that if I did shoot, the direction he was heading would take him into a standing cornfield, and a wet one at that. I'm not exactly experienced at blood trailing, and trying to find a deer in a cornfield in the rain didnt sound appealing. I had to wait till he got past me, went through the cut through, turned right and went into the pasture, and then sneak in behind and hopefully get a chance to take a shot.

Unfortunately, He just got that feeling I guess and ended up turning and going back out into the beans. he didnt run, but its like he knew something was wrong.

I did get the chance to get my phone out and snap a pic.

At this point he was about fourty yards straight down wind. He made it another 10 before he decided to back off.

Scent Smoker, I'm sold.

I too can attest to the Scent Smoker. For several years, I too was one of the skeptics. This will be my third season now using the Smoker and I honestly believe it's one of the best pieces of equipment in my arsenal. Like Gern mentioned, I also never really had a problem with getting winded before using the SS. I was always conscious about staying scent-free and "playing the wind"... I still do, most of the time... But the SS gives you more room for error, IMO. These days, if I can't find the absolute perfect tree for the wind, I'll hunt it anyway because I know the SS has my back. Just in the last two seasons, I've had quite a few deer directly downwind that never had a clue I was there.

The first season I used the SS, all the other guys in my deer camp chastized the hell out of me. I wasn't even allowed to keep my hunting gear inside next to theirs. But guess who saw the most deer that week?... many of which were straight downwind in the swirling hills of SE Ohio... Yep, me. My dad was one of the biggest skeptics of the bunch, now guess who smokes up his clothes before the season starts... Yep, dad does.

I got my uncle into using it last year also, and he is from the old school of deer hunting. Whenever I fired it up last year he was right there smoking his clothes with it too after I described the results I had. Let me also say that I never really had much problem before with getting busted by deer, but it did happen on occasion. The main reason I tried it last year was because I hunted hilly country for the first time and there are swirling winds in those hills. Its not a gimmick like most things out there, and it's not an excuse to be lazy with other important aspects of hunting, but for the little bit of money and time invested in one it is well worth it.

I smoked up before smoking up was cool. Used to use the wood burner to smoke up. Hell the Indians did it and it worked for them.

well guys i got mine the other night, and decided to check how it works i smoked up then went to check a couple cams dad rode with me, we got up to one of the cams i took the card out and i hear my dad say look right there i look up and there was a doe 50 yards away walking towards us dad knelt down right behind me and we watched her walk up to about 30 yards then she seen us but never spooked she walked down wind a little ways did the head bob for a couple minutes and walked off. i turned to dad and said the smoker must work, he said sure looks like it to me. so my first time out with it and already had good results.

Thought I'd share a story from my buddy this week. He was hunting a buck that had been entering an alfalfa field from 3 different trails. The thing was there were other trails along the edge of the field that the other deer were using as well. Since there are no trees big enough to hang a stand he decided to smoke up and sit on the ground. Well, sure enough he had deer behind him and downwind. The never spooked, however they did become curious as to what the source of the smoke smell was. Once the does worked their way up to him at less than 20 yards one picked him off while he was moving to get a better look at them. They only blew for a moment, turned and bounded out into the field and soon were out there eating. Deer continued to enter the field from the multiple trails and soon there was the big buck he was after. Only, he cam out on the third trail, much too far for him to shoot. Lesson learned, if you are going to sit on the ground make sure you are concealed better than sitting up against a couple small saplings. The smoke worked but without good camouflage and concealment the deer's curiosity brought it much too close and soon they knew something just wasn't right.

Jon could be the poster child for the SS.

Of my boy's, he is the most disciplined. Jon starts to prepare for each hunt 1/2 sooner than anyone in the family and meticulously smokes up each article of clothing and all his equipment before every trip to the woods.

My boys named this buck “Camphouse Carl.”

Thanks again Brock!

I took mine to the blind with the kids this weekend. We had deer all over us. Three people in one blind on the ground and at one point had double digit numbers of deer around us. No scent issues at all. The cool thing was as the SS was still smoking it gave me the wind direction, not that it really seemed to matter. The downwind deer never batted an eye.

Anyone NOT using the scent smoker @ this point is @ a serious disadvantage when it comes too their hunting game.... The buck I harvested was in a location the the wind is not good, it swirls and can't get a consistant breeze in a direction that doesn't go too any deer around me... If I weren't using the scent smoker I'd have been busted on so many occasions I would have blown every deer out of that bottom.... My buddy who put me onto that spot never hung a stand there due too that problem, and after seeing what I accomplished with the scent smoker being used and having deer all around me the whole time I hunted that spot he's a believer.... Now not only does he do the ritual of waiting on a train too slip in and out of the stand he makes sure he visits his wood burner too smoke up as well and is amazed at the deer he gets around him both up and down wind.......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Some general Scent Smoker FAQs

From Scent Smoker CEO Brock Ratcliff on starting the smoker...

Lay it over on it's bellows. Stick a propane torch in for a minute or so. Once the chips are burning, shut the lid. Work the bellows enough to keep it smoking but not enough to blow flames out of the smoker. No paper needed. Pretty easy after you've done it a time or two.

How do you smoke up?

Agreed... use totes to transport your clothes and change when you get out of the truck. I even cut a small hole in my tote and I let the smoke blow into that hole and then put tape over the hole to keep the smoke in there. I always do this the night before a morning hunt. When I get to my spot, I open up the tote and the smoke floats out. It's a beautiful thing and everything is perfectly "smoked up".

I always smoke my stuff prior to entering my hunting spot, but I give them a good smoking inside the blind too. Works really well. I can put ALL of my stuff in there at one time.

