Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long bow project

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
No one told me that I had to un-string this thing. I've left it strung for 2 months now (because I shoot it everyday) and after un-stringing it today, it has curved limbs. I lost 1/2" of brace height. Did I ruin it? Stupid noob.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
No one told me that I had to un-string this thing. I've left it strung for 2 months now (because I shoot it everyday) and after un-stringing it today, it has curved limbs. I lost 1/2" of brace height. Did I ruin it? Stupid noob.

Aw shit, I hope it's not ruined, can't help ya.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Is this common with Hickory bows? Does it matter?

It is common when strung for long periods of time with hickory. It does not recover like other woods.
I know you think it sucks but this will not be your last longbow and you have learned a ton.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks Milo.

Sorry bud but do not fear you CAN make another. Let it sit for a week and see what happens to it. You should shop around binghams bow building supply shop and see what is out there. Pretty neat and something to consider.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Not interested in building one yet.
Can you suggest a production or custom replacement in the $250 or less range?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Not interested in building one yet.
Can you suggest a production or custom replacement in the $250 or less range?

I have a 50 pound recurve you could use this year if you need. Its a recurve and not a long bow..if you keep an eye out on tradgang one may show up pretty cheap.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Do we know what was lost here? Can the same forces not be put back on the bow in the opposite direction? Thinking a steam box here.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have the bow loosely strung up backwards with weight on the paracord string I made. Milo told me the damage is already done to the fibers. I don't have a lot into this bow and it will look nice on the wall.