Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crops

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If this weather pattern doesn't change soon crops are going to start going down hill fast around here. Sure glad I don't have any wheat, almost none has been cut. Probably be a lot less double crop beans this year. Most corn looks OK but beans are spotty. Lots of beans need sprayed but its too muddy.

I have seen the local crop duster more this year than ever.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If this weather pattern doesn't change soon crops are going to start going down hill fast around here. Sure glad I don't have any wheat, almost none has been cut. Probably be a lot less double crop beans this year. Most corn looks OK but beans are spotty. Lots of beans need sprayed but its too muddy.

Why does nobody around here have a crop duster? From what I've seen the past few years they could make a killing spraying fields that are too wet in the spring. I bet even in dry conditions the gain from not running over beans would offset the price of hiring a crop duster.

Edit: just saw beans post. I've never seen one spraying in Ohio.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Why does nobody around here have a crop duster? From what I've seen the past few years they could make a killing spraying fields that are too wet in the spring. I bet even in dry conditions the gain from not running over beans would offset the price of hiring a crop duster.

The equipment is very expensive, insurance is astronomical and it's seasonal. Most of the time ground application equipment works as good or better.

Here's a list of applicators. http://www.ohioagriculture4u.com/ohio_crop_dusters.htm

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The equipment is very expensive, insurance is astronomical and it's seasonal. Most of the time ground application equipment works as good or better.

Here's a list of applicators. http://www.ohioagriculture4u.com/ohio_crop_dusters.htm

Makes me wonder how they do it back home in Ms. There are crop dusters galore to defoliate the cotton before it can be picked. Seems like everyone owns one as part of their standard equipment. Beans and cotton are about the same height and cotton is always sprayed via plane.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
we have one guy around here that has a plane its cool to watch him. he puts that plane in places you wouldnt think he could get back up over the trees but some how he does. with the rain we got last night i had about 6 inchs of water running down my drive way when i went to work have never seen it like that before. the corn is easily 8 ft but the beans seem to be drowning. need a couple weeks of nice sunny weather and things will really take off.

Huckleberry Finn

Anyways on crops...

USDA said on 6/24 that Ohio's corn had 82% in good to excellent and 78% of beans in the same category.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
There is one that comes into champaign county every year. I think he's from around Waldo. He'll stay in this area for about two weeks. Heritage keeps two tank trucks at the airport all day so he can fill up...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
There is one that comes into champaign county every year. I think he's from around Waldo. He'll stay in this area for about two weeks. Heritage keeps two tank trucks at the airport all day so he can fill up...

Heritage is the company I work for. I've been to Urbana facility to get feed a couple times. Definitely a nice setup down there

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

The guy in the chopper just lands it by the road and trucks with fuel or spray drive right up to him. Pretty neat operation...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I heard today the wheat harvested Monday around Coshocton and New Philly had started to sprout in the head already. Big dockage when that happens.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Worked another long day up North. On the drive home I saw about $100k worth of corn blown over...completely on the ground. Get home and all my plants are down. Musta had some REALLY big wind while I was gone.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Worked another long day up North. On the drive home I saw about $100k worth of corn blown over...completely on the ground. Get home and all my plants are down. Musta had some REALLY big wind while I was gone.

Heard a bunch of corn was down between canton and New Philly

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I heard today the wheat harvested Monday around Coshocton and New Philly had started to sprout in the head already. Big dockage when that happens.

We got in 1 load of about 1,000 bu on Monday that they took down Sunday before it had rained. The moisture was 17.2, it had sprout damage but I cant remember how much, and the Vom wasnt bad yet. I cant imagine it's gonna be better whenever they do get it off (monday Im guessing)