Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long bow project

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Well, I went ahead and ordered an unfinished longbow. I have absolutely no desire to pick up a compound bow, ever. I'll kill deer with my crossbow and then have fun with this thing. It's 71" long and 41# and will accommodate my long draw length. If I don't like it, I'll hang it on my wall! I'll post my progress.
P1010709.JPGP1010710.JPG

good luck with your project. ill never build another 70 inch bow again. they are TOO long to fit in the cab of my truck so it rides in the bed. which is bad because know matter how many coats of oil you put on it hickory will absorbe moisture and the bow will lose its tiller. so I hope you have a vehicle that your bow will fit inside. I have a couple threads on here about finishing flat bows that others have found somewhat useful.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
good luck with your project. ill never build another 70 inch bow again. they are TOO long to fit in the cab of my truck so it rides in the bed. which is bad because know matter how many coats of oil you put on it hickory will absorbe moisture and the bow will lose its tiller. so I hope you have a vehicle that your bow will fit inside. I have a couple threads on here about finishing flat bows that others have found somewhat useful.

I have a minivan baby! I would love to read those thread if you could help me find them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just seems too expensive and I see the problems people have with keeping them tuned and such. I like my crossbow.

Truthfully most bows (with quality strings) stay pretty well in-tune. Well enough to get the job done anyway. The problem is there are OCD fuggers like me out there who simply can't stop tinkering with them, no matter how well they're tuned. lmao

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this, Mike. I've always wanted a longbow or a recurve to mess around with.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Truthfully most bows (with quality strings) stay pretty well in-tune. Well enough to get the job done anyway. The problem is there are OCD fuggers like me out there who simply can't stop tinkering with them, no matter how well they're tuned. lmao

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this, Mike. I've always wanted a longbow or a recurve to mess around with.

Yep. Compounds can be cheap and low maintenance. Just depends on the dudes buying/building/tuning them. This place just happens to be loaded with freaks! lmao

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If it is any consolation Mike, Last year was the first time my bow has had a new string and I had used it for 8 years prior. Milo told me to hold on to it for a back up if anything had happened to the new strings they where still good enough to put back on.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Went and picked up a half dozen arrows today. It took me several groups to figure it out. This pic is @ 20 yards. Not bad for a total noob. I'm really going to like this. Zero pain on the draw!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374363415549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374363415549.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 227

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on entering the land of back too the basics..... I look forward too all your posts on your progress.... I started out as a kid with an old stick bow graduated too a recurve then went all modern lol... I blame my older brother lol