Metal cabinets...clean, sturdy, vented, multiple layouts available, and don't have to worry about them catching fire or melting with the smoker in the bottom. Keep an eye on Craigslist, auctions, etc. I like having them on wheeled bases to move around to clean.

I use this Rubbermaid closet for my “pre-smoking”. Wash everything, hang it in here and smoke it to the gills with the doors shut. It has a great cure to it now!!!

I use a couple of these Ziplocs and a couple rubbermaid totes. The bags are easy to fill with smoke, and can be stored just about anywhere. They work really well. That being said, if I were in a more permanent situation, I'd probably build a permanent storage locker with smoke vent as Greg suggested.

Don't forget to smoke the inside of your truck. Or your dog...smoke EVERYTHING!!!

Another little tip...

When you're finished smoking up, pop the lid open and leave it open when you head out. This does a couple things... 1) It prevents the lid from getting stuck shut from the creosote (sp?) buildup, and 2) it helps the chips burn down easier so you have less ash buildup in the smoker.

What about my bare skin?

You should try to cover yourself, bare skin included, with a good smoking. If you don't want to stand in the smoke to get your hands, hair and face in it then I recommend smoking up a towel (washed in scent free detergent) and wiping your exposed parts down well. Yes, the smoke can be washed out but it may take a couple tries to get it done completely. You can do what I did years ago, put all the carbon clothing aside and smoke just regular camo. I would venture to guess by the end of the season you will not worry about the carbon and smoke that stuff too like I did.

What is the cost and should I buy a cheap one from eBay?

The biggest pro about the scent smoker, IMO, that hasn't been mentioned is that it's dirt cheap. I think mine was $35 two years ago? How quick can you spend $35 on hunting gear - let alone on Scent Lok, sprays, and that crap?! And $35 that works until you back over it with your truck...

I bought a knock-off while there were none available. BUY THE ORIGINAL SCENTSMOKER. So far I have had to:

Weld lid handle again
Replace lid handle with Eye bolt
Reattach heat shield
Liquid metal the nozzle back on

Ugh...

On how to avoid running it over with a truck like some many of us have!

I can hang mine from the hitch with the curved piece of metal that fits around the smoker. I will take a pic and show you what I am talking about and get it posted up.

Answers to the question about "scent control" and "smelling like smoke"...

There are no guarantees in deer hunting, but you already know that. Smoke up all you want, but I would still suggest taking all the steps you can prior. I am anal about my clothes. They are washed, dried, stored in totes, AND smoked up. Clean clothes do hold the smoke better. I also still shower up prior to each hunt. Doesn't mean the deer might not smell my breath or bug out for no reason, but I can tell you I have had more deer downwind of me since buying my smoker than before smoking up. They are sometimes curious, but not "spooky" usually. Movement is still going to get you busted. hahah

What he said. I'm every bit as anal with my scent control, I just cover what I miss with a familiar smell. This place is full of former skeptics, myself included. My honest opinion is using the smoker has been the single best change I have made in my hunting since I started. It has been a total game changer for me and I won't hunt without it...

Correct. I was one of the biggest skeptics and only bought one to "disprove it". Been using one for 4-5 seasons now and never go in the woods without smoking up. It not only works man, it will floor you how well it works. You'll giggle like a schoolgirl the first time you see that deer cut downwind of you, throw it's head in the air and get a nose full of smoke, then go back about his business without a care in the world. They just disregard it and go about what they were doing. It's simple and only takes a couple minutes once you get out of the truck.

Regarding what wood to use in the smoker…

Any type of hardwood works, apple, cherry, oak, hickory etc. Nothing soft like pine or poplar. That's because wood smoke has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. These properties are found in higher concentrations in hardwood smoke. It not only smell like smoke. But it also kills bacteria and microbes that cause odor.

What about it being a “foreign” odor?

It make sense. People around where I hunt burn wood all year, whether its clean up, or for warmth or whatever. Deer smell that smoke all the time, its not new or alarming.

What is the little silver clip for that comes with it?

The clip helps with storage, and also to keep the bellow closed. It's leather and you will find that as you move it around, it can be punctured, burned, etc.

Random benefits of the Scent Smoker…

Warm smoke on a cold morning always feels better than cold wet spray from a bottle!

It also has the added benefits of not spraying cold scent killers on yourself when its cold out. You get to be around a nice warm smoker.

I smoked up in the garage last night before checking cams and when I came home, the whole downstairs smelled like sweet, sweet hickory smoke! Love it!!! :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sad part about the whole scent smoker is no ones trying too keep it a secret.... But most people you talk too have no clue about it.... It's one of the most reasonable products they'll ever buy and they always sound skeptical..... Boggles the mind.... Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Every Scent Smoker that has ever been sold has been by word of mouth...every one. If it didn't work as well as it does, I'd still have the first 1000 sitting in my garage!

I'll always appreciate the fact everyone has be willing to tell their fellow hunters about it...even though we sometimes get strange looks. :)

Gordo

Athens County
Every Scent Smoker that has ever been sold has been by word of mouth...every one. If it didn't work as well as it does, I'd still have the first 1000 sitting in my garage!

I'll always appreciate the fact everyone has be willing to tell their fellow hunters about it...even though we sometimes get strange looks. :)

Mark me down for 1000!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This is a great ideal! I'm definitively use the same box to use it this year. Last year I used a vacum seal bag with was great, but I had issues with the smoker melting the bags. This would work great, but I'll need to make a plug for it.

IMG_0706.jpg