Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crops

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm blown away at how many corn fields I've seen that are tasseled out already! Drove by some beans this morning that were easily above my waist. I wonder how early maturation of crops will impact the deer and hunting?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm blown away at how many corn fields I've seen that are tasseled out already! Drove by some beans this morning that were easily above my waist. I wonder how early maturation of crops will impact the deer and hunting?

Sucked last year when the crops harvested up here early.

Fields up here are still so soaked the guys can't get in to even take down the winter wheat yet. All this rain if it continues up here will keep the crops on a little longer as they will need to dry out before the farmers will pick them to keep cost of drying down. Should make for an interesting watch and see this year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well if the beans start turning at or before season. You can count them out.... We have some corn up here that's over my head already.... We'll see if it comes down any earlier.... Which I doubt it will....

Luckily or unlucky if you have it I don't have any large corn fields close by so we'll see what that brings us.....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Should be interesting to see the mast crops this year make a big impact as well. Seen a bunch of apples on the trees while driving around. Have not been in the woods to check on any of the oaks but all this rain should be good for that so, crop fields might not be as big a factor as we think this year ;)

It looks like it might turn dry ...err enough to take the wheat off

But some of the corn is over head high already , so they will be off early
Other corn feilds are just knee high , so they will be late

Most beans are not close to knee high
But the weather this summer will rule when the beans will come off

As for corn LOL

My brother has 5 acers that will be late
He had some non Round Up Ready seed left over from last year
In a BO BO screw up he planted the end rows of a feild with that seed

Well the rest of the feild was Round Up Ready seed and he sprayed the whole feild with Round Up

Not good , those end rows were killed
So he quick went in and replanted

As for the rain
I have been getting WAY TO MUCH
If it dosn't let up some
My garden and the crops will all die

John

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
A lot of our farmers are thrilled with their corn and beans, except what's on low ground under water. Most of them believe if we end up with normal to a bit of dryer weather, then it'll speed things up by a couple weeks. In my book, that means most of our guys would be wrapping up everything within the first week or 2 of November. That would be terrific for me. 3 years ago in fall of 2010, everything came into the elevator dry and we had all our bins full and a 230,000 bu. corn pile on the ground and covered by the first Friday in November. I remember because the boss let me take that day off for the Pheasant and Rabbit opener. It's been a wet,late harvest every year since.

As far as hunting that year, I took my 160" 12 pt on the 2nd evening of season. The rest of that year picked beans were tits in my area until it got cold, then they focused on picked corn. And if by chance you had a standing corn field nearby, then they were using that for everything (cover, food)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i thought this thread was about a japanese guy looking for a police officer:smiley_blackeye:

epe

Lancaster
Winter wheat off here, just passed corn in tassle that bumps up to a field we waterfowl hunt . Will be great for waterfowl If it comes off early..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

I'm thinking the hunting will be good this fall, but maybe it's more like hoping. lol. The beans behind the house are easily waist high, and I have watched the corn down the road grow over two feet in two weeks. My parents apple trees are producing well this year too. Haven't been out to check out the acorn crop, but wouldn't be surprised if it was booming as well. According to weather.com, we've had 8.5" of rain here since June 1st. Pretty good year for the crops, hopefully it equates to a great fall!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm thinking the hunting will be good this fall, but maybe it's more like hoping. lol. The beans behind the house are easily waist high, and I have watched the corn down the road grow over two feet in two weeks. My parents apple trees are producing well this year too. Haven't been out to check out the acorn crop, but wouldn't be surprised if it was booming as well. According to weather.com, we've had 8.5" of rain here since June 1st. Pretty good year for the crops, hopefully it equates to a great fall!

We recorded 7" of rain last month and 1" already this month so, we are right there with you guys. Matter of fact it has rained here already once today and getting ready to get hit again in about 20min or less. Calling for more rain until Thursday or Friday. Ground is so wet that the smallest amount of rain and it starts to flood around here these days.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It's real spotty here. some of the fields look good, others not so much. they all have bare spots in them from water standing in them for so long.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
The biggest thing is the corn will dry down faster which should come down a little faster but if we haft too mud it out we would rather wait till freeze up. The ruts we will pay for, for years. Our corn has tassled out for the most part, and been are blooming so it should be a early harvest which should move more deer around rut time. But that's up too mother nature.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not knowledgeable enough to predict what it means in regards to harvest times. I do know things are growing well and the wildlife will benefit from the healthy foliage and water. Moisture has influence on antler growth. Wish I remembered which study I read this in. Maybe some study done in Texas? Can't remember.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I am hoping the farmers can get their corn picked before the rut. Too many mature bucks hang up in the standing corn and don't come out till dark! They don't get big, for being stupid.

As for the beans? They look great too! Not as developed as the corn, but with all this rain, it should be a great hunting season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm just happy I have corn this year. The property I hunt is actually 3 properties together totaling about a square mile. It's about 85% crops and small woodlots here and there. All of it was beans last year and the deer sightings were down tremendously. Standing corn doesn't bother me as it provides cover and food but they still come out.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

I think your right greg, seems like its a good start, and rainfall that we havent had in a long time. Stuff is growing huge

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If this weather pattern doesn't change soon crops are going to start going down hill fast around here. Sure glad I don't have any wheat, almost none has been cut. Probably be a lot less double crop beans this year. Most corn looks OK but beans are spotty. Lots of beans need sprayed but its too muddy.