Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well I guess I got some activists angry.

Ricer2231

A guy at work traps them in his yard and then gets them spayed or neutered for $25 and then let's them go again. Not something I'd waste my money on, but that's cool for him.
For some unforeseen reason people feel the need to drop the occasional furball in our neighborhood. But with the number of hunters in the neighborhood they don't seem to stick around TOO long. I'm not saying they are killed, they just don't stick around TOO long.
In my opinion I have never seen ANY cat that was worth $25.00, let alone a neighborhood wanderer. I have set live traps in my yard and caught animals ranging from birds to groundhogs and yes I have caught a couple of the neighborhood wanderers that were dropped in the neighborhood and nobody claimed. And just between you and me they weren't neutered and released back into the neighborhood. But as Mike said to each their own.

As far as the mad activist, to hell with them. I haven't ever met a cat lover that wasn't somewhat of whack job anyway,that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

For some unforeseen reason people feel the need to drop the occasional furball in our neighborhood. But with the number of hunters in the neighborhood they don't seem to stick around TOO long. I'm not saying they are killed, they just don't stick around TOO long.
In my opinion I have never seen ANY cat that was worth $25.00, let alone a neighborhood wanderer. I have set live traps in my yard and caught animals ranging from birds to groundhogs and yes I have caught a couple of the neighborhood wanderers that were dropped in the neighborhood and nobody claimed. And just between you and me they weren't neutered and released back into the neighborhood. But as Mike said to each their own.

As far as the mad activist, to hell with them. I haven't ever met a cat lover that wasn't somewhat of whack job anyway,that's just my opinion.
Thats what happens here. We live in on a dead end street and have farms on two sides of us. People think they are the cats a favor.
Little do they know...they just signed that kitties death warrant.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I set live traps for the stray cats that run our neighborhood (caught 9 in three days last summer). The lady next door thinks I release them at a farm outside town. If she knew what was really happening she'd be pissed, she's one of those crazy activist types. She saw one day that I was baiting the trap with table scraps and told me I should use canned cat food. I asked her why I would waste 75 cents to bait a 37 cent cat. her reaction was exactly what you might expect.

Tiny

I asked her why I would waste 75 cents to bait a 37 cent cat. her reaction was exactly what you might expect.

LOL!.

I remember years ago, there was a fur company that would buy cat skins for $5. each. No joke.
I sent them 3 one year with the rest of my furs and I got the full price on each of them.

Ridge Runner

I set live traps for the stray cats that run our neighborhood (caught 9 in three days last summer). The lady next door thinks I release them at a farm outside town. If she knew what was really happening she'd be pissed, she's one of those crazy activist types. She saw one day that I was baiting the trap with table scraps and told me I should use canned cat food. I asked her why I would waste 75 cents to bait a 37 cent cat. her reaction was exactly what you might expect.

That 's .37 more than I would give for one.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have no problems with thinning out or culling ANY cat that runs wild in my community. Much the same way with dogs that run wild. Just have to be discret about it!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
A great man once said "SSS - shoot, shovel, silence"
(I really liked that and it stuck with me)

could be amended to "SDS - shoot, dumpster, silence"

rooster85

Lake County
Im a cat lover, I have three indoor cats that never go out into the yard. That being said, feral cats are a nuisance and are dealt with accordingly. If I find kittens that are young enough to be socialized then I drop them off at the vets office or to a dairy. With all the coyotes around dairies are always looking for mouse control technicians. I like one or two in the barn but that's it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Im a cat lover, I have three indoor cats that never go out into the yard. That being said, feral cats are a nuisance and are dealt with accordingly. If I find kittens that are young enough to be socialized then I drop them off at the vets office or to a dairy. With all the coyotes around dairies are always looking for mouse control technicians. I like one or two in the barn but that's it.

If you like them the dairy would be a better plan. about 70% of all cats dropped off at a vet or humane society are euthanized. And most of the 30% are kittens. Something like 95% of cats that aren't kittens get the needle.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I dropped a half dozen cats off over a summer once some years ago, after dropping off the last one the dairy farmer said I was wasting my time because the cows were killing them as fast as I dropped them off.... Apparently city cats are'nt smart enough too stay away from a cow getting milked.... :smiley_clap:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ridge Runner I would say you are going to fit in just fine around here. Just don't let out where you live to those wackos.

0225100254.jpg

Best target practice there is! I even had one as a coyote decoy. (It had previously expired)