Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good news

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The natural gas pipeline that's going across my farm is at the road laying pipe. By this time tomorrow they should be way South of here. Then hopefully they will clean up and get out of here before deer season.
But they are using my road frontage as a staging area so it might be awhile.

Huckleberry Finn

There is no doubt that the landscape of some good hunting territories is changing due to oil & gas development.

Change doesn't always mean bad. Good timing helps a lot - like in your case. I remember Dale's F@FD Buck last year and there was surveyor's tape in the background.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The heavy equipment movement is my biggest concern. The pipeline construction is only 100 yds. East of my hunting woods.
The landscaping clearing of trees happened 5 yrs. ago when the other pipeline went through. Immediately to my East is open crop land always planted in corn or beans but nothing planted this year for the 1st 300 yds. due to construction. S-E of me is a large 30 ac. hay field that it's going through so no change there.
So my major impact is the equipment and my property being a staging area I get the equipment for 1/2 mile moving here.
In the past there was always a lot of deer movement coming to my woods from the East through a ditch line tree pinch point about 50 yds. wide that connected to my woods. That's been broken because of the pipeline construction 5 yrs. ago and now there is a wide open gap there 200 yds. wide. In the last 5 yrs. I have not seen one deer cross that area and come to my woods.
Then to the S-E there was a tree line running S-N that deer must have followed and would exit and cross over to my woods through the old ditch line trees that was removed to continue going North. That N-S tree line was removed 5 yrs. ago and I have never seen a deer cross over since then. All I see now is that 30 ac. hay field with up to 10-15 deer through out the day. They don't allow hunting.
Things have change a lot in the last 5 yrs. Now there is possible another pipeline in couple yrs.
That's one of the major reasons for me planting the food plot to the West of my woods. The other major reason is at this late date in life I've gotten back into bow hunting and really enjoy the hunting time rather than couple days of gun hunting.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well it looks like I may have jumped the gun on the good news. I now appears they only laid a section of pipe under the road. But the pipe laying machine shouldn't be too far behind.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was working on the pipeline that came up from Southern Ohio about 13 years ago. The deer didn't seem to mind as they stood around the edges at times and watched us. Many fresh tracks were in the loose dirt every morning. Hopefully, it all turns out good for you!

Buckmaster

Portage
I hope they paid you well for the pipeline installation. My lawyer negotiated $ 100 per foot through his 600 acre property. He got paid, though he doesn't need any more money.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hope they paid you well for the pipeline installation. My lawyer negotiated $ 100 per foot through his 600 acre property. He got paid, though he doesn't need any more money.

No wonder they bitched at my proposal. But I do have one of the last building lots left on the road they went across.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I transferred cattle today to a new pasture. The new pasture was waist high grass and I kicked up a spotted fawn. My grandson seen it also. later it dawned on my camera was on the golf cart. It must have been rather young as it ran about 15 ft. and just stood at us and looked at us. My grandson goes "think I can touch it". I told him no way. He took 2 steps towards it and off it ran faster than all get out. Grandson looks at me and goes "you had that right".
Fun time. Good kid as he's like grandpa and doesn't get poison ivy. The family hopes the best for him as they say the poison ivy thing is the meanest keeps it away from me. I think not.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I transferred cattle today to a new pasture. The new pasture was waist high grass and I kicked up a spotted fawn. My grandson seen it also. later it dawned on my camera was on the golf cart. It must have been rather young as it ran about 15 ft. and just stood at us and looked at us. My grandson goes "think I can touch it". He took 2 steps towards it and off it ran faster than all get out. Grandson looks at me and goes "you had that right".
Fun time. Good kid as he's like grandpa and doesn't get poison ivy. The family hopes the best for him as they say the poison ivy thing is the meanest keeps it away from me. I think not.

That's a great moment there. :smiley_bril: