Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer hunting looking up

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally got permission to hunt a little part of the farm behind me. They never let anyone hunt there but it always has trespassers. It's only a 3 ac. hay field but it joins my farm at the rear and it's surrounded on 3 sides by brush. It's a great early morning and late evening site as the deer come out of the brush but never make it to my property before dark. The field ajoins my new food plot.
We have see as many as 11 deer in that field at one time. Going to put a nice tower for the grandkids and me in the corner so can hunt both that field and my new food plot. My food plot is coming along but sad to say the clover doesn't look like it will make it.
Maybe I can get a larger part next year. I promised them a processed deer when season starts.
That's the field the big buck in 2000 came out of that I took with my handgun and won the HHI handgun contest with. I also took a nice buck with a ML coming out of that field couple years ago.
It's looking up for 2013.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went back to the neighbor last night for a visit and got the permission slips signed for me and the family.
She got a shotgun and rifle when her dad passed away and didn't know what they had. A Stevens Model 34 22LR bolt gun. So I brought her a box of 22LR shells.
Plus she got a 12 ga. Franchi auto shotgun. And I brought her a box of #6 shotshells.
They have no idea about guns so asked me if I could come back and safely show them how to shoot them. SURE anytime.
They gave me permission to cut brush in front of my new hunting tower I'm putting up. Also OK'd the putting up a NO Trespassing sign on the driveway leading into the field.
They also asked me to shoot all the coyotes I see. That's no problems.
So it's really looking up for this new property in the future.
I reminded them I would bring them a processed deer ASAP. They really was greatfull for the thought. Now I have to put one on the ground.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Started building my new hunting tower. In the past 10 yrs. we have had 4x4, 4x5 and 5x6 towers. They all over time proved too small. Who ever thought the grandsons would get 6'3"?
This one is 8x8 and floor will be 12 ft. off the ground. Putting in basement storm windows 13x31. There will be 2 windows sideways with one vertical between them on the 2 hunting sides.
I got the floor base, and 2 walls built. Only need to built 2 wall and roof. Then install in 6 sections. Hopefully this weekend.
My back is hurting.